Posted at 9:30 AM ET, 06/16/2009

Predict That Plot: The Mark Trail Edition

By Michael Cavna

'MARK TRAIL' (NAS)Enlarge Image

Time once again to play "You Guessed It," in which certain strips are so ripe for predicting the plotline that we pause to, well, predict the plotline.

We start with today's "MARK TRAIL," in which the strip zooms in for a Super Extreme Close-Up in the second panel. The point, it seems, is to force us to peer deep into the peepers of Mark "Man on a Mission" Trail, to fully take in his Pupils of Moral Superiority. Yes, folks, this is what, in cinematic terms, you would call The Gregory Peck Shot. (And for you few who've not seen a Peck film, order up that Netflix. Pronto.)

All that is prelude to pose the question: Just how will Man of Extreme Certitude resolve the Great Chemical Caper of Aught-Nine? Will Mark lead a days-long tour of Bad-Guy Enlightenment? Will there be a flare-up of fisticuffs? And will this company prez, after all is resolved, spend the rest of her life asking herself: What Would Mark Do?

ELSEWHERE...

'FRANK AND ERNEST' (NEA)Enlarge Image

PUNNING, IN EARNEST: Within seconds, I'm all set to be in high dudgeon over this painfully lame-o punning. Soon, I'm convinced this "sole mate" wordplay must must have originated long, long ago, and there must be a Web Site O' Ten-Thousand Painful Puns that "F&E" is cribbing from. So I do a search and then suddenly -- what's this? -- The Washington Post used the "sole mate" pun in a headline back in 1995, with a reference to Cinderella? That's it. I cannot rightly cast the first glass slipper.

GET FUZZY' (UPS)Enlarge Image

PANEL SHOW: My pick for funniest single panel cartoon of the day is "Get Fuzzy." Never mind the fact that "GF" is actually a two-panel strip. Today's first panel is so humorous all itself, it conquers all comers.

'CUL DE SAC' (UPS)Enlarge Image

CUL DE SAC: Fave term of the day: Internal Cuteness Alarm. Because not so terribly far from "Cul de Sac" on the page, my Internal Cuteness Alarm is tripped often.

By Michael Cavna  | June 16, 2009; 9:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Now That Captain America's Reborn: Who'll Play Him in the Movie?
Next: You Be the Editor: What Should Be the Fate of 'Family Circus'?

Comments

Show the Williams Chemical Company the results of their toxic dumping, Mark. Let the boss-lady know that nature must have its revenge upon those who perpetrated this evil. Release the giant squirrels!!!

Posted by: seismic-2 | June 16, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Does the boss-lady fall for macho Mark? Of course!

Posted by: steveh46 | June 16, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

It will turn out to be the waste haulers the company has hired. It will be two guys, at least one of whom Trail will slug. The woman will fall for Trail.

Posted by: patrick24 | June 16, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Mark has done this poltline before...the plots are repititious...Mark can go to Kid's Page, or just be gone. I have Mark in one of my "favorites", but I just deletd it today.

Posted by: ZeldaJane | June 16, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Since Mark doesn't hit ladies, we still haven't seen who he is going to punch out yet.

And I'm a little grossed out imagining what Beni's ICA does when it trips.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 16, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm figuring the "Boss Lady" is at least 85 considering she has a hairdo right out of the '30s, so I guess Mark the Man will go easy on her, being a senior citizen and all.

Posted by: 2old2readcomics | June 17, 2009 2:24 AM | Report abuse