Posted at 6:00 AM ET, 09/25/2008

The Morning Line: Today's Comics, "Sponsored" by Target.

By Michael Cavna

Times are tight in comics land, and new revenue streams must be tapped. What's your visual evidence, you say? My cheeky reply: Direct your gaze, if you will, to today's "Mother Goose and Grimm."

Will the "Arrow" shirt company want to advertise here next? (KFS) Enlarge Comic

There in Mike Peters Land is a reference -- if not a painful pun -- to the brand that be Target. Yes, if feature films and TV shows can engage in such commercial shenanigans for fun and profit, then comic strips can ride that gravy train, too.

Nonsense! you scold. Well, I urge you to be on the lookout elsewhere.

A few brushstrokes short of a million-dollar deal? (KFS) Enlarge Comic

Check out Dagwood's pajamas. Why, they're just a few inkstrokes from being Target-brand PJ's. (Which would be a reassuring touch, actually, for "non-elitist" Dagwood.) At this rate, branding might become it's own "Where's Waldo?" game on the funnypages.

Either that or brands just make for big fat and comically fun, well, targets. (Wal-Mart, anyone?) What punchline-friendly brands should Mike Peters and his cartooning cohorts fix their focus on next?...

By Michael Cavna  | September 25, 2008; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  The Morning Line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The E-Mailbag: Which Comic Would You Drop? Act Now.
Next: The Interview: Comic-Book Writer Grant Morrison

Comments

You're kinda stretching, aren't you? I mean, I like the premise but the Target reference was there solely for a very awkward pun. I doubt anyone has ever called archery practice "targeting".

I like when the strips make up their own names based on real stores. Some of them are pretty creative and on target (so to speak), like Adam's "Bigbucks" coffee chain. I recall Candorville doing a couple of really good store names, but I haven't kickstarted that part of my brain yet.

Posted by: f2 | September 25, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Indeed, f2, "Starbucks" punning is an oldie but a goodie. In the '90s, my strip called the chain "Fivebucks" and "Zits" called it "Fourbucks"; by now, I'd bet some cartoonist has risen the pun's price tag to $6. And for my money, no cartoon has topped "The Simpsons" for continually inspired punning signage.
--Cavna

Posted by: M.C. | September 25, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

For the last, oh, year or so the fast-moving plot line of Mary Worth has centered on her neighbor Toby's suffering from identity theft that was caused when she responded to a Phishing e-mail from a thief posing as (apparently) the only store from which she has ever charged anything, "enormoushop.com".

Posted by: Seismic-2 | September 25, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

It won't be long before it's like Idiocracy..."Secretary of State, sponsored by Carl's Jr."

Posted by: Mike | September 26, 2008 7:23 AM | Report abuse