Posted at 7:30 AM ET, 02/ 3/2009

What's Your Fave Webcomic? Noms Now Accepted

By Michael Cavna

One thing's abundantly clear, based on yesterday's feedback from you, fellow Riffians:

As many newspapers cut back on their print funnies, many cartoon fans keep migrating online to get their fill of comic fodder. And as they do, webcomics reap some of the benefit.

Self-published webcomics, which continue to sprout like kudzu, frequently dare to go where mainstream comics can't. Which is definitely part of the reason I'm drawn to some of them. Because most don't seem to be vying (at least overtly) for mass-market popularity, their visions can be very personal, highly quirky -- and sometimes engagingly honest. The best ones neither grovel for my laughter, nor do they smugly assume it (as some syndicated comics seem to).

Like a fresh, confident acquaintance you quickly like, the best, most wonderful of webcomics just know who they are.

One of my favorite webcomics, for that very reason, is "The New Adventures of Queen Victoria," by Pab Sungenis.

"New Adventures of Queen Victoria" Enlarge Comic

The Victorian-style strip -- often rendered with repeated static images -- delights partly because, day to day, it follows its own whimsical vision. In other words, I'm surprised more by "Queen Vic's" wit in a week than I am by a year's worth of "Garfield."

Since so many of you are at least part-time OCR's (Online Comic Readers), the Burning Question o' the Day is:

What are your favorite webcomics?

Which ones do you check out often, and which ones keep you reading religiously?
The "comments" floor is now yours.

SPEAKING OF "CARDINALS": A META-POST...

I've gotten a few e-mails about my entry in the WashPost Blogger Super Bowl predictions, which -- for my money -- don't mean diddlysquat. Unless, that is, your predictions are reasonably right-on, in which case they reflect supreme prognostication abilities that reflect superior sports knowledge on par with Kornheiser&Wilbon and not, as it happens, sheer dumb luck.

I wrote that both teams would score in the 20s. I guessed that the Steelers would win by 3 (though not 4). I guessed that Roethlisberger would roar in the second half (check), that the Cards would overperform thanks to Larry Fitzgerald's gifts and Kurt Warner's experience (double-check) and that the Cards's special teams would made a crucial play to affect the game (check). But Santonio Holmes and James Harrison??

Which proves: Even as a former sportswriter, I know as much about the insider's NFL as Mr. Potatohead, a Budweiser Clydesdale or Alec Baldwin. Put together.

But I do know one thing: That trio starred in my three favorite Super Bowl commercials.

By Michael Cavna  | February 3, 2009; 7:30 AM ET
Categories:  The Webcomic
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Write a Caption, Win a Cartoon
Next: Three Words You Just Can't Say on the Funnypages

Comments

Medium Large.

Posted by: boutros23 | February 3, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

PibGorn is just a marvelous comic. Incredible artwork with beautiful characters and a subtle, intelligent wit.

I also like Jane's World.

Posted by: kcghost | February 3, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Achewood, XKCD, We the Robots. What the Duck (now syndicated as WTDuck).

Posted by: rhompson | February 3, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

In no particular order: Sinfest, Jack, Count Your Sheep, Dan and Mab's Furry Adventure, Tales of the Questor, Sabrina Online, Freefall. They and many more are all accessible through the link site belfry.com.

Posted by: drazen1 | February 3, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I have to second Medium Large.

Questionable Content is also quite good.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 3, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

No order: Dr. McNinja, Megatokyo, I Was Kidnapped By Lesbian Pirates from Outer Space, XKCD, VGCats, HoneySyn.
I will be checking out Queen Vic's.

Posted by: sophiex | February 3, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

User Friendly:

xkcd:

Posted by: wiredog | February 3, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Sheldon. Always and forever Sheldon.

Posted by: jaintxo | February 3, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Wiredog nailed it, but in reverse order 8;) :

1) xkcd: http://xkcd.com/

2) User Friendly: http://www.userfriendly.org/

Posted by: pltrgyst | February 3, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Penny Arcade, and xkcd (which is properly spelled all lowercase, guys).

I find User Friendly to be the Garfield of webcomics -- old, and perhaps considered 'classic', but not actually funny. It does occasionally have Nethack references though, so that's one point up on Garfield.

I'll have to check out some of the other suggestions here, including the Queen Victoria one.

Posted by: cocyach | February 3, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Oh, just noticed someone else mentioned Count Your Sheep. I used to be a big fan, though I feel like it's gone downhill a bit recently. But it can be very sweet and fun.

Posted by: cocyach | February 3, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Without a doubt: Templar, Arizona. Best webcomic I've ever seen for both writing and art. (Unfortunately, it's in kind of a slow bit right now, but start from the beginning to see what I mean.)

Honorable mentions: Cat and Girl, Anders Loves Maria (NSFW!), Penny Arcade, The Abominable Charles Christopher, The Zombie Hunters (thezombiehunters.com), Octopus Pie, Girl Genius, Order of the Stick, Something Positive, Gunnerkrigg Court, Girls with Slingshots.

(Wow, I knew I read webcomics, but I had no idea it was that many. And that's just my favorites. I think that's more strips than I actually read in the Post - but then again, most of the ones I listed don't publish daily.)

Posted by: beardo1 | February 3, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Sluggy Freelance....

Posted by: jamdl01 | February 3, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Sluggy Freelance, VGCats, Applegeeks, Girl Genius, Order of the Stick, Erfworld, Partially Clips, Dueling Analogs, Yuuma Hime Kalibourne (ooh, I think I butchered the spelling on that one), Broken Muzzle, and Fragile Gravity.

BTW, the fellow that does "Sheldon" and a lot of other webcomic folks are going to be at Katsucon in Crystal City in a few weeks. (www.katsucon.org)

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | February 3, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

xkcd, Girl Genius, Questionable Content, and Gunnerkrigg Court, as mentioned.

I also like Punch an' Pie (sequel to the now-over Queen of Wands, although it does stand alone, which should also be read), and Two Lumps.

Posted by: forget@menot.com | February 3, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Ebenezer and Snooch. Cats with attitude (like there are any withOUT attitude?)

Posted by: mwilliams834 | February 3, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Medium Large and Barkeater Lake for me.

Posted by: stewartflamingo | February 3, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Sluggy Freelance, xkcd and Dinosaur Comics (www.qwantz.com)

Posted by: tidalwv | February 3, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

PVP. Shortpacked.

Posted by: tomtildrum | February 3, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Pibgorn is both beautiful and always surprising.

Posted by: ndancis | February 3, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I read xkcd but don't always get it. I don't often read New Adventures of Queen Victoria but tend to like it when I do.

And I really liked Wally and Osbourne, but it seems to have gone into permanent hibernation.

Posted by: oceanchild | February 3, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, I love "Queen Victoria," but when I'm taking time to read other people's, I gravitate towards Toby: Robot Satan, Bleeker The Rechargeable Dog, Pinkerton, Mythtickle, and XKCD.

Posted by: PabSungenis | February 3, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

xkcd.com

geekculture.com/joyoftech

smbc-comics.com

myLifeinaCube.com

Posted by: regalmac | February 3, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Yes to Queen Victoria, Toby: Robot Satan & Barkeater Lake.

Posted by: rhompson | February 3, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Favorite strip:

www.scarygoround.com

www.pvponline.com

www.penny-arcade.com

Posted by: christopherhiles | February 3, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Yes to Medium Large, Queen Victoria, and Pibgorn (for the art, not the plot!).

Posted by: seismic-2 | February 3, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Schlock Mercenary. www.schlockmercenary.com

Following a group of ET mercenaries as they bumble their way around the universe

Posted by: mgaal | February 4, 2009 1:30 AM | Report abuse

I like many of those already named (I'm a Sheldonista forever!), and suggest folks check out Lovecraft is Missing, Jaephisch and the Dark Rainbow, and don't forget that Clear Blue Water is online now too.

Posted by: ctsheehy | February 4, 2009 3:36 AM | Report abuse

Amen to Pibgorn, Queen Vic, Jane's World, Barkeater and Blue Water. In that order.

Posted by: jimbo1949 | February 4, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for sharing. I laughed out loud. I will check this one.

Posted by: zerodefect01 | February 4, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I am completely addicted to the New Adventures of Queen Victoria ---- I subscribe so I get it sent to my email every day. Love it, love it, love it.

Posted by: Maalik | February 4, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

People have mentioned all the webcomics that I regularly look at, but blast them all now I've got a list of at least a dozen more to check out.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Posted by: elyrest | February 4, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Queen Victoria and C'est La Vie

Posted by: HallieRoseC | February 5, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

although a close second would be

Posted by: emporer | February 8, 2009 7:21 AM | Report abuse