Posted at 6:00 AM ET, 12/16/2008

The Morning Line: Pick-Five: What Strips Should The Post Add?

By Michael Cavna

Comic Riffs has little patience for ancient, frozen-in-amber comic strips that long ago died creatively -- whether or not their creators have. 'Riffs hasn't cast "Blondie" into that slag heap, however. Not that I wouldn't relish the chance to freshen it some -- the jolt of a Dagwood layoff, perhaps, or Blondie launching a new career -- but the strip has aged about as well as a near-80-year-old can.

Apparently, though, squatting in that camp, I might be in the minority.

Yesterday, 'Riffs asked you to pick a "legacy strip" that you'd dump from The Post's funnypages. More than a few respondents looked at the five choices we offered and had a definitive response: "All of 'em."

A clean sweep, eh? This raises an interesting notion: If you could boot EVERY "legacy strip" out of The Post, what five candidates would you replace them with? 'Riffs is now taking your suggestions: Time to play Pick-Five.

Which five strips would you want to see The Post add?

NOW, ON TO TODAY'S FUNNIES...

"GET FUZZY" has my fave semi-subtle sight gag of the day.

I'm havin' a laugh worthy of Ricky Gervais thanks to the fact that Bucky Katt -- in trying to draft McManc for a presidential bid -- is holding what he considers the ultimate get-up-to-speed reference work: "America." As in, the best-selling book by Jon Stewart and (as Denis Leary was quick to point out on the show) the "Daily Show" staff.

Tip to Bucky: Just don't open the book to the page of full-frontal nekkid Supreme Court justices. My eyes, they still burn.

The confluence of "SHERMAN'S LAGOON" and "PEARLS BEFORE SWINE" provide my biggest comic surprise of the morning: Who knew so many critters had the bomb?

Apparently, while my attention was diverted, quite a few species gained nuclear capability. (Do we have "Pogo" to blame?) My next hope, in light of this news, is that the supersized animals in "Mark Trail" get the bomb. Sorry, Rabbit, but payback's a real devil.

Lastly, on the matter of "MOTHER GOOSE & GRIMM": Seems an irony wrapped in a satiric riddle that today's gag is so old, you could -- well -- count ITS rings.

(Full disclosure: Not that I didn't do essentially the same joke myself in, oh, 1999. I like to think I "freshened" it.)

By Michael Cavna  | December 16, 2008; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  The Morning Line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The E-Mailbag: Which Legacy Strip Should Get the Boot?
Next: The Political Cartoon: Eyes Closed, Time Magazine Picks Its Top-10

Comments

The only strips I want to see added to the comics page are currently e-strips available only on the Net: Bill Holbrook's furry strip "Kevin and Kell" and Tatsuya Ishida's "Sinfest," which isn't family newspaper-friendly but is still a great strip.

Posted by: drazen1 | December 16, 2008 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Two that I'd like to add are Jump Start and 9 Chickweed Lane.

Posted by: oceanchild | December 16, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I highly recommend

- Ink Pen (employment agency for cartoon characters)

www.gocomics.com/inkpen

Posted by: LannyG | December 16, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I think the Post should add "Tina's Groove" by Rina Piccolo to it's comics page.

Posted by: scipio63 | December 16, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

The Post should add"Pooch Cafe" from Paul Gilligan to replace a legacy strip, and so you can kill one if the legacy panels, and because it it truly funny..."The Argyle Sweater" by Scott Hillburn.

These can be previewed at gocomics.com

Posted by: dpohman | December 16, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpohman | December 16, 2008 11:04 AM

Both of those are in my morning Post. Perhaps the paper you're getting is defective?

Posted by: JkR- | December 16, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

second on the jump start

Posted by: startasyoumeantogoon | December 16, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

9 Chickweed Lane! Loss of virginity strips!

Ok, that won't appeal to everyone, but it's a good strip where characters actually change and grow.

Posted by: Mrhode | December 16, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the legacy strips, I'd keep Frank & Ernest. It's a nice single panel gag with puns so awful you can't help but chuckle. It's refrigerator worthy.

Suggestions for inclusion:
Retail, by Norm Feuti. What if Dilbert worked in a shopping center department store?

You carry Lio, how about Heart of the City as well?

Sheldon by Dave Kellett is lots of fun! Evil, Inc. by Brad Guigar is another great webcomic, and since you don't carry Spider-Man, would placate your superhero demographic.

Find space, either on the comics page, or maybe in the Style section, and run an historical strip at the original size, including Sundays. Later Gordo strips would be fantastic to see. Or maybe a classic run of Li'l Abner Sadie Hawkins strips. (Or perhaps the ones which mention the Federal government.)

And there's Dr. Seuss' Hejji strip!

Or perhaps, commission an animator or comicbook artist to create a weeks worth of strips. Or a month. Kramer's Ergot revived the broadsheet recently. What could someone do with an entire page of Sunday?

Posted by: TorstenAdair | December 16, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

I have three that I would like to see added. Over The Hedge, Shoe, and Gasoline Alley. Yes I know the last one is a dreaded "legacy" strip, but I read these three in the NY Daily News and enjoy them. Shoe was once in the Post and I have forgotten why it was dropped. I wrote in the other "Which Legacy Strip Would You Drop" comments that Hagar could go, so could Beetle. And I'm so tired of Garfield and On The Fastrack. These strips have at most three jokes and we've seen them all a million times. The Piranha Club and Lio are getting this way.

As long as I'm writing likes/dislikes:

Appointment reading - Zippy The Pinhead, Pearls Before Swine, Cul De Sac, Judge Parker, Mutts and Big Nate. Prince Valiant, Mark Trail and Flashbacks on weekends.

Strips I like - Zits, Candorville, Non Sequitur, Baby Blues, Frazz, Get Fuzzy, Pickles, Baldo, Brewster Rocket, Classic Peanuts, Curtis, Blondie, Mark Trail (weekday).

Posted by: hdradio | December 17, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

"Shoe" was dropped when it too became a "legacy" strip, upon the untimely death of Jeff MacNelly.

"My Cage" would be an OK addition to the Post.

Posted by: seismic-2 | December 17, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse