Posted at 8:45 AM ET, 03/27/2009

Word From the Land of Comics Future

By Michael Cavna

Morning, Cartoon Nation...

Here at Comic Riffs, we have seen the near-future and be forewarned:

It's two picas smaller.

Yes, contrary to any "the universe is expanding" worries you may harbor, I've peered at next Monday's "working proofs" of The Post's redesigned funnies and have faced up to the reality that the comics will be slightly smaller.

And so it is that today, we bid farewell to a half-dozen print strips that depart to allow for two pages of consolidated comics. After two polls and roughly 2,000 total votes here -- as well as bountiful responses to The Post's "Comics Feedback" hotline and email address -- we hold out hope that at least one strip might be resurrected in the weeks ahead. After all, "Mark Trail" lives on because of a reversal.

Meantime, we bid adieu for now to these six print strips. And feel free to eulogize if the moment moves you:

Quick reminder: You're encouraged to call the Post's comics hotline (202.334.4775) or e-mail Comics Feedback (comics@washpost.com) to share your reaction to The Post's comics-lineup changes. Just because your comic might not appear Monday doesn't mean it won't be resurrected.

By Michael Cavna  | March 27, 2009; 8:45 AM ET
Categories:  The Morning Line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: He Who Gaffes Last: Our Fave Art Goof O' the Day
Next: Pat Oliphant Draws Fire Yet Again

Comments

"Eulogize"??!! How about be just angry and p.o.'ed?

After the announcement (officially in the paper), your comics editor conveniently goes on vacation, the Posts asks for feeback, does polling at comics riffs, with it all pointing to save at least one, maybe two strips and yet, here the Post management just plows along with their plan.

Eulogize??? No. Cancel my paper.

Posted by: catman2530 | March 27, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

After looking at the entirely ordinary roster of strips to be canceled, it makes me glad I cherry-pick my comic strips on the Internet. The only worthwhile candidate was "Zippy The Pinhead," and he was too hip for the house in Chicago where the strip appeared in the weekly alternative paper, the Reader.

Posted by: drazen1 | March 27, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

NOT the Quoteacrositic too! I never read the ones being removed (except for my FAVORITE Zippy the Pinhead), but the removal of the quoteacrostic is the one that rankles. That's the best part of the Saturday paper. And it's not even going to be available online. (sigh)

Posted by: ldh1111 | March 27, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

What's tragic about Pooch Cafe is the two single examples that you've shown in the last week have given me more laughs than 90% of the other comics in your paper have EVER given me.

The Washington Post is an inferior product for its exclusion. Shame on you.

Posted by: horacio2 | March 27, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

2 picas results in a savings of paper and ink. So, what's the excuse for making the online strips so tiny? Pixels are free!

Posted by: MSchafer | March 27, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Count me as one of those who wants Judge Parker to remain in the paper. It is far from ordinary. Plus, the fact that Mark Trail or Spiderman is left in the Post over the Judge is beyond ludicrious.

I really hope the Post comes to their senses. You could make a case for any of the proposed strips, but Judge Parker is at the top.

Posted by: RobM1013 | March 27, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I've made my comments here and in an e-mail to the comics editor decrying these poor choices. Now I guess we all just have to sit and wait and see what shakes down.

I have a feeling some of these decisions will get reversed. Come on, Hagar the Horrible over Pooch Cafe? Spider-man over the Judge? And Zippy's in a class by himself; the disgrunted fans will protest en masse as they did, successfully, the last time he was dropped, in 1996.

I think of some of the strips the Post has dropped over the years with nary a whimper from the readers...Andy Capp, Snuffy Smith, Born Loser, Broom Hilda, Cathy...and how there are lots of strips still running that I think would have the same response when dropped (that is, none). OK, keep the freakin' Classic Peanuts if you must, but I don't think there'd be a groundswell of protest for Hagar, or On the Fastrack, or Curtis, or Dennis the Menace, or Beetle Bailey, or Prickly City, or Spider-man.

It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks. If nothing happens, I will be rethinking my subscription.

Posted by: stickler | March 27, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Since the Washington Post is laying off people (at least via buyouts) right and left, may I suggest creating a vacancy in the position of "Comics Page Editor"? Practically any one of the hundreds of posters to this blog would be willing to do the job, and we would work cheap. The only problem is that we actually **read** and **enjoy** the comics. Does that disqualify us from applying?

Posted by: seismic-2 | March 27, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Right there with you seismic-2. I don't think the Comics Editor of the Post even reads these things. If research was done, it sure wasn't done via the paper or the website, because I never saw a survey recently (unless it was here at Comic Riffs).

Give me the job. I too love comics and read them. To not see Judge Parker in glorious black and white print each day in the Washington Post, will be downright unconstitutional.

Posted by: catman2530 | March 27, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

So, where IS the promised Judge Parker on-line?? I'm not finding it this morning.

Posted by: crystal4 | March 30, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Indeed, Judge Parker is not available on-line, as was promised. All that can be accessed from The Post's website is a week of strips from early February.

Posted by: greggwiggins | March 30, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse