Posted at 11:10 AM ET, 02/ 9/2009

Smart Remarks: We Stop to Smell the Bon Mots

By Michael Cavna

We've had so many sharp/provocative/brutally honest/flat-out funny comments in recent days that today, we stop to smell the bon mots. Now, to enjoy a choice sampling of the remarks from you, a fearless band of witty Riffians:

Look at today's '9 Chickweed Lane,' where Amos is holding his cello so as to conceal the, um, uplifting effect of the "little good-luck kiss" Edda gave him just before he took the stage.
-- [Posted by:] greggwiggins

The most purely sexual strip is Brooke McEldowney's (9 Chickweed author) web-only strip "Pibgorn." ... Hard to top a beautifully-drawn comic concerning a pretty fairy & a randy succubus as it's main stars...
-- [Posted by:] Nautiker

In the dictionary, if you look up to the word "perspective", it lists as antonyms "Gil Thorp".
[Posted by:] seismic-2

Have to agree with "Cathy." She used to be funny, now she's just a whining yuppie.
--[Posted by:] jhershelredpuppy1

I try not to read the "Family Circus," even going so far as to cover it up, but it invariably infects my eyes.
-- [Posted by:] lgdc

I can't even figure out what's going on in Piranha Club, and yet here I am, reading them every day.
-- [Posted by:] oceanchild

Mark Trail. A perfect aesthetic experience -- the awkward poses, the musty plots, the lack of contractions.
--[Posted by:] Alan_A

Sam and Abby [in "Judge Parker"] have the s*x drive of a couple of panda's, without the success.
--[Posted by:] JkR-

Somehow I still always read Beetle. Probably because I forget what it was about almost immediately, and there's some subconscious hope that it'll actually make me laugh one day. Not going to happen.
--[Posted by:] stickler

Despite my better judgment, I read Mark Trail! Just to see if every line of dialogue still ends in an exclamation point!
(It does.).
-- [Posted by:] aweintraub

If there's a comment you think is Riffy-worthy, now's the time to give it a shout-out.

ELSEWHERE...

This blog is quickly (based on much feedback) becoming the unofficial Pibgorn Appreciation site. Question: Would you like to see Pibgorn run in print newspapers too?

By Michael Cavna  | February 9, 2009; 11:10 AM ET
Categories:  The E-Mailbag
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What Comic Dazzles You With Its Art?
Next: Which Webcomic Are You Ready to Rally Behind?

Comments

Print "Pibgorn" in the newspaper comics? Shrinking it down to newspaper comic strip size and wiping out the wonderful coloring would be like giving the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel a second coat, using a roller. There are so many other strips that **ought** to get wider circulation in print ("My Cage" comes immediately to mind) that papers should go after those and leave Pibgorn as it is!

Posted by: seismic-2 | February 9, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I like the art in Heart of the City, it has a really loose free-hand style with varying panel sizes and stuff. Always interesting to look at.

Fred Basset always has some nice art too.

Posted by: jessecline | February 9, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I love Pibgorn, and would be happy for it to be seen more widely. I don't know if that can be done while keeping its unique style intact. Most newspapers, in my experience, would not have supported that cartoon's interpretation of A Midsummer Night's Dream, no matter that it was brilliant. If it could be done in print, in a manner that would make the artist happy, then I'd be delighted!

Other strips that I'd like to see more widely available are 9 Chickweed Lane and Frazz.

Posted by: AndrewfromNH | February 9, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Pibgorn and Chickweed should _totally_ be in print. Once editors drop all the lame-o strips that haven't had a fresh idea in _forever_, there should be plenty of room on the page.

P.S. Can anybody tell me where I can read "Prince Valiant" online (preferably without having to subscribe for $$)?
Thanks!

Posted by: enogabal | February 9, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Pibgorn and 9CWL are just wonderful strips. I doubt Pib can be shrunk to a size that would work in a daily newspaper.

Posted by: kcghost | February 9, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

tee hee, I commented on the wrong post...

Posted by: jessecline | February 9, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Pibgorn would work as a comic strip in the pages of a newspaper -- partly for technical reasons and partly for the reaction to it among those readers who think Beetle Bailey is edgy. But the next time the Post considers revamping their printed comic roster I hope they'll include 9 Chickweed Lane among the candidates. I only discovered "9CwL" online a few months ago (and Pibgorn through it) but it didn't take long for me to become a serious fan of Brooke McEldowney's work.

Posted by: greggwiggins | February 9, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

First off I love Pibgorn, the art, story lines, but...It would never survive a jump from the Web to daily newspaper strip. Assuming for a second that the artistic questions could be handled, it's pacing would make the daily soap strips' pace seem like they're in hyperdrive. As far as I can see the only other outlet for it is as a book. (which some of the stories have been released in)

The one I would like to see make the jump is Toby, Robot Satan so Pandolf would start doing Sundays strips for it.
Clix

Posted by: Clix | February 9, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Pibgorn probably wouldn't do well in the newpaper format. It would shrink to postage stamp size and the process would destroy the artwork detail. Enjoy it online. Now the trick is to find a way to fund it. I recommend you buy the books. Midsummer Nights Dream is a work of art. We need to convince McEldowney to bring out 9 Chickwood Lane as a collection.

Posted by: IGiveup1 | February 10, 2009 3:08 AM | Report abuse

>> IGiveup1:

"Hallmarks of Felinity," from some years back, is a particularly eye-catching "9 Chickweed Lane" collection that's worth recommending (though the price tag is eye-catching, too).

--M.C.

Posted by: cavnam | February 10, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

NO, NO, no Pibgorn, please. maybe its my age...I just don't "get" this strip...Lio is terrible. but Pibogrn just make NO sense. Yes, I have tried to read Pibgorn..and have no trouble skipping right over it.

Posted by: ZeldaJane | February 10, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse