Posted at 11:45 AM ET, 07/21/2009

Save Frazz: What Strip Would YOU Send to KidsPost?

By Michael Cavna

'FRAZZ' (UFS)Enlarge Image

Greetings from California, comics fans. This Riffster might be en route to this week's San Diego Comic-Con (which I'll blog...and Twitter...and Twitpic...and whatever other random means is at hand to convey a sense of this year's 'Con scene), but my mind -- rather determinedly -- is still on poor, short-weeked Frazz.

'Riffs recently asked readers about "Frazz's" four-day-a-week place on the KidsPost page, and most respondents said they want Jef Mallett's strip returned to the main funnypages, where its story continuity would remain unbroken. (In addition, KidsPost sometimes runs "Frazz" strips from a previous day or week.)

So the Official 'Riffs Reader Question of the Day is: If "Frazz" were sent back to the main pages, what comic would you reassign to KidsPost? (And please note: This exercise is all in good clean, nonbinding fun. Although the editors do read this, so you never know if or when your suggestion might spark a "programming" epiphany. Just sayin'.)

Your opinions and insights, rants and riffs are invited.

By Michael Cavna  | July 21, 2009; 11:45 AM ET
Categories:  The Morning Line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Strip of the Week: Supersize Your Comics Complaint
Next: Does 'Beetle' Mania Live On? Time to Defend That 'Toon

Comments

There are so many more obvious choices for the move to KidsPost. Garfield, "Classic" Peanuts, Red and Rover, Curtis, and Baldo all come to mind.

Why not just move Frazz back to the main page and dump "On The Fastrack"? That strip just seems to fly totally under the radar. Does anyone have any passion at all for or against that strip? Would anyone even notice if one day it quietly disappeared?

Posted by: stickler | July 21, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Please move Judge Parker to Kids Post.

Posted by: ArlingtonGay | July 21, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"Classic" Peanuts is one choice, but I'd try doubling the space by moving the one-panel strips Family Circus and Dennis the Menace. Wouldn't shifting those two free up enough space at the grown-up table, er, page to not only bring back Frazz but add a new comic?

Posted by: greggwiggins | July 21, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Fast Track is tied into Safe Havens, and we have watched the kids in this strip grow from toddlers, so I read and tolerate it. However its time to introduce a new generation to Peanuts, those of us over 50 have read them all, bought the books and seen all the TV shows and are now heartily sick and tired of them. I have to go to the Seattle Times to read Frazz every day. Bring him back to those of us appreciate the humor.

Posted by: 2old2readcomics | July 21, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

The regular comics pages are full on strips that can (and SHOULD) be dumped, but there is no reason to punish kids by moving them to KidsPost. Garfield and Judge Parker are (alas) still too popular to junk, but Beetle Bailey and Dennis the Menace could easily be terminated. Strips that could be MOVED include Classic Peanuts and the ubiquitously trite "Family Circus".

That makes FOUR excellent candidates for removal, allowing more than enough space for Frazz and three other fresh (or at least still living) cartoonists.

Posted by: kilby | July 21, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey give them a little adventure as a change from humorous philosophy.

The Phantom!

Posted by: lufrank1 | July 21, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I'd vote for moving the Dennis the Menace/Family Circus combo., and/or Classic Peanuts and/or Garfield.

Posted by: nvanative | July 21, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

"Although the editors do read this"

They do??? I thought it was pretty clear that WaPo editors don't even read the Post's comics, much less blogs **about** the Post's comics. If they actually did read the comics, then surely they would have known right off that neither "Agnes" nor "Frazz" is aimed at the target audience of the Kids' Post.

Posted by: seismic-2 | July 21, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Garfield, Peanuts, Beetle Bailey, Dennis the Menace, Family Circle are all pablum that won't be missed on a comics page with high aspirations.

Frazz is simply not a little kids strip. It's a mystifying decision.

Posted by: JkR- | July 21, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Please send Lio to Kids Post. I really don't understand it anyway, so I am not sure what impact it would make. But I like Frazz - I think it is funny, NOT so with Lio.

Posted by: ladydeeIII | July 21, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Just because a comic has children as characters does not mean it is a "kids" comic. I thought editors at "The Post" were smart enough to figure this out on their own, but ever since "Frazz" got shipped to "Kids' Post" page I've wondered. I like and follow "Fasttrack" - to comment on another thread. "Peanuts" is the obvious choice for "Kids' Post" page IMHO. "Brewster McRocket" can only be viewed as having a target readership of those under age 12.

Posted by: lairdkw | July 21, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Brewster Rockit is hysterical. Don't move it. "Lio" is also impressively drawn and clever in its lack of dialogue. It stays put.

Why don't you guys filch the one good comic in the Washington Times, as you did with "Baby Blues" and "Frazz," and grab "Grand Avenue" for KidsPost? It's sweet without being cloying, but it's not too sophisticated for younger kids.

Posted by: Discman | July 21, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I vote for Peanuts. The young people (under 45) are not reading the paper anyway so move the Peanuts that we have all read to the kids page and give us Frazz seven days a week. DO NOT TOUCH JUDGE PARKER. We fought to hard to get it back

Posted by: wmika | July 21, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Move Dennis and Family Circus together -- that should free up enough space.

Posted by: eandab2003 | July 21, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I vote that you move either Peanuts or Garfield. Somebody make it happen!

Posted by: bucky_katt | July 21, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

If Jeff Mallet would just stick with being funny (which is is quite capable of) I'd vote to move him back. But he is too often smug and condescending and somehow believes he must at times convey some deep message or comment on the ills of society in general. Plus I'm also tired of constantly being reminded in his strip about how much he loves to work out and how how much he loves triathlons. Leave him in KidsPost purgatory.

Posted by: bk65831 | July 22, 2009 6:37 AM | Report abuse

"Brewster Rockit is hysterical" says Discman. I disagree. I think he's usually fairly calm. Some of the other characters in the strip get hysterical from time to time though.

Moving on....

Is Brad ("Luann") the luckiest guy in the comics? Followed closely by Amos ("9 Chickweed Lane")?

Posted by: filfeit | July 22, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Check out what DC comics is doing with USA Today. It would make more sense for you guys to partner with DC to incorporate one of these strips into your paper. Believe it or not I could actually get people to sign up for the paper if you guys did something like this.

Posted by: moshedanger1 | July 22, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Move Classic Peanuts. Like a previous poster said, we've all seen it, more than a couple of times. Introduce kids to it.

Posted by: pbwg | July 22, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone besides me think that the past two days of "Pearls Before Swine" have been brilliantly hysterically funny?

Posted by: ddelucco | July 22, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Frazz to the main pages. Garfild to the kids page - continunity does not matter there.

Posted by: ZeldaJane | July 22, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I am just not that into Pearls Before Swine, especially on Sundays when he goes on and on. I agree that Dennis the Menace and Family Circle can go to Kid's Post and Frazz should come back. I have two kids I try to get to read the paper, and I think it's good to have some "gateway" comics on the comics page. They generally like Baby Blues the best because it's like our family (in some ways).

Posted by: mksfromvienna | July 22, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Garfield, atleast Classic Peanuts - but BRING BACK FRAZZ!

Posted by: bnicklas109 | July 23, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse