Hot Links: Our Fave Five Cartoons This Minute...
THE MORNING LINE:
From bicuspid love to real political teeth, a hot-link roundup of our fave five toons right now...
The rapper and the scrapper! The goader and the Taylor Swift-boater! The twin antagonizers turned apologizers! Yes, Kanye West and Joe Wilson -- two names perhaps never before uttered in the same sentence -- are apparently this week's satirical gift that keeps on giving.
The VMAs have also spawned Beyonce humor, no doubt by a salivating cartoonist or three. And elsewhere, perhaps nothing today is as sweet/funny as when the Cupid of Bicuspids attacks, in "Pearls Before Swine."
Here they are: Our latest Fave Five Toons from 'round the Web, plus a bonus from last week:
5. To "XKCD," love is less "Tyrannosaurus Sex" and more "Brontosaurus Vexed."
4. From "Gold Digger" to diggin' the PR hole even deeper, here's NATE BEELER's take on Outrageous Social Outbursts in recent days (via the Washington Examiner).
3. Beyonce meets a Bard Day's Night in this wonderfully warped "NEW ADVENTURES OF QUEEN VICTORIA." Someone please cue the mashup: "Single Ladies (The Play's The Thing On It").
2. Never yell "liar" in a crowded congressional building. Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's RANDY BISH plays 'em where they lie:
Annnd our top pick:
1. As one who has three dentists in the extended family -- watching "Marathon Man" with the relatives round the holidays is a real joy, lemme-tell-ya-- I've a soft spot (perhaps it's intellectual decay) for dental humor. Don't worry, you can click. "Is it safe?" Yes, it's safe. Here's today's "PEARLS BEFORE SWINE."
BONUS TOON: Catching up to this from last week, I quite like Bill "Fox Trot" Amend's guest stint drawing "PENNY ARCADE."
If you've got a hot link to point the rest of us to today, then by all means: Lead the way.
GRACE NOTE: Veteran comic actor Henry Gibson, best known for "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In" and his Golden Globe-nominated performance in "Nashville," has died at age 73. Comic Riffs pay its respects, choosing to remember Gibson fondly also as the voice of Wilbur in the animated "Charlotte's Web" and the voice of eye-patched reporter Bob Jenkins on Fox's "King of the Hill."
| September 17, 2009; 7:15 AM ET
Categories: The Comic Strip, The Morning Line, The Political Cartoon, The Webcomic
Save & Share: Previous: Is It Time to Bottle 'Blondie'? Now's Your Chance to Defend That 'Toon
Next: The 'Riffs Interview: 'SNL's' Bill Hader Embraces His Inner Nerd for 'Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs'
Posted by: kilby | September 17, 2009 7:32 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | September 17, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: rhompson | September 17, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: capsfan77 | September 17, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: ishkabibbleA | September 17, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: comicriffscavna | September 18, 2009 4:25 AM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.