The Riff: Comic Riffs Gives Thanks
With Thanksgiving just hours away, Comic Riffs pauses to give heartfelt thanks to a handful of things. To wit:
1. I AM THANKFUL THAT "Get Fuzzy's" Rob Wilco is on the front lines of the war on Feline Homeland Insecurity. Watching Bucky Katt from a safe distance is a daily treat; were he in MY home every day, however, I would be forced to hire Garfield as my kitty bouncer. Congratulations, Rob -- your country (just south of Buckyvania) thanks you for your service.
2. I AM THANKFUL THAT "Doonesbury's" Garry Trudeau does not forget about our men and women in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere. No matter one's politics, it's hard and calloused not to appreciate his efforts at reminding readers of the troops -- both abroad and back home.
3. I AM THANKFUL THAT "Pickles" so reliably -- and so rightly -- reminds me of my older relatives by striking pitch-perfect tones that ring familiar. The relatively young Brian Crane must be a keen observer, because his senior citizens -- even their brand of warmly teasing humor -- practically walk off the page.
4. I AM THANKFUL THAT "Speed Bump" is consistently my favorite single-panel comic in the post-"Far Side" era, while remaining original and -- unlike some other Larsonian descendants -- so utterly distinct from "The Far Side."
5. I AM THANKFUL THAT the Web provides exposure to so many talented cartoonists who can't crack the often-shrinking comics pages across the country.
6. I AM THANKFUL THAT a few scores of staff political cartoonists still have newspaper jobs in this shifting mediascape. Their voices are especially vital in dire times.
7. I AM THANKFUL THAT The Washington Post is committed to providing pages of print comics; yet more comics on Post.com; and to a blog that allows coverage of those comics.
| November 26, 2008; 11:00 AM ET
Categories: The Riffs
Save & Share: Previous: The Morning Line: Holiday Highlights in a Hurry
Next: The Morning Line: Thanksgiving Comics, in Six Minutes or Less
The comments to this entry are closed.