Posted at 7:30 AM ET, 05/13/2009

Morning Quickie: Good Cat, Bad Spidey

By Michael Cavna

RIFFING, AND RIFFLING, THROUGH THE MORNING TOONS...

'GET FUZZY' (UFS)Enlarge Image

GET FUZZY: Some of Bucky Katt's qualities are beginning to alarm me. Specifically, the ones that he and I apparently share. A quick spot-check:

Left-handed? Check.
Uncontrollable punning? Check.
Urge to mash up TV premises for fun and profit? Double-check.

Suddenly, I feel a kinship to BK that I am not entirely comfortable with. (Note to self: Make appointment to see doctor. Perhaps even a vet.)

'JUDGE PARKER' (NAS)Enlarge Image

JUDGE PARKER: It must be said. For someone who thinks she's all-that-girlfriend, Marcie has some seriously bad '80s hair. If we could see below the lowever panel-level, we would surely find her wearing chunky leg-warmers. And by week's end, we expect to see some pink headbands straight outta Olivia Newton-John's "Let's Get Physical" video.

'CUL DE SAC' (UPS)Enlarge Image

CUL DE SAC: Thank you, O Richard Thompson. I had not really dwelled on those ball-poppin' preschool push-toys since, oh, preschool. You, sir, evoke it with a specificity that summons childhood but precisely. (Pop, pop, pop!)

'BEETLE BAILEY' (KFS)Enlarge Image

BEETLE BAILEY: There are SO many questions I'd like to pose to Miss Buxley, if not the entire Walker clan. To wit: WhatEVER does Miss B. see in Beetle that she's willing to foot his bill? What, precisely, don't we know about "everybody's favorite" slacker private that makes him such a catch? The mind reels, the imagination boggles -- and we hope someday, Beetle's secret attributes will be known.

'RHYMES WITH ORANGE' (KFS)Enlarge Image

RHYMES WITH ORANGE: Is every OTHER syndicated cartoonist a Boston Red Sox fan, or does it just seem that way??? Just sayin'.

'SPIDER-MAN' (KFS)Enlarge Image

THE (UN-)AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: Saving my real rant for last: Somehow, the physics of that door in the second and third panels are entirely wrong. From the shadow that the door casts (second panel) to the door's subsequent position (third panel), it feels "off." In other words: Today's strip needed a continuity team just as they have for Spidey's Hollywood flicks.

Those are my bouquets, bon mots and bickerings today. What are yours?

By Michael Cavna  | May 13, 2009; 7:30 AM ET
Categories:  The Morning Line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Animated Reactions: A Few of Our Favorite Shorts
Next: Reader Poll: Which Cartoon Grads Make the Grade?

Comments

Is Beetle Bailey supposed to be in the present? It would appear so, given it has that electronics gadget guy (can't recall his name). But Miss Buxley went on a date with Beetle, having dinner at a diner AND a movie and ONLY spent $18?!? Even if she went dutch, that was a cheap dinner, as movies in the evening now run $9 or $10! But if, as the strip was trying to imply, she paid for the whole date, how could they have anything but water at the diner?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | May 13, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

"Left-handed? Check.
Uncontrollable punning? Check.
Urge to mash up TV premises for fun and profit? Double-check."

Are you me?

Posted by: wiredog | May 13, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

And Miss Buxley seems completely oblivious to Beetle's role as the sub in his S&M relationship with Sarge. No wonder he is such a gentleman when on a date with a woman.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 13, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Hey, in that Spider-Man strip, what's the thing to the left of the door in the second panel?

To me the reason the door looks off in the second panel is because, even though the door looks sort of like it's at a 90 degree angle to the doorway, the shadow and the wall behind the door almost makes it look like the door is almost against the wall -- which puts the wall at a funny angle. Did that make sense?

Posted by: indolentcin1 | May 13, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Hilary Price is from Northampton, Massachusetts, so obviously she'd be a Sox fan.

Posted by: stewartflamingo | May 13, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I think the problem with SpiderMan's door is more about architecture than physics... In the second panel it opens out into the hall. But in the third, it appears that it is an inward opening door since there are no hinges on the outside of the door. Seriously - a continuity editor would be a god-send.

Posted by: MeganEFarrell | May 13, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

The Boston B leaves no doubts. In that scale, the Mets and the Yankees could get swapped and at this point, the Nats think their "W" stands for "Why us?!"

Posted by: capecodner424 | May 13, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Boston Red Sox fans love winners, no matter in what city they live. Go to a game where the Sox are the visitors and see how many of their fans show up!

Get well soon, RemDawg!

Posted by: MSchafer | May 13, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Red Sox and Cubs are trendy teams to root for ... whether or not the person actually likes baseball.

Posted by: greasypores | May 13, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I laughed at the last panel of BC today, where the bird and turtle are talking about Garfield minus Garfield. That is the first time I've laughed at BC this decade. There are a few comics that I read purely for historical measurement. Family Circus, Peanuts, and a few others, but you know what I'm talking about. I make a mental note if one elicits a small smile, a tooth-bearing grin, any sort of snort or chuckle, and then the very rare audible laugh. Peanuts hasn't done anything since the 80's. I think I smiled at a Family Circus a few few years ago. BC has been trying hard lately, and I think it may be getting a little better with the new authorship.

Posted by: psears2 | May 13, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Beetle paid as much as he could for his and Miss Buxley's date, but he was $18 short? Anyway, whatever happened to Beetle's long-time girlfriend, the brunette "Bunny"? Did he dump her, or vice versa?

Posted by: seismic-2 | May 13, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Doug et al. that nowadays $18 is in the "going Dutch" league. But Beetle gets military pay and Buxley would draw a Civil Service wage, so that should be no surprise.

Also, in "Judge Parker," the girl getting yelled at by Marcie might just as well introduce herself as "Hi, I'll be the corpse for this story arc."

Posted by: drazen1 | May 14, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

In Beetle Bailey, it seems reasonable that Ms Buxley could have spent $18, if the date took place in Camp Swampy and they went to the post theater and ate at a PX concession. Not very romantic, but they are young and it's comical.

Posted by: MD4811 | May 14, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse