Morning Quickie: Ten Things We're Reading Now
Morning, Cartoon Nation...
So much good cartoon news, so little time to write about each in more than a Twitter-sanctioned 140 characters. So for your perusing pleasure, here's 'Riffs quickie reading list of recent items:
TEN THINGS WE'RE READING NOW:
1. With the print Seattle Post-Intelligencer shuttered and the online P-I chugging its way to full steam, P-I/Hearst political cartoonist DAVID HORSEY taps the current environment for this editorial cartoon...
2. Coincidentally, Columbus's JEFF STAHLER invokes Superman with his own take on what to him qualifies as not-so-heroic journalism...
3. Meantime, the cartoon "Penny Arcade" takes its own shot at the plight of print political cartoonists...
4. And Dave Astor, satirizing for the Huffington Post, includes a passage about the future of editorial cartooning.
5. The Postal Service announces that it will come out with stamps of "THE SIMPSONS."
6. Cartoon Brew features these 25 animators on Twitter.
8. Pittsburgh's ToonSeum will have a "Peanuts at Bat" exhibit opening tomorrow that showcases more than 40 of Charles Schulz's baseball-themed strips. The exhibit is organized by the Schulz Museum and Research Center in Santa Rosa.
9. Chronicle Books announces this book about life behind the digital scenes and shorts at Pixar.
10. And lastly, a reader flags this very early teaming -- for a World War II short -- by my cartooning hero, Chuck Jones, and the legendary Dr. Seuss. Two decades later, of course, these two would team their talents again for the classic "How the Grinch Stole Christmas."
POST COMICS UPDATE: Washington Post Managing Editor RAJU NARISETTI tells Comic Riffs: "Reader reaction to the changes continues to trickle in." He says Post management is continuing to weigh that feedback, including complaints from those wishing to see the return of "Judge Parker." So: Stay tuned!
| April 3, 2009; 8:30 AM ET
Categories: The Morning Line
Save & Share: Previous: The Twitter Interview: Cartoonist Daryl Cagle
Next: The Twitter Interview: Political Cartoonist Mike Thompson
Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | April 3, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: mat00 | April 3, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: robbinsondave | April 3, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: wchodgkins | April 3, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Jam893 | April 4, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: ruthnelson1 | April 5, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: bokamba | April 5, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: drewdane | April 6, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: RobM1013 | April 6, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.