Posted at 1:30 PM ET, 05/21/2009

Vote Now: Which Nancy Pelosi Cartoon Holds Water?

By The Reliable Source

Can House Speaker Nancy Pelosi weather the current Beltway scrutiny? We know not, perhaps because we're overly focused on a more immediate question:

Can Madam Speaker withstand the slings, arrows and Sharpies of a horde of cartoonists?

Dick Cheney's re-emergence has provided some fodder recently, but most editorial cartoonists have been hungry for fresh fare since, oh, at least the last time Michael Steele tried to drop some dope quasi-street rhymes on his illin' political foes, dawg. But now that a "new" face -- re: not from within the previous administration -- can literally be drawn into the Gitmo waterboarding controversy, it's open season.

For any cartoonist who thinks Pelosi is lying, the most obvious pun is a growing-nosed "Pelosi-o." I've seen several versions of this, but Arizona's STEVE BENSON executes it most artfully, methinks.

This week, four other Pelosi 'toons have especially caught my eye, too. Here are my Top Five. Feel free to vote for your favorite -- and to throw up a link to any others you like.

'NATE BEELER' (courtesy of cagle.com)

'STEVE BENSON' (courtesy of cagle.com)

'RANDY BISH' (courtesy of cagle.com)

'J.D. CROWE' (courtesy of cagle.com)

'MICHAEL RAMIREZ' (courtesy of cagle.com)

By The Reliable Source  | May 21, 2009; 1:30 PM ET
Categories:  The Political Cartoon
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Garfield Reverses Garfield' & Other Meta-Games
Next: Cartooning's Oscars: This Weekend, Lines Will Be Crossed!

Comments

I'm lucky enough to have one of the top guys as my local cartoonist, so I remembered my appreciation of this Nick Anderson 'toon that nicely intersects the Pelosi kerfuffle with the Miss California nekkid photo mini-scandal:

Posted by: Rcubed1 | May 22, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Beeler, FTW. Drawing and concept actually enhance each other.

The others come across as less clever, more mean. Anybody can be mean.

Posted by: JkR- | May 22, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I agree with JkR that the Beeler one is not only the most clever but well drawn and is not overly mean spirited, while still giving a satisfactory "dig".

Posted by: vldazzle | May 25, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Although you, Michael, chose Benson, I have lived here in AZ since 98 and find his cartoons largely slanted to the left. A cartoon can be funny even if it opposes your politics, but less so...My 2nd choice would be Ramirez!

Posted by: vldazzle | May 25, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse