Posted at 9:05 AM ET, 07/ 5/2009

Best of the Sunday Funnies: We Pick 'Em

By Michael Cavna

The Sunday roundup, from salty language to peppery visuals...

Many of the reliables delivered hilariously today, but today it boils down to these three:

FAVE DIALOGUE: I'll confess, ever so often, I'll read "Get Fuzzy" for a coupla days with nary a chuckle. But then, inevitably, I soon get to one like today's and -- well -- I'm left sucking air, it's so good. Huzzahs, Satchel. And Bucky: Folkin' brilliant.

FAVE VISUAL: Remember how I said "Lio's" recent SpongeBob gag was probably his best visual of the year. Well, make that the best daily visual of the year. Because as someone who's stared long and hard and empty-headed at that Bristol board, this one registers as sublime. Don't leave us, Lio...

FAVE SAUCINESS: Pitching woo? Seductions? An enormous egg that is positively pregnant with symbolism? I'm in no mood for courtesies: Let's just say this is one uber-steamy "Prince Valiant." I'm convinced: There are entire worlds of double-entendre that lie deep within the bosom of this strip -- methinks it's all a matter of how much you wanna work for it.

If you've got strips you love -- or loathe -- today, you're invited to share them links.

By Michael Cavna  | July 5, 2009; 9:05 AM ET
Categories:  The Morning Line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Best Fourth of July Cartoons: Let's Salute the Stars
Next: The Naked Truth: Boy, We Can See What's Left Behind

Comments

Hey, Frazz is great and he slipped in a naked gnome to boot,

Posted by: Montanan | July 5, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Loved today's "Get Fuzzy", but also thought "B.C." was pretty clever.

Posted by: ddelucco | July 5, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Pearls before Swine is hands down the funniest comic I think I've ever read! The last comment about the tape measure had us all rolling off the couch. Steven Pastis is one funny dude! And this one didn't even make your list, did you not turn the page or what?

Posted by: 2old2readcomics | July 5, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

>> 2old2readcomics:

indeed -- the "tape measure" kicker was especially hilarious. rounding out the 'Riffs Top Five today would be "Pearls Before Swine" and "Baby Blues."

-- M.C.

Posted by: cavnam | July 5, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

The "tape measure" punchline is a winner, but it's Pig's expression as he says it that really sells the gag. Henry Hippo definitely techno-ed up, big time!

Posted by: seismic-2 | July 5, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse