Posted at 9:10 AM ET, 06/21/2009

Sunday Funnies: We Pick Best of the Father Day's Bunch

By Michael Cavna

Today's Sunday funnies offer some swell non-holiday 'toons -- the art in "Zits" and the tartness in "Pearls Before Swine" are particular stand-outs -- but since it's Dad's day, Comic Riffs spotlights six father-themed strips:

6. THE SWEETEST: "BALDO" is fuzzy enough that plenty of kids will cut out those promise coupons. (BTW: The crayon effect is the final panel works rather fittingly.)

5. THE CREEPIEST: "BREWSTER ROCKIT" alarms us in all the right ways. Well-executed (as it were).

4. THE CHEAPEST: I confess -- the barrage of cheap-o puns in "FAMILY CIRCUS" wore me down. By the time I hit "Shia LeBluff" and "Kirstie Alley," I was rendered pun-drunk and helpless.

3. THE SLYEST: Rather a swell build-up of visuals in "LIO."

2. THE WRYEST: I could see right where "FOXTROT" was headed, yet the payoff still rung with truthful satisfaction.

THE CHEEKIEST: This might well be the single best "SALLY FORTH" of the year. And that includes the Other Woman / "Play Me an Aria" strips. Big-time huzzahs.

Happy Father's Day, Dad.

What strips did you like (or dislike) today? You're invited to share your picks.

By Michael Cavna  | June 21, 2009; 9:10 AM ET
Categories:  The Morning Line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Interview: 'Twitter Bird' Artist Simon Oxley
Next: Laura Linney? O, Who Will Answer Our Casting Call?

Comments

I found Candorville today to be a little oblique...I'm assuming the underlying message is anti-racist but (unlike most of the strips, which I usually love) it left me doing the classic Stephen Colbert "And your point is?" take.

Posted by: commish24 | June 21, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I liked today's Blondie. BTW, the Post reduced the size of the comics in print to save paper. Why did they reduce them in size on the web too? Here's a larger version of today's Blondie. Happy Father's Day all!

Posted by: hdradio | June 21, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Did Stephen Pastis (Pearls) and Darby Conley (Get Fuzzy) have a contest for most egregious use of puns? This week's Get Fuzzy seems like a definite riff on last week's Pearls Before Swine. And it made me laugh anyway.

Posted by: auntiemare | June 21, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Stone Soup was the sweetest strip of them all. Wally has taken on the role of father, step father, and uncle with love, kindness, and joy. Wait a minute, these aren't real people, I forgot.

Posted by: 2old2readcomics | June 22, 2009 2:51 AM | Report abuse