Posted at 7:30 AM ET, 06/29/2009

The Morning Quickie: Of Junior Gags and Sophomoric Humor

By The Reliable Source

THE MORNING LINE:
The quickie a.m. roundup of today's 'toons...

'BIG NATE' (UFS)Enlarge Image

SLY LANGUAGE AWARD: Back in the day, I was not able to get the world "tool" in the newspaper. Well, at least not like this. So in a respectfully envious way, I applaud Lincoln Peirce's nimbleness in getting "tool" past the censors -- if not a few readers.

'FRANK AND ERNEST' (NEA)Enlarge Image

NO HARD KNOCKS HERE: All too often, I knock "Frank and Ernest" for its lame puns, its obvious gags, its groan-inducing puns, its vaudeville-era one-liners and, well, its painful puns. So on a day like today, I stop to tip my cap to "F&E." It's simple. It's effective. And it rings perhaps truer than I quite comfortable with.

'JUDGE PARKER' (NAS)Enlarge Image

BE OF GOOD CHEER: For eons now, the interstitial storyline of the Evil Cheerleader Moms From Dante's Ninth has dragged on -- though not unentertaingly -- seemingly longer than one's actual high-school career. But today -- a-ha! -- comes the dawn of the Big Feel-Good Moment. Congrats, Sophie -- even if that ten-gallon-hatted singer looks less like Rocky and more like '90s-era Bono atop chunky heels.

'NON SEQUITUR' (UPS)Enlarge Image

SHADOWLANDS: As a tyke, I always liked and looked forward to Sergio Aragones's "The Shadow Knows" cartoons in MAD magazine. So whenever someone as knowledgeable and pen-deft as Wiley Miller invokes a shadow to silently represent one's true character, I soak up the nod to Serge -- and also applaud Wiley's own swell gag.

By The Reliable Source  | June 29, 2009; 7:30 AM ET
Categories:  The Morning Line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Best of the Sunday Funnies: The Eeriest Cartoon You'll Read Today
Next: Bernie Madoff: Can Cartoons Do Him Justice?

Comments

Judge Parker: Are we really supposed to be rooting for the slumming rich dilettante over the girls who actually practice and devote their time to their craft?

Posted by: tomtildrum | June 29, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

For a great shadow play cartoon, find Heart of the City from this past Sunday. I'm not sure where to send you to look. It was in my local Sunday paper.

Posted by: allenofwoodhaven | June 29, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

>> allenofwoodhaven:

indeed and agreed -- mark tatulli obviously had fun drawing one dynamic shadow.

here's the link, for anyone who hasn't seen:

--M.C.

Posted by: cavnam | June 29, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Wiley looks a lot better in strip form. For some reason my new local paper (Denver Post, which, in case you didn't know, runs a fantastic number of comics) puts it in a tiny little panel.

Posted by: oceanchild | June 30, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse