Posted at 5:40 PM ET, 09/25/2009

'Cul de Sac' Migrates & Cavna Hits the 'Town'

By Michael Cavna

A meta-post heads-up, since I'd be remiss not to mention it...

Comic Riffs has occasionally posted its personal cartoons both fresh and archived on this site, but beginning this weekend, my art will also appear biweekly in the newly designed Washington Post Magazine.

The Post magazine has been reimagined by some truly creative minds, including Editor Debra Leithauser and Art Director Janet Michaud. You'll notice changes great and small throughout the publication.

One new feature will be "Our Town," a form of reporting-through-illustration that each week will spotlight a distinctive slice of life in the Washington metropolitan area. The feature will be reported and drawn, in turns, by yours truly and the gifted Mark Giaimo. The "new-look" magazine will hit doorsteps and newsracks this weekend, but you can preview "Our Town" online right here.

And of particular interest to humor fans will be the placement of two longstanding features: Gene Weingarten's column, "Below the Beltway," will continue to be a mainstay of the magazine; while Richard Thompson's Sunday "Cul de Sac" will now appear in the Style & Arts section.

By Michael Cavna  | September 25, 2009; 5:40 PM ET
Categories:  General
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: From Spiders to 'Surrogates': Our Five Fave Cartoons This Minute
Next: Tonight's 'Cleveland Show' Debut Marks McFarlane's Domination

Comments

Will Cul de Sac be in color in the Style & Arts section?

Posted by: nottenst | September 26, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

What about "Richard's Poor Almanac"? Will that ever have new installments?

Posted by: Kas300 | September 26, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Will Cul de Sac daily strips ever run online?

And yeah, what's with the circa-October Richard's Poor Almanac on the Post's comics page? Update it or get rid of it!

Posted by: drewdane | September 26, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I've always wondered why the daily "Cul de Sac" strips don't run online on the Post. As for the "Richard's Poor Almanac" I had thought that perhaps Thomspn's recently diagnosed Parkinson's disease has had an effect on his output. But his blogging is quite active, so maybe it's another issue unrelated to Thompson.

Posted by: Ilikemyprivacy | September 26, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I've always wondered why the "Cul de Sac" and "Dilbert" Sunday strips don't run in the comics pages.
Are they too hip or something?

Posted by: HaymarketObserver | September 26, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Hi, this is Richard Thompson. Mike Cavna asked if I'd like to comment here.

Nottenst- I'm not sure. Ask me again tomorrow.

Kas300- I think so. Ask me again next week.

Drewdane- I'm not sure. And, yeah, really!

Likemyprivacy- I don't know. And yes, the P slowed me down some, so I took a break. Blogging is dirt simple, so I kept that up, but used smaller words.

Haymarketobserver- Yes, we are!

Posted by: rhompson | September 26, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

*NOTE:*
I have alerted editors who oversee Style, as well as Richard himself, as to your questions. Answers as they become available.

>> DREWDANE: Many strips involve separately negotiated deals -- one with the print comics, one with newspaper Web sites. I've been told "Cul de Sac" is among those strips. All I can say is, personally, I hope a deal can be struck someday soon that allows it to appear online, too.

>> HAYMARKETOBSERVER:
"Cul de Sac" was born in the pages of The Post magazine, so it long made sense to run there. "Dilbert" had been a good fit for the Financial pages. Those decisions were said to be about them being valued elsewhere as reader "draws."

--M.C.

Posted by: comicriffscavna | September 26, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

>> RHOMPSON:

And thank you, Richard, for responding in this forum. As always, you're a class act.

Cheers,
--M.C.

Posted by: comicriffscavna | September 26, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

And looking at today's Style & Arts - Cul de Sac is black & white, but larger than it was in the magazine.

Posted by: nottenst | September 27, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

The daily version of Cul de Sac is online at
and the Sunday version is in color there. It is strange, though, that the daily version isn't among the online comics at the Post, since the Otterloop saga is really the Post's "own" local Washington-area strip. Of course, the Post makes a lot of strange decisions regarding the comics, as we all well know.

Posted by: seismic-2 | September 27, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

As usual, the Post finds the worst way to do something. Dilbert, for which color is merely an excresence, remains in the Magazine; Cul de Sac, for which color is essential, moves to Style in black and white. And your own drawing in the Magazine is (for all practical purposes) monochrome.

I don't know why I bother subscribing anymore.

Posted by: Theophylact | September 27, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Richard, for the answers! I must tell you that even after all these years I still want an "I'm With This Individual" t-shirt in the worst way...

Posted by: Kas300 | September 27, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

>> Theophylact:

Not running "Cul de Sac" in Sunday color -- when it's a viable option -- is a pity, a shame and an aesthetic sin.

--M.C.

Posted by: comicriffscavna | September 27, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Many thanks for responding, guys! It's definitely appreciated.

Now if only the Post's comics editor would come out from her bunker...

Posted by: drewdane | September 28, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I quite agree Cul de Sac should be in color, if possible, altho it's worth noting that Richard's not watercoloring the strip anymore so when the Sunday leaves his desk, it's in B&W.

However, I'm writing to say that I like Cavna's cartoon reportage. I'm a big fan of this type of thing. Unfortunately it was run a little small...

Posted by: Mrhode | September 28, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse