Posted at 12:00 PM ET, 02/12/2009

Now Polling: What Gets Your Vote for Best Art?

By Michael Cavna

Time once again, folks, for my favorite interactive feature: The Wholly Unscientific Comic Riffs Readers' Poll. (*Your legitimate votes may vary.)

Several days back, you offered your thoughts on which comic-strip's visual style is the most dazzling. Now, from among your most oft-mentioned strips, it's your turn to vote for one:

By Michael Cavna  | February 12, 2009; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  The E-Mailbag
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's Shopping List: 1. Beer; 2. Death; 3. Comics
Next: Five Burning Questions: Take the Official 'Riffs Quiz

Comments

Pibgorn should win this going away, except that a lot of people haven't seen it.

Posted by: kcghost | February 12, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I find it interesting that 9 Chickweed Lane and Pibgorn, both by the same artist, have 32% of the vote. It looks to me as though his work is well regarded indeed.

Posted by: AndrewfromNH | February 12, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Pibgorn, of course, has a tremendous advantage in that it doesn't have to fit into a tiny space, appear in b/w, and still look sharp on newsprint. Maybe it should be in a special Web comics-only poll. Not that it matters, of course, since the poll will be totally hacked no matter what. Anyway, I had to vote for "Judge Parker", for all the obvious reasons. Now if that strip would just get out of the Alan-and-Sam discussions in the basement and go back to the party guests upstairs, life would be good again.

Posted by: seismic-2 | February 12, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm amazed Pib is even included in the list at all, given that it's kinda obscure. But far and away the best contemporary comic art out there - I'd say it even gives Asterix the Gaul a run for its money.

Posted by: knickname | February 12, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Judge Parker by the talented Eduardo Barreto is by far the best. Barreto has brought back the look of a true story/serial comic strip. Nolan's Rex Morgan is also very, very good.

Posted by: RobM1013 | February 12, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

The new Judge Parker and Rex Morgan are sizzlingly sexy, but they're not great art. They're sorta like those stark sexy girl posters that were popular in the 80s - I forget the artist.

Pibgorn, on the other hand, is real art. I defy anyone to read the Midsummer Night's Dream adapatation and tell me anything in the comics can hold a candle to it.

Posted by: knickname | February 12, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Sorry...have to agree that Judge Parker by Barreto is GREAT. And, it is great art. Realistic. Zits, Dr. Morgan and Phantom all are pretty good too.

I guess art is in the beholder. 9 Chickweed Lane and Pibgorn by Mr.McEldowney is fine art. It's a little on the kid story art for me, while Barreto's is more realistic. Both accomplish similiar missions. But, beauty is in the beholder. Opinions are like...everyone has them.

But, Judge Parker by Mr. Barreto gets my vote. He is bringing "sexy back" (to the newspaper comics). Apologies to Mr. Timberlake.

Posted by: RobM1013 | February 12, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Sure, Barreto does "good girl art" nearly as well as, say, Frank Cho. It comes close to rivaling what "Rocketeer" creator Dave Stevens would produce if he drew a daily comic strip. But Barreto's skill goes well beyond that - the layout, background, and expressions are excellent. In the recent "Scottsdale" story line there were obvious tributes to Frank Miller, which is of course commonplace in comics - except that here they were done well and worked to advance the storyline, not just to be trite and say, "Hey, I can imitate Frank Miller!". Barreto has really elevated the daily drama strip back to the excellent art form that used to characterize the medium, before the strips shrank so much, and he is to be commended.

Posted by: seismic-2 | February 13, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse