Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 10/20/2008

The E-Mailbag: Your Vote Here--What Should Replace Opus?

By Michael Cavna

Some 200 newspapers are deciding what to do once Opus waddles off into the sunset next month -- and off their Sunday pages for the last time.

As the fateful day nears, who will fill his flipper-sized shoes? (WPWG)

So far, the sales for "replacement" strips appear to span the spectrum, from one-panel comics to rookie strips. (The Daily Cartoonist recently listed reports from the various precincts 'round the nation.)

So what, oh what, will The Washington Post do? Comic Riffs recently asked you what should inherit Opus's real estate. Of the scores of responses, certain strips -- "Tom the Dancing Bug," "The Knight Life," even "For Better or For Worse" -- dominated the field. (And perhaps the most novel suggestion goes to the idea of re-running the original "Bloom County.)

Now, it's time to cull from your 15 most-cited strips. Vote for your favorite from among these finalists -- and may the best strip win. The comics editor will surely be looking in, but this vote isn't binding.

COMING WEDNESDAY: An interview with "Opus" cartoonist Berkeley Breathed.

By Michael Cavna  | October 20, 2008; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  The E-Mailbag
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Morning Line: Readers, Time to Write Your Own Plotline
Next: The Morning Line: 'Zippy' Creator Draws on Real (Pungent) Maryland

Comments

Arlo, Bizarro, Knight Life, One Big Happy. Any would be a good fit. Maybe Over the Hedge.

If you're going seven days, pick up Chickweed or Luann or Rudy. I mean, I like Foxtrot but most of the recent Sundays were "Jason Hates Page" strips, and a new reader would be lost on even this simple interaction. What's going to happen when the alien visitor or the talking chimp shows up? You even need to know how the three girlfriends interact to enjoy Luann.
(By the way, Greg's a dope. What does Toni have to do? Attack him?)

I'm not sure Tom fits on the funny page, but if you can get rid of that "what's the difference" thing in the magazine, put Tom there!

Posted by: f2 | October 20, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I haven't seen today's Watch Your Head yet. Is the Wizard of Odd storyline still going on? Is he ever going to get home? Will his friends get brains, heart, courage?

Posted by: f2 | October 20, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I voted for Snuffy Smith, but only because Bloom County wasn't in the poll.

Posted by: j | October 20, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

9 Chickweed Lane. National Cartoonist's award-winning strip. Or is it too erudite for the Post?

Posted by: Alan Dean Foster | October 20, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Liberty Meadows should be on the list, the drawing's great, Frank Cho is local, and it'd actually funny.

It seems like you guys might still be mad about him dropping the strip before, but it's back and deserves another shot.

I don't have any stake in this except I like the comics.

Posted by: jfg | October 20, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

but it's back and deserves another shot.

Posted by: jfg | October 20, 2008 1:53 PM

Sorry, in what way is it back? I haven't seen any new strips, do you have any news?

Posted by: JkR | October 20, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Most of these strips are dailies, whereas Opus was once a week.

BB

Posted by: Fairlington Blade | October 20, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why For Better Or For Worse was dropped to begin with, when there are still new strips being written and it was the most popular strip in the paper before the 'end'. Do folks really want to see 50 year old Peanuts strips more than new FBOFW?

Posted by: Rezree | October 20, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Why no "Flaming Carrot" or "Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers"?

You guys are discriminating against FUN with your list of 1980's-90's titles!

Perhaps you should just make room for nothing but "Nancy" strips and clear everything else off the comics pages?

Posted by: JBE | October 20, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

JBE: you should have suggested those--or any other titles involving fur, flames or freaks--when this blog asked for reader nominations days ago.....ure late to the party!!

Posted by: Fabulously Late | October 20, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Dang, I'm old. I remember the late 80's as the golden era of Sunday/Daily comics - Calvin and Hobbes, Bloom County, Far Side, and Foxtrot when it was fresh. Nowadays, the only must-read strips for me are Get Fuzzy and Pearls Before Swine.

Posted by: GetOffMyLawn | October 20, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I missed the suggestion box the first time. I voted for Chickweed here, which is excellent, but the best new strip to come along in quite some time is Frazz. The Post should definitely pick Frazz up.

Posted by: Lisa | October 20, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

How about XKCD?

He recently did a cartoon off with the cartoonist from the New Yorker?

or maybe Cyanide and Happiness
www.explosm.net

Other options:
We the Robots
Perry Bible Fellowship

Posted by: Andrew de Andrade | October 20, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

You plugged it on this blog just last week, so why not "The New Adventures of Queen Victoria?" That's a strip that deserves to be in print, if you ask me.

Posted by: Andy Paulsen | October 20, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

I've been a faithful reader of Her Majesty's adventures since she started on "Comics Sherpa" at http://www.gocomics.com and would love to see "The New Adventures of Queen Victoria" in print! Seconded!

Posted by: Bryan Irrera | October 20, 2008 11:24 PM | Report abuse

"The New Adventures Of Queen Victoria"! Thirded!

Posted by: Matt T. | October 21, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

1. Tom the Dancing Bug
2. Pooch
3. Calvin

Posted by: J. Meahan | October 21, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Tom the Dancing Bug, please. I don't think I've opened the "Weekend" section once since they dropped it.

Posted by: Drew | October 21, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Please, please, bring back Tom The Dancing Bug, if not to the Sunday Comics, then to the Weekend Section, which should never have dropped it in the first place.

Posted by: RW | October 22, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

How about running a cartoon contest for a brand new strip? There are plenty of talented cartoonists out there; it would be nice to give them a chance too instead of using the same retreads. The Miami Herald held a competition last year that enabled the winner to be showcased in several Sunday editions I believe. Why not do the same for the post?

Posted by: Amanda S. | October 22, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Tom the Dancing Bug. The most consistently intelligent humor and satire I've ever seen in the Post. I'm shocked that the Post staff would ever cancel it.

Posted by: Justin | October 23, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse