Posted at 10:30 AM ET, 01/ 6/2009

The Morning Line: Today's Topic? YOU Name It.

By Michael Cavna

There are so many comic strips 'Riffs could highlight today. We could muse on how "Non Sequitur" quickly pivots from a "Calvin and Hobbes"-esque parent/kid setup to a grimmer Wiley-ian scenario. We could tread into theology with "Zippy." Or we could simply dote on the "Cul de Sac" moose.

Instead, however, we will do none of the above. Today is "Tabula Rasa" Tuesday, blank slate -- whatever a reader wants to riff on, the floor is yours. If you've got suggestions or questions, quips or comic stumpers, Comic Riffs will follow your lead.

From A(dam) to Z(ippy, the field is wide open: What strip should be dropped? What should be added? And does "9 Chickweed Lane" suddenly deserve a PG-13 rating? (Let lips do what hands do, indeed.)

You've got the spotlight AND the soapbox. We invite you to Name That Topic...

By Michael Cavna  | January 6, 2009; 10:30 AM ET
Categories:  The Morning Line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Interview: 'Brewster Rockit' Cartoonist Tim Rickard
Next: The Morning Line: When is a Gag Too Old to Be 'Topical'?

Comments

>>commenter "jimbo1949" notes "Wiley's take on the 'wisdom' of newspaper layoffs in today's Non Sequitur":

Non Sequitur is so dead-on today, it's barely satire. (And it immediately found a home on our newsroom desk's black-humored Wall O' Doom.)

I should also note: Some newspaper editors haven't always appreciated Wiley's critiques of the newspaper industry--some not wanting to carry a strip that might criticize their "product."

Posted by: cavnam | January 6, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Michael, I am curious about "Cul de Sac" on the WaPo site. I only ever see the Sunday strips and never the daily ones. The link you provided brings me to the Sunday one and, of course, no moose. I always read "Cul de Sac" at Gocomics because of this. This is the only strip that this happens to. ??

I too thought the "Non Sequitur" hit it's target dead on especially in light of what you wrote about yesterday concerning newspapers. This strip sometimes looses me, but I still read it because when Wiley is on he really nails it.

Posted by: elyrest | January 6, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

>>elyrest:
That's a great question re "Cul de Sac." Sometimes this is a matter of paying a separate, added cost for a feature. The comics editor at Post.com says the site is looking into adding the daily "CdS" strips, so stay tuned...

Prompted by your post, I asked the strip's creator, Richard Thompson, about this. Needless to say, he'd like to see his dailies appear on Post.com, too.

And: I agree wholeheartedly re Wiley.

--M.C.

Posted by: cavnam | January 6, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

to somewhat stay on topic with newspaper related posts, I found this comic to be hilarious

I love reading newspaper comics but there are a lot of webcomics out there that are just as good if not better. sheldon is one of my favorites

Posted by: davesymonds | January 6, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

>>davesymonds:

thanks for the swell "sheldon" link -- as homer simpson popularly says: "it's funny 'cause it's true." (and i've certainly been a fan of dave kellett's since spotting his comics some years ago at the university of california san diego.)

and i share your fandom of good webcomics. in case you missed, here are five i recommend: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/comic-riffs/2008/10/five_webcomics_to_keep_your_ey.html

--M.C.

Posted by: cavnam | January 6, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Okay, how many others among us have noticed the possibility that "Funky Winkerbean" may be setting up for a nice mixed-race romance between long-suffering Les Moore and new(-ish) school secretary Cayla Williams?

I say go for it, personally...I love seeing WM-BF romances, but then again I'm biased. :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | January 6, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I know that cartoonists keep extensive files of objects they might want to draw, so that everything will look realistic. Someone should help our artists out by circulating a picture of a scythe, because no one seems to know how to draw one. The hooded figure of Death is usually depicted carrying something that looks like a slice of brie stuck on a broomstick.

Posted by: carletonkent | January 7, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse