Posted at 9:05 AM ET, 12/17/2009

Vote Here: Which is the 'Best Comic of the Decade'?

By Michael Cavna

Your nominations are in -- now it's time to choose a winner.

Last week, Comic Riffs solicited reader nominations about which strips should be considered for the "Best Comic of the Decade."

Having whittled down the noms to the Top 15 most-popular, we present the poll below. Now's your chance to pick your fave -- the one comic that you think, since 2000, has stood above all others.

Who's it gonna be? Comic Riffs is eager to find out, so here goes:

• BABY BLUES
  • INK PEN
  • LIO
  • NON SEQUITUR
  • PEARLS BEFORE SWINE
  • SHERMAN'S LAGOON
  • TOM THE DANCING BUG

(Note: This reader poll is unscientific and nonbinding.)

By Michael Cavna  | December 17, 2009; 9:05 AM ET
Categories:  The Comic Strip, The E-Mailbag  | Tags:  Best Comic of the Decade
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Michael Chabon & Wes Anderson pick 'em: Their favorite Christmas animation
Next: Obama's Nobel Act: When cartoonists declare war

Comments

Baby Blues and not Zits? I almost didn't vote.

Posted by: dstu | December 17, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm not voting if Zits isn't even in the top 15.

Posted by: JkR- | December 17, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

So Frazz makes the top 15, but the Post can't see fit to run it every day and put it on the comics page? It would be nice if the editors actually pay attention to these things.

Posted by: agefen | December 17, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

>> dstu and JkR:

I was stunned "Zits" didn't get more moms during the nominations process. All I could figure was that as good and wonderful as it is, many people take it for granted.

-- M.C.

Posted by: cavnam | December 17, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

My personal favorite amongst the dead tree comics would be 9CWL.

Posted by: kcghost | December 17, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

It should be noted that none of the second-generation "zombie" strips, which occupy so much of the WaPo comics pages, made it to the top 15 in the running. It's also noteworthy that Cul de Sac, which the Post runs in b/w on Sundays (in a place where almost no one will see it), which has never been featured on weekdays on the Web site, and which hasn't been updated in its Sunday-only version on the Web site since September 13, is making a strong bid to finish near the top. It's too bad that no one who is in charge of the comics at the Post will take the least bit of notice to either of those results.

Posted by: seismic-2 | December 17, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I feel bad about the absence of Zits. When I listed my favorites I left it out. When I noticed it I meant to go back and add it, but I forgot. The only reason for my forgetting it is that Zits is at the end of the alphabet and I mustn't have gotten to Z mentally when I posted. It definitely belongs in my top 10.

Posted by: elyrest | December 17, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Me too suprized that Zits not in top ten...but then Non Sequitor, is not as far up as I would have thought.

Can't stand Lio - can't believe the rating. What am I missing with this, what I regard as, bad cartoon.

Posted by: ZeldaJane | December 18, 2009 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Any comic strip "best of" list that includes "Frazz" and "Candorville" and doesn't include "Pooch Cafe" and "Zits" is way flawed to begin with. These results are moot at best.

Posted by: rkato6654 | December 18, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

I don't believe it.
Of course zits should be way up there.

I am a comic addict and there are very few
that I can't read. Among them are
Lio - perhaps you might explain to some
of us what it is all about.

I also don't understand Get Fuzzy, but then
I understand that some people do.

Posted by: vera12 | December 18, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

I totally second vera12. Lio is the most unfunny comic strip I have ever seen, and I do read the WaPo comics weekdays and Sundays. Its single story line -- big slimy monsters -- jumped the shark a long time ago. Zits on the other hand should be where Lio is in the poll.

Posted by: oboe1 | December 18, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

>> NOTE:

"Zits" and "Pooch Cafe" both cracked the top-20 in nominations. Comic Riffs *will* note any or all write-in campaigns for a particular strip not listed in the poll.

-- M.C.

Posted by: cavnam | December 18, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

What is the point of this? In one night, Lio goes from 1% of the vote to 17% of the vote. These things are a joke.

Posted by: darrinf | December 18, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Since "Comic Riffs *will* note any or all write-in campaigns", here's another vote for Zits.

Posted by: greggwiggins | December 18, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I, too, noticed the major jump with the Lio votes. This has happened time and again with polls like this. Someone stuffs the ballot box not realizing that it is so obvious to anyone keeping track. In a poll votes don't swing that wildly unless outside forces monkey with the results.

I like Pooch Cafe too.

Posted by: elyrest | December 18, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Pooch Cafe certainly belongs on the list.

Posted by: greasypores | December 18, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised at the number of votes garnered by a one-trick-pony like "Lio", and a hackneyed maternal pity-party like "Baby Blues".
My choice is "Frazz", fresh, literate, witty, and accessible. Why the Post truncates its presence, I don't know. Stick the "Peanuts" reruns on the Kid's page.

