Posted at 11:30 AM ET, 03/24/2009

Homage to the 'Doomed' Post Strips

By Michael Cavna

Perhaps in this case, even the prospective absence of several comic strips may make the heart grow fonder.

Today's "Pooch Cafe," for example, seems just that much more amusing as The Post prepares to kiss the print version of Poncho buh-bye. Your inky eyes will be missed, ol' friend -- at least until we pick up the Express.

Then there's good old "Zippy the Pinhead." Many folks don't appreciate Zippy's flights of cultural "Mad Libs" fancy, but honestly: Where else will you ever see the phrase "a soupcon of Sartre"?

And as our vigil for the print "Judge Parker" continues, Eduardo Barreto's art today looks particularly lush -- chock full of beautiful motion.

With D-Day 'round the corner for these strips, everything just seems a little brighter. Even in black and white.

NOTE:The Post's comics feedback hotline -- 202.334.4775 -- was filled to capacity last night with messages, but is now up-and-running again. So make sure to be heard regarding the dropped print comics.

By Michael Cavna  | March 24, 2009; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  The E-Mailbag
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Off to 'Watchmen'? Then sally forth!
Next: What Are the Best--and Worst--Comic Films Ever?

Comments

Little Lulu #127? Ah, a stanza of Stanley!

Posted by: seismic-2 | March 24, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Just when Judge Parker was getting better, too.

Posted by: oldgal49er | March 24, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

These three strips are vital, fresh, and always entertaining (if mystifying, and I love Zippy). I simply can't believe the Post is going to dump these treasures and keep tired piffle like Beetle Bailey, Curtis, Classic Peanuts, Dennis the Menace, Family Circus, and Frank & Ernest, to name just a few.

This decision makes no sense.

Posted by: stickler | March 24, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who thinks Pooch Cafe is consistently funny?! Why would it be dropped? I agree with Stickler... out with the oldies parade.

Posted by: gorilla_monsoon72 | March 24, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I really wonder if management even reads the strips.

How in the Good Lord's great green Earth can you keep Prickly City in the paper and take out Pooch Cafe?

How about all those strips from the 1950s?

It makes you think there's an agenda rather than a reflection on what makes the product best.

Unfortunately, when companies choose things because of politics or perception rather than making the product the best it can be, the consumers suffer short-term, but the company will suffer long-term.

And as the newspaper industry inches closer to the abyss, they should be concerned with quality, not who shouts the loudest.

Posted by: horacio2 | March 24, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm now reading the strips online, and saving $17.50 in delivery charges each month. Let the people who like Beetle Bailey, Prick City, Blondie and Dead Peanuts pay the freight.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 24, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

It will be a sad, sad day, if the Post no longer runs Judge Parker.

Based on comments and the polling, it deserves to stay. But, is anyone listening or caring at the Post?

Posted by: catman2530 | March 24, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Zippy rules!!

Posted by: Glimpy | March 24, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

The end of Zippy = the end of my 40 year run with the Washington Post.

Posted by: soilman29 | March 24, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

The end of the Judge = the end of my 20+ year run with the Washington Post. The Judge rules!!

Posted by: ellehcim224 | March 25, 2009 12:41 AM | Report abuse

So, you keep the tired "Peanuts", the dull "On the Fastrack", and the repetitve "Blondie", yet you dump "Judge Parker" when it is still a great strip and very relevant with the current storyline?

Or....dump "Sherman's Lagoon" which is a waste of space.

Posted by: rjpg | March 30, 2009 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Pooch Cafe wasn't even on Washingtonpost.com as promised. I had to go to http://poochcafe.com/ to find it. But here's the good news: from the Poochcafe site you can subscribe to an RSS feed for your daily Pooch.

Posted by: akamat | March 30, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I expressed my displeasure at the removal of Zippy, one of only three strips that I still read. Zippy has survived cuts before, but I fear this is permanent. Most of the comics are inane, but I am sure they have their supporters.

Posted by: milfords | March 30, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Pooch Cafe is a great comic, and consistently amusing (if not outright funny). Why cut a quality comic with interesting style? Why keep the repetitive "Curtis," "Blondie," or "Beetle Bailey"?

Just keeping cutting content, people. I'm running out of reasons to pay for 7 day service.

I'll close with a soft "ugg" - which could be a punchline (commentary?) for any of the three lame strips mentioned in my comment.

Posted by: AWiggin | March 31, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

The people who are loyal readers of "Zippy the Pinhead" are the ones who most appreciate newspapers. They are the ones who defiantly hold fast to what is authentic and true, like Albert Brooks in the movie Broadcast News, and who rely on good old-fashioned print newspapers to keep tabs on the world and enlighten their minds. Why on earth would the Post alienate the very same people who are most inclined to buy their product, just when their industry is starting to crumble???

Posted by: AClem | March 31, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse