Morning Quickie: When Our 'Toons Enter 'The Twilight Zone'
The early a.m. roundup of cartoons, from the eye-catching to the head-scratching...
Okay. Either I or the comics are just a little off today, based on these Five Telltale Signs. I'll let you be the judge as to who's askew. The symptoms:
1. "BEETLE BAILEY" neither insults my intelligence nor stoops to gag today. It's not the Greatest Joke Ever Told, true, but simply a relevant observation that does not rely on violent or sexual tropes. In other words: WHAT the--??...
2. DENNIS THE MENACE is startingly self-aware today about his own effect on frenemies and neighbors. Which is utterly disarming. Two strips in, and things are already getting a bit surreal as I turn to...
3. "GARFIELD" -- that gateway kiddie strip -- just made me laugh. Not aloud, mind you, but still, it produced a sort of internal snicker. Meaning: We're seriously entering "Twilight Zone" territory here...
4. "TANK McNAMARA" opens with such a long-winded, blatantly snoozeworthy word-balloon that -- for once -- the strip did not seduce me into reading till the bitter end, hoping against hope. Time saved, but I'm still further spooked because...
5. Perhaps most alarming of all, "FRANK AND ERNEST" -- straight-up observant and relevant -- does not pun today, nor does it prompt an audible groan.
No, the only sound these all elicit is the "whoosh" of me running from the funnies, sprinting outside to make sure the sky is still blue (or blue-gray), the birds are still a-chirping and the adorable neighbor dog hasn't suddenly morphed into Marmaduke.
| June 10, 2009; 7:00 AM ET
Categories: The Morning Line
Save & Share: Previous: Obama in the Muslim World: Who Spins It Best?
Next: How Newsweek's Guest Editor Let Us Down (That Means YOU, Mr. Colbert)
Posted by: soccermutha | June 10, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: drazen1 | June 10, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: MSchafer | June 10, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: oldgal49er | June 10, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: jimbo1949 | June 10, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: seismic-2 | June 10, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.