Posted by: labradog | December 19, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I'm a big fan of Girl Genius, but I don't really see it as a comic strip, but rather a comic book that moved online for financial viability.

Posted by: Mrhode | December 19, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

So now Girl Genius is WAY up in front. Funny how a comic that had about 2% of the vote yesterday and 14% earlier today now has 43% of the vote. There were about 800 votes cast in the last few hours and they all went to Girl Genius. Sad that people just can't leave these things alone. It makes the comic look rather pathetic. They should just throw out ALL the votes for that comic.

Posted by: elyrest | December 19, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Yay. Now a comic strip that never should have been in the poll, Girl Genius, gets 10 times the vote of all the other strips combined in a 12-hour period, ruining a poll that might have been otherwise interesting. Yay, internet. Now we all learn nothing about what people might really have chosen.

Posted by: darrinf | December 19, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

It's unlikely that the data is logged in such a way to make it possible, but it would have been interesting to see a progressive graph (percentages on the Y-axis, vs. time on the X-axis). A differential (d%/dt) would be even better: Each of the successive automated attacks would show up as a spike on the graph, and would permit those votes to be selectively trashed.

Of course, a better solution is to implement a poll that requires either a login, or simply a "enter the graphic characters" field, thus preventing robotic attacks. The current "anonymous" method has proven to be a waste of time.

Posted by: kilby | December 20, 2009 7:14 AM | Report abuse

kilby: It's not a matter of robotic attacks. It's simply a matter of having a fan base and linking to the article. Once that fan base is made aware of the poll, they'll vote.

1) In your opinion, who should have been allowed to vote?
2) Should people not link to Washington Post content and drive traffic here?

Posted by: KenB1966 | December 20, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

KenB1966 - the problem with your comment is that I was semi tracking the votes for a period yesterday. The voting pattern was not a random one which would show up as as an irregular pattern. This increase was regular and time oriented. It was vote packing. The problem with linking to the article is that it no longer becomes a poll that has any merit for the reader base of the column. This happens frequently online and there is little anyone can do about it. Once it becomes obvious though the fan base looks a little pathetic to other readers thereby gaining nothing. And one more entertaining poll becomes meaningless.

Posted by: elyrest | December 20, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I wanted to show how unfair these strips are. I personally voted for Girl Genius 2,000+ times. And I've never heard of it. It's just a simple script that resets cookies and votes repeatedly.

Posted by: rimjo | December 21, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

How does "Girl Genius" reach 46% of the vote, when it's not in the either the print or on-line editions of the Post? It may in fact be a great strip, but I've never heard of it until this poll. That said, it was a hard decision. I finally voted for Non Sequitur, but several of the others are also on my "must read/favorites" list.

I did notice that Spiderman didn't make the list. That strip ceased to be "amazing" - or even amusing - years ago. Hey, WaPo, why not put Spiderman on the Kid's Post page and move Frazz back into the grown-ups section?

Posted by: alert4jsw | December 21, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Sour grapes.

How was this 'more interesting', 'more entertaining' and more valid a poll before those who actually love one particular comic found out about it?

Alert4jsw had a good point - if this was for Post comics only, how /did/ Girl Genius get on the list?

If it's for webcomics alone, there's at least four other very long-running strips, one of which was nominated for a Hugo award, which weren't listed.

Somebody spotted the poll, and told her friends... who told their friends... and we all came and voted our preference. Or is enthusiasm about a work not allowed?

'Now we all learn nothing about what people might really have chosen.' Sorry, I didn't realise I wasn't 'people', but you know what they say - on the internet, nobody knows you're a Dog.

Corgi

Posted by: SFFCorgi | December 21, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I am not even going to vote, but have to comment that there are comics on this list that have not had the following and great reader comments as the comic Agnes. She should be on this list and is my vote for best Comic of the Decade!!!!!

Posted by: Scadooodle | December 22, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

The only rational reason to conduct any poll is to obtain the preferences of a representative sample of the population (in this case, "Comic Riffs" and/or "Washington Post" readers). When ONE author makes a public request to mobilize her own fan base, this subverts the objective process, making the results worthless. It's like asking Gallup to predict the results of a presidential election on the basis of voters on the floor of the Republican convention.

There were a few earlier attempts to swamp the comic vote in other directions, but this final trump has utterly obliterated all of the previous attempts to stuff the ballot box.

Future polls should be conducted directly on the Post's site, so that the login requirement can be used to prevent duplicate votes.

Posted by: kilby | December 22, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I second the "woulda voted for 9 Chickweed Lane had it been listed" motion. Cul de Sac has lots of potential, but it's too early to call it a "decade" winner.

Posted by: LNER4472 | December 22, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse