Posted at 8:30 AM ET, 04/27/2009

The Latest "Post Power Rankings" Are In...

By Michael Cavna

Comic Riffs put out the call last week, and the passion of the reponse was strong.

Today we launch the Official Comic Riffs Power Rankings, an occasional gauge of which Post print strips you love -- and loathe. 'Riffs sought your opinions and, based on that feedback, here are the inaugural popularity lists.

Disagree? Then feel free to sound off. The next round of rankings will be altered based on your feedback.

THE TOP 10

1. PEARLS BEFORE SWINE
2. GET FUZZY
3. CUL DE SAC
4. BREWSTER ROCKIT
5. DOONESBURY
6. CANDORVILLE
7. RHYMES WITH ORANGE
8. LIO
9. JUDGE PARKER
10. FRAZZ / PICKLES (tie)

THE BOTTOM 10
(least popular )

1. CLASSIC PEANUTS
2. BEETLE BAILEY
3. HAGAR THE HORRIBLE
4. DENNIS THE MENACE
5. FRANK & ERNEST
6. FAMILY CIRCUS
7. CURTIS
8. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN
9. PRICKLY CITY
10. MARK TRAIL

By Michael Cavna  | April 27, 2009; 8:30 AM ET
Categories:  The E-Mailbag
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: When Obama Apparently Doesn't Lean Left...
Next: Vote Now: Judging the World of Caricature

Comments

Top 5 for me:

1. Zits
2. Judge Parker
3. Pickles
4. Bably Blues
5. Pearls Before Swine

Bottom 5:

1. Peanuts (it's a re-run).
2. Baldo
3. Frank & Ernest
4. Dennis the Menace
5. Spiderman (back to the past, almost a re-run)

Posted by: catman2530 | April 27, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm less interested in rating the strips today than in knowing if others had the same reaction to today's Garfield, that we now know if the cat was neutered.

Posted by: Phred22 | April 27, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

TOP 5
1. Zits
2. Sally Forth
3. Baldo
4. Baby Blues
5. Candorville

Bottom 5
1. Family Circus
2. Brewster Rockit
3. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (do you all still carry this?)
4. MARK TRAIL
5. Curtis- I just dont get it.

Posted by: jenandchris | April 27, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I think your top three is about right, I would go

1. Get Fuzzy

2. Cul De Sac

3. Pearls

I think F Minus, Brewster Rocket, and Speed Bump should be in the top ten.

Posted by: davesymonds | April 27, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I approve of these power rankings. : ) Well, except for Lio, but I can live with one off.

Posted by: oceanchild | April 27, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

It really doesn't matter what we like or dislike, of course, since the Post prefers to spend its money to hire an outside contractor to survey folks who seldom if ever actually read the funnies, and WaPo will let them decide which ones the Post should publish. Well, that sort of decision-making is why the Post editors make the big bucks and we don't, probably.

Posted by: seismic-2 | April 27, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh, seismic-2. You are so right.

Top five for me: Judge Parker, Baby Blues, Zits, Pickles and Pearls Before Swine.

Bottom: Peanuts, Dennis the Menace, Spiderman, Curtis and Hagar.

Posted by: alevine76 | April 28, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

This might be a little crazy. But why not get a readers group (derived from this blog) that helps decide on the comics page. New ones to add, old ones to take away. There were some good ideas about spreading the comics around to different sections. Lets look at local artists as well.

The post needs to realize that in this market they need to make their product stick out and offer something different than the other papers.

I know I selected the Post over the times because of 2 things (this is in 2001) 1: The comics page was 3x the size of the times and; 2: The times reporting was a day behind the post.

Posted by: buckeye96 | April 28, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

It came really close on my top 10, but I had to think about my "must reads" and so I would need to drop Lio (he and his creepy dad make my skin crawl), Brewster Rockit, and Candorville from my list and actually replace them with Non Sequitur and 2 from the bottom 10; Mark Trail (gotta see those talking animals, that 1950's look to everything, and the stilted dialogue.)and Peanuts (which to me still often seems relevant and shows how really good it was, particularly the older stuff before Rerun, and Snoopy developed an extended family). To the "bottom" list I would add Baldo and Sally Forth. You know what would also be interesting is the middle ground of what everyone's next 5 would be from the top. I'd actually pull Spidey, Hagar, Beetle, and F&E and put them in my vast middle ground; maybe somewhere about 15 from the bottom.

Posted by: blankspace | April 28, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse