Sunday Funnies: We Pick Best of the Father Day's Bunch
Today's Sunday funnies offer some swell non-holiday 'toons -- the art in "Zits" and the tartness in "Pearls Before Swine" are particular stand-outs -- but since it's Dad's day, Comic Riffs spotlights six father-themed strips:
6. THE SWEETEST: "BALDO" is fuzzy enough that plenty of kids will cut out those promise coupons. (BTW: The crayon effect is the final panel works rather fittingly.)
5. THE CREEPIEST: "BREWSTER ROCKIT" alarms us in all the right ways. Well-executed (as it were).
4. THE CHEAPEST: I confess -- the barrage of cheap-o puns in "FAMILY CIRCUS" wore me down. By the time I hit "Shia LeBluff" and "Kirstie Alley," I was rendered pun-drunk and helpless.
3. THE SLYEST: Rather a swell build-up of visuals in "LIO."
2. THE WRYEST: I could see right where "FOXTROT" was headed, yet the payoff still rung with truthful satisfaction.
THE CHEEKIEST: This might well be the single best "SALLY FORTH" of the year. And that includes the Other Woman / "Play Me an Aria" strips. Big-time huzzahs.
Happy Father's Day, Dad.
What strips did you like (or dislike) today? You're invited to share your picks.
| June 21, 2009; 9:10 AM ET
Categories: The Morning Line
Save & Share: Previous: The Interview: 'Twitter Bird' Artist Simon Oxley
Next: Laura Linney? O, Who Will Answer Our Casting Call?
Posted by: commish24 | June 21, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: hdradio | June 21, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: auntiemare | June 21, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: 2old2readcomics | June 22, 2009 2:51 AM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.