Posted at 8:30 AM ET, 04/ 6/2009

Morning Quickie: Curse This Strip!

By Michael Cavna

THE MONDAY RUNDOWN:

Morning, Cartoon Nation...

The Further Adventures of Serial Strips Not Named "Judge Parker":
'Riffs doesn't mean to curse the darkness in today's "Spider-Man," but there's definitely something funky about that left-arm anatomy in the final panel. The angle of the forearm, how it meets the bicep -- this looks just off enough that it could be migrated to "Mark Trail."

Okay, sorry, that was not called for. No comic art this side of "Gil Thorp" is so funky that it deserves eternal damnation in Mark's Lost Forest.

ELSEWHERE...

FAVE GAG O' THE DAY: The menacing dialogue in the balloon. Then the suddenly not-so-innocuous visual. Today's "Speed Bump" is executed perfectly. Gags like this remind us precisely why Dave Coverly is nominated for the Reuben for cartoonist-of-the-year.

GUILTY GAG O' THE DAY: Chances are, this "peeps" joke has been perpetrated before, but what can I say? Maybe "Mother Goose" caught me in a weak moment, but I laffed. Aloud.

By Michael Cavna  | April 6, 2009; 8:30 AM ET
Categories:  The Morning Line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Twitter Interview: Political Cartoonist Mike Thompson
Next: The Interview: 'Monsters' Animator Phil 'Captain 3D' McNally

Comments

I agree. Dave's stuff is consistently the funniest of the panels. Plus he's a heck of a nice guy!

Posted by: andertoons | April 6, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I see the Post didn't bring back any of the comics they took out last week. I guess they feel they did the right thing? That's a shame. How they can keep some of the comics they did is beyond me?

May their circulation continue to drop.

Posted by: erinaustindj | April 6, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Conflated Comics

A lesson learned while scanning today’s miscroscopic comic pages: I need to imagine there are wider margins.

Reason: Mutts and Dilbert blended into one continuous strip.

Posted by: perrywho | April 6, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Yo, Comic Riffer:

Did you happen to catch the Saturday Night Live skit this weekend featuring comic strip characters coming up with ideas to save the newspaper industry? Not laugh out loud funny, but the Far Side lady was great. And, it was an obvious joke, but Marcie and Peppermint Patty going at it was hilarious. I can't seem to find the link at hulu.com

Posted by: JMay1 | April 6, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

>> JMay1:

Indeed, I posted on Twitter about it as soon as I saw it that night to say: The Sudoku character was an especially swell satiric dig. A few readers also liked the skewering of unfunny, overlabeled political cartoons. And I'd seen the Marcie-loves-Peppermint-Patty gag before, though they performed it just right.

Bottom line: Great premise ("save the funnies"), a bit witty, but not hilarious (if only THAT were the bit's ultimate meta-commentary on some comics--I'd tip my hat). And you've gotta think Lorne/NBC agreed: That's likely why there's no clip of it on Nbc.com or Hulu, but there ARE clips of the funnier Girlfriend Voice and Angelina-vs.-Madonna bits. Good episode, overall.

--M.C.

Posted by: cavnam | April 6, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

So, what's with the change of Adam @ Home?

Posted by: kjcat | April 7, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

>> kjcat:

The strip's creator, Brian Bassett, is devoting more time to his other strip, "Red & Rover" (Washington Post Writers Group). So Rob Harrell, formerly of the strip "Big Top," has assumed artistic duties of "Adam@Home" (Universal Press Syndicate, which announced the change earlier this year).
--M.C.