Posted at 5:26 PM ET, 04/16/2009

Here Comes the 'Judge'! Strip to Return to Post's Pages

By Michael Cavna

It's official: After an impassioned response from readers -- not to mention thousands of respondents to two poll votes on Comic Riffs -- The Washington Post has decided to bring back "Judge Parker."

The serial strip -- which has enjoyed an artistic resurgence in recent years thanks to Eduardo Barreto -- will return to the Post's print funnies Monday.

So to all of you who replied by phone, e-mail and poll-vote to register your feedback and fandom of "Judge Parker": Congratulations. Your vocal loyalty resulted in a reverse decision for the Judge.

ADDENDUM: To make room for "Judge Parker's" return, the strip "Agnes" will migrate to KidsPost, where it will run several days a week.

ALSO: For more on the thinking behind the "Judge Parker" reversal, you can read Post Ombudsman Andrew Alexander's new column.

By Michael Cavna  | April 16, 2009; 5:26 PM ET
Categories:  General
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Line: On the Trail of the 'Judge Parker' Artist...
Next: Morning Quickie: Doonesbury Twitters, Ted Forth Teeters

Comments

So who gets kicked off the (too small to read) island in return?

Posted by: Hemisphire | April 16, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

In the past, when they tried to sell me the "New York Times," I would say "no paper without a good comics." But most of the current Post comics are too small for my glasses. I am back where I was as a child and looking at pictures.

Posted by: GaryEMasters | April 16, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

WINNER WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!

THANK YOU MY WASHINGTON POST!!!!

Now the artistry of Mr. Barreto can continue in the WaPo (even if it is a bit smaller)!!

Posted by: catman2530 | April 16, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

It does not matter which comics the Post runs as long as they are all so small the type is sometimes illegible and the drawings are hard to understand. Why not just kill the pages if they are not going to be readable?

Posted by: Charlie1 | April 16, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Get thee to the Tyson's Levenger store or just order one of these online. They rock for small print.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | April 16, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Post, with miniaturizing the comics continues to show its lack of concern for readers. The print quality has decreased and the overall paper quality is far from that of ten or twenty years. A prime example of deterioration is the choice of front page articles. In sum, the Post no longer reflects quality.

Posted by: Coda1234 | April 16, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey, at least we got the Saturday bridge column back....

Posted by: jkuchen | April 16, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Even with my reading glasses, in order to read the paper version of the comics now, I have to go to the window and hope the sun is shining. And Judge Parker would be the last one I'd have brought back...looks like the soap opera lovers won.

Posted by: capsfan77 | April 16, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Quit your crabbing.

Thank you Washington Post management/editors for realizing the misguided decision to take Judge Parker out of the comics!!

Glad it is coming back! Did I say THANK YOU!!!????

Thank you.

Posted by: alevine76 | April 17, 2009 1:33 AM | Report abuse

And if the Post dropped the horoscope they could bring back more comics. What's the point of running one anyway? You can get horoscopes anywhere?

Posted by: GWGOLDB | April 17, 2009 6:03 AM | Report abuse

It's rewarding to think that in response to an outcry the Post editors (who never read the comics themselves, of course) **might** listen to feedback from people who actually do read the funnies instead of relying on some contractor's poll of random people (most of whom really don't care at all), as they did when they picked the 5 strips they dropped.

However, restoring a beautifully drawn strip like "Judge Parker" to the Post but then printing it with each panel reduced to the size of a postage stamp sort of defeats the object of the exercise. Why not drop 2 (or more!) of the fossilized "legacy" strips and use the extra space to print JP in a size large enough for it to be appreciated properly?

Posted by: seismic-2 | April 17, 2009 6:10 AM | Report abuse

Quit crabbing? Isn't that what blogs are for? I crab, therefore I am.

Posted by: capsfan77 | April 17, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Excellent news! Hopefully in time to slap a few cheerleaders....

Posted by: JkR- | April 17, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I guess they didn't learn their lesson from Mark Trail years ago...

Posted by: subwayguy | April 17, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Of all the comics to bring back -- Judge Parker?

I want my Zippy.

Posted by: Theophylact | April 17, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Right on, Washington Post! Thanks for putting the Judge back on the comics bench of the Post.

And, it seems some got through to the head person at the WaPo, Katharine Weymouth, Publisher (grandaughter of the late Katharine Graham). Big thanks to Ms. Weymouth for her hand in the Judge coming back.

There is an article at the Washingtonian.com about Judge Parker coming back on Monday:

Posted by: Jam893 | April 17, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I think it was great for the Post to bring Judge Parker back to the Post.

MC>>:

Will the Judge come back both daily and SUNDAY?

Posted by: RobM1013 | April 18, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Of course I am delighted to be able to read Judge Parker from the printed page once again with my morning coffee. But viewing it on-line for a while has only reminded me how bad the shrunken version looks (and I do sort of like the color...).

Posted by: crystal4 | April 18, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Fine! Judge Parker is reinstated and you bump Agnes to Kids Post BUT WHAT ABOUT ZIPPY THE PINHEAD? Dingbergs!

Posted by: rrykken | April 19, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Nice to see the Judge back in the paper. But why was Agnes, an amusing comic drawn by a living artist, chosen to be relegated to sporadic appearances in KidsPost? It's not really a kids' strip. And if KidsPost is suddenly going to run comics, why not move Tank McNamara to Sports? And maybe Classic Peanuts can move to the obituaries!

Seriously, couldn't Hagar or something equally Horrible (sorry) have given way for the return of Judge Parker?

Rrykken, I'm also a huge Zippy fan and would love it back in the paper, but it just wouldn't work at the tiny new size. Actually, none of the strips are working very well in the new size. I find myself spending less and less time with the comics, and less and less time with the Post, while paying more and more. I'm starting to wonder why I bother.

Posted by: stickler | April 19, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Agnes isn't a comic strip for kids. It's a adult comic strip. It shouldn't be in the Kids Post section.

Posted by: oldgal49er | April 20, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

So we get tossed a small bone.

The comics are still too small, and there are still lame ones using up space. And Agnes, which was new and fun, is bumped to Kids Post which I suspect isn't long for the print world. Agree with Tank going over to sports; maybe the dead artist strips could be reassigned to the obits?

Posted by: mat00 | April 20, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Are you listening to your readers??? PUT AGNES BACK!!!!!! What a wonderful comic...a comic for adults not kids. Move something else to KidsPost or drop a comic by a "nonliving" cartoonist. If you must keep them, move Peanuts to Kids. Agnes is Me. My friends. We are not kids. She is the reflection of adult joy, pathos, and humor. Want her back where she belongs!!!!!

Posted by: Scadooodle | April 23, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse