Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 12/15/2008

The E-Mailbag: Which Legacy Strip Should Get the Boot?

By Michael Cavna

As 'Riffs increasingly gets word of new strips that syndicates are lining up to launch in the new year (next up, we hear: the cheeky action-adventure strip "Rip Haywire"), I can't help but wonder: Should The Post decide to pick up one of these new features, what current offering does it drop?

On this blog, the drumbeat by commenters often pounds loudest for legacy strips (aka "zombie strips") -- that is, those whose creators have long since gone to the Great Thought-Balloon in the Sky.

So before the new year brings its fresh strips, Comic Riffs polls anew: What current legacy strip would YOU drop? If we set aside the serial/adventure strips for today -- because they are such a different (oversized) animal -- we are most prominently left with strips created by the late Dik Browne and Chic Young (both "Hagar" and "Blondie" are now continued by family members); Hank Ketcham ("Dennis the Menace"); Bob Thaves ("Frank & Ernest"); and Charles Schulz (the "Peanuts" reruns).

So I turn the floor over to you. And note: These results are nonbinding, though they are sure to spur speculation, chatter and innuendo.

By Michael Cavna  | December 15, 2008; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  The E-Mailbag
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Morning Line: The Don't-Miss List: Today's Top Five
Next: The Morning Line: Pick-Five: What Strips Should The Post Add?

Comments

I said Peanuts because they're all reruns. At least the other occasionally have a spark of life in them.

Posted by: Hemisphire | December 15, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

In this list, Dennis has to go. He's just not that much of a menace anymore....

Posted by: JkR- | December 15, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

These are all perfectly fine relative to Beetle Bailey.

I LOVE Frank and Ernest!

Posted by: gotmce | December 15, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I voted to deep-six Dennis, but I'd have happily voted for (F) All of the above.

Posted by: truamerican | December 15, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

You forgot the "All" option on the poll. People craving these relics of the past can buy books filled with them, or find them at the library.

To keep the fans of these outdated strips happy, though, how about setting aside one slot and running a comic from that group in it, on a rotating basis.

Posted by: pagun | December 15, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Favorites aside, I notice that they're all strips except for Dennis, which is a single panel. I would think that any replacements would have to be a compatible format.

Posted by: tws1372 | December 15, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

What, not Beetle?

Of these, I least like giving valuable real estate to strips that have already had it before, so Peanuts gets my vote.

Posted by: oceanchild | December 15, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I voted Peanuts, for reasons already stated by others, but I'd have appreciated an "ALL" option.

Posted by: drewdane | December 15, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

>> to Oceanchild:

Riffs didn't include "Beetle Bailey" because we hear its creator, Mort Walker, is not only quite alive at 85, but also quite active in the cartooning biz. Why, just last week:

Posted by: cavnam | December 15, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Keep Frank and Ernest...so good. Peanuts and Beatle Bailey should go. I read Blondie and hubby reads Dennis. It does take all kinds......

Posted by: ZeldaJane | December 15, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

pagun , good idea.

Posted by: marshlc | December 15, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lemming95 | December 16, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

fr lemming95:

>Can you get them to drop FBOFW . I keep mistakingly read it-it is almost ainfully bad in art and humor. The experiment has failed. Turns out you can't go home again.<

Um, so don't READ it. LOTS of others love FBOFW, and I'm one of them!

Posted by: Alex511 | December 17, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Hagar would not be missed by me. I don't care about Dennis either way. Peanuts has great content and Frank & Ernest has charm - keep those two. However, Blondie is wonderful no matter how old it is, that's irrelevant. Great art and lively characters. This single panel from 10/13 blew me away. The juxtaposition of of a bright faced Blondie in motion followed by juggling Dagwood. The two salesmen commenting and other figures and depth of scene in the shopping mall. This is the kind of graphic story telling that raises it above other comics.

Posted by: hdradio | December 17, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I would have voted to dump Doonesbury if that had been an option. Someone should tell Garry Trudeau that Doonesbury jumped the shark years ago.

Posted by: coffee2 | December 18, 2008 1:34 AM | Report abuse

I love all the legacy strips. I'm an old coot. Drop stupid strips On the Fastrack and Little Dog Lost. They are not even a little bit funny.
Being an old strip is not a crime. Being stupid and not funny is a crime.

Posted by: flexy12 | December 19, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse