Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 01/26/2009

What Caption Would You Create? Help-A-Cartoonist

By Michael Cavna

Morning, Cartoon Nation...

It's been seven years and, upon reflection, I'm still not satisfied.

(Michael Cavna) Enlarge Comic

Recently, I pulled this "Warped" cartoon out of a fat batch of originals and, re-reading, realized I hadn't nailed it. The art is ripe for the just-right caption, but darned if I just haven't found it yet. And that's where you smart and clever folk come in.

This cartoon needs two things: (1) a good caption; and (2) a good home. So write the winning caption and the original syndicated cartoon is yours -- simple as that. (And I'm not so presumptuous -- if you don't want it, we can donate it to a good cause.)

We've got a "comments" field. We've got an e-mail address: comicriffs@washpost.com. Please -- put me out of my seven-year itch to get it right.

By Michael Cavna  | January 26, 2009; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  The E-Mailbag
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: If Dilbert Can Become a Billboard, Why Not Dagwood Too?
Next: The Burning Question: Is 'Zits' Painting in the Off-Color?

Comments

Title: Parker and Hart's First Creative Dispute

"This was supposed to be a Middle Ages-themed strip!"

Posted by: psears2 | January 26, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Caption: The original Beat Generation

Thought balloon: "No son of mine is going to art school"

Posted by: jessecline | January 26, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Rejected Adages

The club is mightier than the brush.

Posted by: MStreet1 | January 26, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Title box:
"First Political Cartoonist"

Thought balloon:
"Layoff only way to save cave."

Posted by: FelixWashingtonPost | January 26, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

WHAT is the rectangular form on the left for? I recognize the unfilled thought balloon on the right. Captions usually go below... I'm completely confused by this.

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 26, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

>>to: Jumper1:

The left-hand box is yours to use (or disregard) as a set-up caption, as you see fit for your gag.

[*And you touch on a bane of some comic-strippers' existence: vertical newspaper strips don't readily allow for captions below the cartoon. Hence, the format of "Non Sequitur," "Frank & Ernest," "Rhymes With Orange" et al.]

--M.C.

Posted by: cavnam | January 26, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

caption: The world's first example of the "Basquiat factor"...

thought bubble: I'll just nudge the prices up a little faster..

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 26, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

The first art critic would be too obvious, so I'll go with:

Invention of the turkey club.

Posted by: pltrgyst | January 27, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Caption: The first extential debate ends badly.
Thought ballon:
"I killed all those and he gets immortality?"

Posted by: Montanan | January 27, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse