Posted at 12:15 PM ET, 05/28/2009

Act Now: Your Four-Minute Comics Workout!

By Michael Cavna

Attention, Cartoon Fans! Act now and take advantage of our one-time offer (well, our only time today). Here's a chance to enjoy today's funnies in under four minutes. No obligation -- enjoy while supplies last...

'CUL DE SAC' (UPS)Enlarge Image

CUL DE SAC: Here's my litmus test for when I particularly like a "Cul de Sac" strip: When I want the dialogue to spill beyond the final panel and to continue for countless balloons. That's because a premium "CDS" is not mere gag, but rather just an illustrated needle-drop moment into a much longer conversation that, I'm convinced, Richard Thompson could unspool for a dozen frames without it becoming any less entertaining or imaginative.

'DENNIS THE MENACE' (KFS)

DENNIS THE MENACE: No, Dennis, it makes you look desperate for a laugh.

By the way, it's only in this pose that I fully notice: Dennis's hands are drawn with uniform digits, like doggy paws or pachyderm feet.

'JUDGE PARKER' (NAS)Enlarge Image

JUDGE PARKER: Today's interactive example of Why Eduardo Barreto Is So Great:

If you've a mo', simply count the number of textures and tints in this little three-panel strip. From crosshatched silhouettes to shadows, the line movement alone makes "JP" worth the price of admission.

'PRICKLY CITY' (UPS)Enlarge Image

PRICKLY CITY: So now, so wow -- and yet so deja-vu retro.

Yes-yes, as we've noted on this blog, Cheney is more visible than ever these days. And yet the shooting-in-the-face gag made me feel as if I'd just time-traveled to 2006 -- or was reading a reprint. If it's just me -- entirely possible -- then please, tell me: "It's just you!"

'MUTTS' (KFS)Enlarge Image

MUTTS: An ideal marriage of economic image and wordplay. If it's possible, I smiled aloud.

AND LASTLY...

'SALLY FORTH' (KFS)Enlarge Image

SALLY FORTH: Ted Forth's Greatest Storyline Ever continues. Seems the aria isn't over until the fat-tied fumbler sings.

By Michael Cavna  | May 28, 2009; 12:15 PM ET
Categories:  The Morning Line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Interview: Animator/Filmmaker MIKE JUDGE (Pt. 2)
Next: The Interview: 'UP' Animator Bob Peterson of Pixar

Comments

It's not just you, Prickly City is / has been lame.

I'd be more concerned about laughing at Mutts, or even smiling. While it doesn't engender any dislike, it's Just. Not. Funny. Ever.

Posted by: JkR- | May 28, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Has "Cul de Sac" been coordinating with "Non Sequitur"? Today's CdS Martian Invasion joke ties in with the past few days of Martian Invasion humor at NS.

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 28, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or are the conversations in JP short and cut off, or is the strip itself short and cut off?

Posted by: jimbo1949 | May 28, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

JP can be "short and cut off" as long as Eduardo Barreto is drawing it.

MC is correct. Barreto = GREAT

Posted by: catman2530 | May 28, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Cul de Sac has the potential for a loooong run, can you imagine Petey as a teenager? I haven't read Judge Parker for a long time, is cute little Sophie the homely teen? And the only Mutts that is endearing is the "Shelter Stories", makes me want to go out and get a dog, and I don't like dogs.

Posted by: 2old2readcomics | May 29, 2009 2:51 AM | Report abuse

Mark Trail. Why would anyone, knowing that there is poison in the area, take his dog with him? Is the dog going to follow the trucks scent so that Mark can confront the bad guys? Is the dog going to drink the water and get sick or even die? Stay tuned.

Posted by: oldgal49er | May 29, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Mutts is always wonderful. and I never miss Prickly City...Sorry JkR.

Posted by: ZeldaJane | May 29, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Cul De Sac is genius.

Mutts and Prickly City think they are ... but they ain't.

Posted by: greasypores | May 29, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse