Posted at 12:10 PM ET, 06/24/2009

'Riffs Gallery: Best of the 'Twitter Iran' Cartoons

By The Reliable Source

When it comes to the role of social networking amid Iran's violent post-election uproar, comic Bill Maher may have had the satiric line of the week: "Twitter didn't save Iran. Iran saved Twitter."

Political cartoonists, too, have been mining this convergence for pointed commentary. As an occupational hazard, cartoonists, of course, become expert at marrying seemingly divergent topics. So perhaps they were best poised to combine once-disparate elements -- dire politics in Iran and the once-deemed-frivolous Twitter -- for maximum effect.

Here are a half-dozen of this Riffster's favorite "Twittering in Iran" political cartoons from recent days. You're invited to vote for your favorite

STEVE BENSON (courtesy of cagle.com)

JOHN COLE (courtesy of cagle.com)

Enlarge Comic

JEFF DARCY (courtesy of cagle.com)

DAVID FITZSIMMONS (courtesy of cagle.com)

JACK OHMAN (courtesy of cagle.com)

DON WRIGHT (courtesy of cagle.com)

By The Reliable Source  | June 24, 2009; 12:10 PM ET
Categories:  The Political Cartoon
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Beware All Ye Who Love--Or Loathe--Barry Manilow
Next: When Does a Common Punchline Wear Out Its Welcome?

Comments

David Fitzsimons by a mile for me. That one is fantastic.

Posted by: Roto13 | June 24, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I hope Fitzsimmons is prophetic.

I liked Darcy when I thought the random items were being tossed at the balcony. Not so much when I looked close and saw they were supposed to be on the ground.

Posted by: filfeit | June 24, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Cole, hands down. I like a little humor with my politics. Helps to choke it down.

Sanford in Appalatina anyone?

The way the Repubs keep shooting themselves in the foot they soon won't have a leg to stand on.

Posted by: jimbo1949 | June 24, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

The Fitzsimmons panel is one of the most visually striking images I've seen on the editorial pages in a long time. Truly inspired!

Posted by: seismic-2 | June 24, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Next week - every cartoonist in the industry will have some variation on Governor Sanford's delivering a "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" address to the crowd.

Posted by: seismic-2 | June 24, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse