Posted at 9:30 AM ET, 07/11/2009

This Just in: The Actor Who'll Play Hollywood's Green Lantern Is...

By Michael Cavna

'GET FUZZY' (UPS)Enlarge Image

"Frank & Ernest" pummels us with the groaners. "Rhymes With Orange" and "Pickles" often like to slice their wordplay wry. And "Mother Goose" can construct days of gags built on a single punning premise.

Perhaps no one, though, offers such a wide array of wordplay -- an unraveling coil of malapropisms and "accidental" word coinage -- than "Get Fuzzy." This is one strip in which the Katt never has your tongue -- doesn't need it. Bucky's got too much of a George Carlin-esque tongue all on his own.

That said, the Official 'Riffs Question of the Day is: Who's your favorite verbal contortionist on the funnypages? Which comic strip razzles you and dazzles you with unbridled literary trickery. In other words: Who's the ultimate No-Holds Bard?

You're invited to share your favorites.

ELSEWHERE...

Some weeks back, 'Riffs mulled whether Ryan Reynolds would make for a swell big-screen Captain America. Well, it has just been announced that Reynolds has been cast as the Green Lantern for the Warner Bros. film.

Whaddya think of Reynolds for the role, for which he reportedly beat out Justin Timberlake? And Reynolds -- who also did "Blade: Trinity" and wanted to play The Flash -- earlier was announced to have landed the X-Men spinoff "Deadpool," so he'll be riding two superhero franchises. Which speaks to the glories, apparently, of going conjugal with Scarlett Johansson.

Reynolds, 32, is reportedly the first actor to star as both DC and Marvel film superheroes.

By Michael Cavna  | July 11, 2009; 9:30 AM ET
Categories:  Superheroes, The Morning Line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Interview: Exiled Iranian Cartoonist Nik Kowsar
Next: Best of the Sunday Funnies: We Pick 'Em

Comments

Props to Conley for including the accent marks above the "o" in "Schrodinger" (which I can't figure out how to do here)

And I'm a little confused; admittedly, I don't follow superhero comics but Ryan Reynolds? Isn't the current Green Lantern a black guy?

Posted by: greggwiggins | July 11, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

And someone else gets into the subtle 'Stephan Pastis of Pearls Before Swine reference game': check the last panel of today's (July 11) Frazz. After an unseen driver has yelled at Frazz on his bike one of the kids observes, "PAS-TIS. That's a weird vanity plate."

Posted by: greggwiggins | July 11, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I think Ryan Reynolds is Hot so I vote Yeah!

Actually I think he's playing it safe by doubling down - not all superhero movies become smash succeses like Spiderman and Batman. Yes Marvel Comics seems to be on a hot streak but I have to be sceptical about Deadpool making it. I'm not sure that character will really transfer over. A lot of Deadpool's appeal is his snarkiness and the movie will loose a lot of that - witness the decrease of Spiderman quips from comic book to screen. What makes a good supporting character does not always make a good lead role.

On the other hand as much as I loved the Green Lantern as a kid - plus I still think that ring looks way cool - Hal Jordan as a character is pretty boring. Witness how many versions of GL have been launched to make the character more interesting. Plus I think GL has had more roster changes than any other superhero out there - There's Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner that come most quickly to mind but there might be more. That does not bode well for that franchise either.

Posted by: dre7861 | July 11, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Pastis called Frazz an arrogant, self-righteous road parasite today as a reply to the 6/2/09 Pearls, in which Jeff said to Rat:
I am fit
I am great
share the road.

Then he told Rat:
you are fat
you are lazy
share the road.

Basically just a shout out in the funny pages.

Now, Kornheiser's bike rant was cahlassic!

Posted by: jimbo1949 | July 11, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Re: Pastis/Mallett, this is from Pastis' Facebook page:

"For those of you asking about the comic strip Frazz today, the creator Jef Mallett and I are good friends. Jef is a cyclist. When he saw me making fun of a cyclist named Jeff a few weeks back, he called and asked if it was him. I said yes, but that I had deleted one "f" to throw him off the trail. I invited him to make fun of a rude lawyer named Pastis."

Posted by: bucky_katt | July 12, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse