Posted at 8:30 AM ET, 04/ 2/2009

Where Else Do You Go to Fill Your Comics Needs?

By Michael Cavna

It's a fact that stares us in the face even more closely than a foregrounded Bucky Katt in a fit of crazy-eyed piqué: If you're a fairly serious comics reader in this time of cuts, no one newspaper is going to satisfy all your needs.

When I grew up reading first the San Francisco Chronicle and then the Los Angeles Times, the print comics -- like elsewhere -- were bountiful fields of tints and tones and legible text. Which is why it was a revelation to me come 1998, when my syndicated strip began to find an additional reach with hundreds of thousands of online readers. Suddenly, it seemed, a cartoonist could have the best of both worlds.

Now, though, as a reader I find so relatively little in print (The Post section is still healthier than most), so I travel and trek to syndicate sites (such as the ones listed in the menu at right), wander from Post.com to the Houston Chronicle site, then all my fave smaller sites, including webcomics..

So the Question of the Day to you is: Where else do you go besides The Post print comics to get your fill of funnies?

By Michael Cavna  | April 2, 2009; 8:30 AM ET
Categories:  The Morning Line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who Keeps 'Garfield' Alive? Look to America's Youth
Next: The Twitter Interview: Cartoonist Daryl Cagle

Comments

I'm exclusively online. Because I moved out to the Midwest and our small, local newspaper just isn't worth the ink and paper it's printed on, so I canceled it within 6 months of moving here. (Then again, I grew up reading the Washington Post and the NY Times - I'm spoiled.) If I relied on their one half page of comics, I'd not be reading them at all.

So I'm here for some (out of habit - WaPo.com was one of the first really good online collections), a few web-only comics (like XKCD, UserFriendly, and Pibgorn) and a few at comics.com and gocomics.com for the ones WaPo.com doesn't have.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | April 2, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I've been using the Houston Chronicle's online service for years to read the comics that aren't available to me in print. They allow you to do a "Build Your Own Comics" page, where you can put as many comics as you want into a Web page that you can bookmark.
The only problems are it won't display Sunday comics unless you're a paid subscriber and there's at least one comic I read they don't have yet.

Posted by: kevinbe | April 2, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

First the Houston Chronicle online, then gocomics.com, then comics.com. That covers all the print strips that I care about.

Posted by: seismic-2 | April 2, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I do Wapo online, and get an email from comics.com. I occasionally check out cyanide and happiness or the new adventures of queen victoria. and I subscribe to the comics curmudgeon.

Posted by: cherylot | April 2, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Chron, gocomics...then the comedy sites like Curmudgeon and Dean's Comic Booth. I also check out Baltimore City Paper both in print and online, although much less frequently now that PBF has ended. I read a few webcomics, and of course everyone should read mine as well ;)

Posted by: jessecline | April 2, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Ah, the Usual Suspects: comics.com, gocomics, Seatte P-I, Houston Chron, San Antonio Express News.com has picked up Comics Kingdom. AZCentral has a nice list.
All my very favorites are somewhere findable.

Posted by: ZeldaJane | April 2, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Agree with all of the above. WaPo's is alright but not as extensive as others.

The King Features Comics Kingdom is starting to come onto more and more sites. I wonder if the papers that are putting on their sites are making any money off of it?

I also like to get digital editions of many papers that are out there and see the comics as they appear in the paper. The "e-edition". More and more are starting to include the Sunday comics (Detroit Free Press).

But, the WaPo print comics WERE the best. Now that it is only 2 pages (minus Judge Parker and smaller in size), not so much. Unless they are going to correct that.

Posted by: catman2530 | April 2, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I like WaPo's site because it keeps the list on each page and saves me from going back. AZ central has 3 of the King Syndicate that are not here. I moved all the ones I could to my Comic.com list because I joined to be able to arrange them and make comments (and sometimes enjoy the comments as much as the strips-9CL) for the rest, there is GoComics and I have bookmarks to others but only read these daily. Comics are the best way to start the day, and I end the day with my upstairs TiVo that is set to comedy only.

Posted by: vldazzle | April 6, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse