Posted at 7:30 AM ET, 05/ 5/2009

Frazz's Turn: Which Strip Should Go to KidsPost?

By Michael Cavna

Morning, Cartoon Nation...

'AGNES' (Creators)Enlarge Image

Blame it all on Judge Parker.

Because the Judge and Sam Driver and Abbey and Randy and Sophie ultimately proved so appealing to Post readers, their strip's return meant something had to bounce to KidsPost, that not-daily page aimed primarily at a pre-tween and tween audience. So what to relocate to KidsPost without upsetting the apple cart?

The first candidate in Operation: KidsPost Komic Kommute was "Agnes.". Now, though, The Post has decided to try "Frazz" in that tyke-friendly slot, returning Agnes and her snarky sarcasm to the main funnypages. The thinking behind the decision?

"I found it hard to find four 'Agnes' strips a week that I could feel comfortable publishing in KidsPost," says Tracy Grant, editor of Weekend and KidsPost. "Additionally, we heard from some readers who did not think 'Agnes' was a good fit. So we decided last week to try 'Frazz.' "

'FRAZZ' (UFS)Enlarge Image

Deciding which strip to publish only four days a week (not including the Sunday color funnies) is no simple feat, in terms of tone, continuity and potential reader outcry. (Imagine "Zits" being skipped twice a week. There'd be hel -- er, heck to pay. [Gotta keep it "squeaky KidsPost clean" today.]) And then there's the matter of: Which strips can sustain the size reduction in KidsPost, artwise?

So the official 'Riffs Reader Question of the Day is (purely for the non-binding sake of conversation): Which strip would YOU move to KidsPost?

ELSEWHERE...

CINCO DE MAYO-PEDIA: The kinda-cool thing about today's "Baldo" is: That origin-of-the-holiday wording quite literally is lifted verbatim from Wikipedia. Well, at least till some Wikiteers have at it, to spite Baldo. We'll see just how long THAT takes...

'BALDO' (UPS)Enlarge Image

LASTLY...

On Friday, 'Riffs predicted that the latest "X-Men" movie would spawn the cheesy, unholy headline: Wolverine "Claws Way to Top Spot!" Well, Variety.com's headline was: "Wolverine Claws to Top of Box Office." Then again, it ain't exactly rocket science.

By Michael Cavna  | May 5, 2009; 7:30 AM ET
Categories:  The Morning Line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mr. Spiegelman Goes to Washington
Next: The Interview: "Maus's" Art Spiegelman

Comments

Frazz is one of my favorites, I DO NOT like having to search for it in the morning and then try to read it's reduced size!! Move Garfield to the kids' post, I wouldn't miss that one if I forget to turn the page!

Posted by: MSluvs2run | May 5, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

I vote for Lio to be exiled from the comic page.

Posted by: MARKHAGNER | May 5, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Second moving Garfield.

Pity. It almost started to get good when Jon got a girlfriend, but then it dropped back to it's usual level.

Posted by: wiredog | May 5, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

I, too, hate having to search for Frazz, although I do note that it is certainly more kid friendly than Agnes. I vote you consign Peanuts or Lio or Garfield to the Kids Page. Frankly I'm very tired of Peanuts reruns being rerun over and over. I'd vote to permanently retire Peanuts from the Post, but I know that many people like its gentleness.
Also please do not make the comics any smaller. They're a real challenge to read now.

Posted by: jpec | May 5, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

The Post's editors (who of course don't actually **read** the comics!) decided that Agnes was a kid's strip, until (we read above) the Kids' Post editor told them it isn't. Now they've decided that Frazz is kiddy fodder, since it takes place in a public school. Again, if anyone actually **read** Frazz, they would know that it's the sort of strip that adults find amusing but that kids would likely find boring. I fear that (if the decision to re-locate Frazz should be overturned), next month the Post will decide that Pearls Before Swine belongs in Kids' Post, because it features cute little talking animals!!!

Get a clue, WaPo editors! Move to Kids' Post something that really is juvenile, such as Red and Rover, and put Frazz back with the grown-ups! (Then - better still - get rid of Red and Rover altogether and replace it on Kids' Post with Pooch Cafe, which many adults as well as kids would like to see return to the Post.)

Aren't you glad you read the WaPo funnies? Don't you wish the WaPo editors did, too?

Posted by: seismic-2 | May 5, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Move Garfield or Peanuts to Kids Post, even both of them. And bring back Pooch Cafe please.

Posted by: rhompson | May 5, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

- Keep Red and Rover where it is. At least its original.
- Move Garfield and Peanuts to the Kids Post.
- Kill Agnes, Watch Your Head, Mark Trail, Spider Man, Family Circus and Dennis the Menace

- Bring back Pooch Cafe

Use the rest of the space to bring in GOOD national and local comics. Stop using the retread and tired strips and bring people back to the paper with some content. Quit messing with our good comics you are making it worse and pissing us off.

Posted by: buckeye96 | May 5, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Please keep Frazz in the main comics pages and full-time! Though it may be "Kid-friendly," the comic operates on a much higher intellectual level that appeals to adults and goes right over the heads of younger readers. I was very unhappy yesterday when I had to search for it.

Peanuts is all repeats and is appropriate both thematically and intellectually for children. Garfield is also a children's classic and is appropriate for the Kids Post.

Keep Red and Rover and Lio where they currently are, please. I don't mind that Pooch Cafe is out of the full Post, since I can read it in the Express on a daily basis.

Posted by: MissFray | May 5, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Quoting Rat, "Readers hate change."

Posted by: MSchafer | May 5, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I hate to lose out on two Frazz's a week. They often have week-long continuity. For example, there is Franklin's annual "What literary character am I?" stunt. Peanuts or Garfield should move. They are the kid-friendly strips.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 5, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Peanuts or Garfield are the obvious choices; after that Red and Rover.

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 5, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I agree with yellojkt about losing the continuity from Frazz.

Moving Peanuts to KidsPost is really the perfect solution.

Posted by: oceanchild | May 5, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I join the chorus in urging that "Frazz" be returned to full-time status on the regular comics page. As so many above have said, "Peanuts" or "Garfield" would be a much better fit for the Kids' Post page.

In fact, "Peanuts" would seem to be the ideal choice, since it is in eternal rerun status, whereas "Garfield" is new every day.

Posted by: NotDoc | May 5, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Classic Peanuts is the obvious choice as kids may be the only demographic that have not read them before.

Garfield would be my second choice, as this seems to be another kid-only comic.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | May 5, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I'll second rhompson. Peanuts or Garfield belong on KidsPost (preferably Peanuts). Restore Frazz to its proper place and bring back Pooch Cafe!

Posted by: agefen | May 5, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Can we kill Kids Post? What dross...

But, if you're going to have a page for frightened children, then put Garfield, Peanuts, Red and Rover, Mutts, heck even Pickles on the Kids page. Then move Family Circus and Dennis the not so Menace there, or even to center of the classifieds for all I care.

Frazz 7 days a week! Bring back the Pooch!

Posted by: JkR- | May 5, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Said it before, I'll say it again: Peanuts and Garfield.

Posted by: bethesda6 | May 5, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Totally agree...

Peanuts should move to Kids Post. It's in re-runs for criminey sake.

If not, Peanuts, then Red and Rover or Garfield.

Does Shirley Carswell even read or understand who these comics appeal to?

I think seismic-2 hit the nail on the head...the WaPo's Editors, much less the Comics Editor, don't even read comics. They have their heads buried in spreadsheets of "research".

Posted by: RobM1013 | May 5, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Peanuts, Family Circus and Dennis the Menace can all go to the KidsPost (or be cancelled).

I like Agnes, and I want Pooch Cafe back!

Posted by: mat00 | May 5, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

First, please move Frazz back to the main page. We can't afford to miss two strips a week of this GREAT strip. Garfield or Peanuts work in the Kids Post setting, as others said, because they're still new to that audience.

I think it is actually a great idea to have a strip in the Kids Post because comics are great for kids - introduce them to reading them both on paper and on the web. But the current design doesn't incorporate the strip into the KP at all. Make it fit in more. Why not use the color version of the strip? And how about having a little feature to introduce the strip if (when!) the next change happens?

(N.B. the point that comics are great for kids: also made by art spiegelman in your interview with him)

Posted by: alicezzon | May 5, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

The fact that Frazz will only be printed a limited number of times during the week further justifies my cancellation of my Washington Post subscription, which occurred after the cancellation of Pooch Cafe. Bring back Pooch Cafe, I'll restart my subscription.

Posted by: awsnyde | May 5, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

As others have said, Frazz is one of the best currently running; bring it back to the main section (and also bring back Pooch Cafe!).

What belongs in the Kid's Post outpost? Many good suggestions already here. Garfield, Mutts, Brewster Rockit, Peanuts--none of them would be missed by many and small size wouldn't hurt them.

Posted by: derkswain | May 5, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

How about putting Red and Rover, Garfield, Dennis the Menace, Beetle Bailey, and Family Circus all on the kids page (or just get rid of them, either way works for me). And then bring back Pooch Cafe and Zippy. That would make the comics worth reading again.

Posted by: PeggyH1 | May 5, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

It's clear that even with all these comments from folks who actually read the comics that the best options for the Kids Post page are Peanuts and/or Garfield. But there is little doubt that the Powers That Be will ignore any sage advice such as this.

Posted by: Harleybret | May 5, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I notice that comics.com is showing different Frazz strips this week than the ones printed in Kids Post; was the running joke around the word "brassiere" too much for the young'uns? Further evidence that Frazz is the wrong strip to send there.

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 6, 2009 6:55 AM | Report abuse

Please, please, please bring Frazz back to the main pages Monday through Saturday!! As many have observed, this is an adult-appeal strip, not aimed at kids at all. It is the most literate of any strip now appearing anywhere. (The reruns of Peanuts would be a sensible choice for Kids Post, but I don't really care which non-Frazz strip moves.)

Posted by: wsheppard | May 6, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Holy crap, what the HELL (squeaky clean be damned) is the matter with the Post's editors? Seriously, I'm just befuddled at the decisions they've been making lately. Did someone slip crack into the office water cooler or something?

People keep talking about certain comics as "gateways" to get kids to read the paper - Garfield, Family Circus, Peanuts, etc. And they chose Agnes?!? And when their boner was pointed out, they picked Frazz?!?!? Seriously - W? T? F?

Posted by: drewdane | May 6, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Wow!!! You listened and now Agnes is back in her rightful place. Thank you! Thank you! I think a good fit for the Kids would be Peanuts, Garfield, or Red & Rover. I work with kids and find they can understand & enjoy these comics. You could still remove Frazz from the comics entirely. Not a favorite for me.

Posted by: Bzzzzzz475 | May 7, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Frazz is not in today's paper, and that is why you can't put it in the Kid's Post. Peanuts is first choice--they are re-runs. Garfield is second choice.

Dump Mark Trail and you won't have to make a choice, unless you bring back Zippy or For Better or Worse.

Posted by: Jane_Edwards | May 8, 2009 6:52 AM | Report abuse

I just tried to look up today's missing strip online and saw that it had been published previously. The Post skipped over the strips from May 5-6 because it refers to "brassieres" (which rhymes with Frazz's real name) and is inappropriate for the Kids Post.

Can Frazz go back on the regular pages now?

It is not appropriate for little ones, and fans don't want to miss it or hunt around for missing out-of-order strips.

Posted by: Jane_Edwards | May 8, 2009 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Frazz is a strip aimed at sentient adults and precocious children. Precocious children do not need a "Kids Post," and Frazz is WAY over the heads of the average "kid."

I don't care what stupid strip goes to Kids Post---Mother Goose and Grimm, Family Circus, Dennis the Menace, or any of the others aimed at three year olds---but put Frazz back on the main comics page where it belongs.

And BTW why isn't Frazz on your web comics page?

The way the Post has dealt with the comics pages over the past few years is, in microcosm, a perfect example of how the Post seems to want to alienate its long time readers in the eternal quest of trying to attract the sort of people who don't have any real interest in newspapers in the first place.

Posted by: andym108 | May 8, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

It is unacceptable to miss one day of Frazz, much less two.
Frazz is not about kids or schools. And most kids won't understand the humor. And, while depicted as children, they really are adult comments.
Agree with earlier posting that if the editors actually READ the comics.
Peanuts can move. Lilo should move, maybe to the WashTimes (seriously, how many monsters, blow-ups, etc can occur?)
I think this is all just a plot to keep us confused and not realizing that the POST printed edition is gradually disappearing.

Posted by: edobson22207 | May 8, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I AM SO INFURIATED AT THIS POINT I WILL PROBABLY STOP MY SUBSCRIPTION, WHICH WILL OF COURSE CONTINUE ON THE PATH OF DESTROYING NEWPAPER IN PRINT. WHERE THE &^%$#@@@ IS FRAZZ?!?!?! PUTTING IT IN KIDS POST IS WAAYYY WRONG!!!! AND TO ELIMINATE IT NOT ONLY ON FRIDAY, BUT TO NOT EVEN BE ABLE TO ACCESS IT ONLINE IS ONE STEP TOO FAR. IF CHANGE IS NOT MADE SOON, I'M DONE WITH THE POST. GARFIELD, OR ANY OTHER STUPID STIP THAT IS "GHOST WRITTEN" DESERVES THE KIDS POST PAGE OVER FRAZZ, ZITS, AND OTHER CONTEMPORARY STRIPS. STOP KILLING THE COMICS OF TODAY AND GET RID OF YESTERDAY'S HAS-BEENS!!!!

Posted by: 2bfeedm | May 8, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I have had it with less Post more $$$...so I am voting with my wallet and cutting back to Sunday only.

Posted by: Jim31 | May 9, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse