Posted at 10:05 AM ET, 12/ 8/2009

Take the 'Riffs Reader Quiz: Test your comical tastes in 60 seconds

By Michael Cavna

So yesterday -- in which Comic Riffs asked what the "Comic Strip of the Decade" is -- commenter "5232news" complimented the comic strip "Agnes" by declaring the title character superior to another sharp-witted, oft-sarcastic little girl marked by her bleak outlook: Danae from "Non Sequitur."

Wrote "5232news": "Agnes is terrific -- probably what NS's Danae aspires to be."

Well, that sounds like a direct challenge if ever we heard one. So much so, in fact, that in that spirit, 'Riffs offers this Wildly Random Five-Question Quiz to test your comic strip tastes. So without further adieu, here's the ballot:

By Michael Cavna  | December 8, 2009; 10:05 AM ET
Categories:  The Comic Strip, The E-Mailbag
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Which comic strip do we deem 'Best of the Decade'?
Next: The Great 'Non Sequitur' Vote: A D.C. entrant cracks the Final Four

Comments

I like the polls, but I wish you would include a "don't follow one or either of the above strips." There were a couple I don't read so I left 'em blank.

Posted by: ishkabibbleA | December 8, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Agnes is a brutal strip. Just awful

Posted by: MarylanDChris | December 8, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I like a lot of The Far Side-esque strips. Got Brevity and Argyle Sweater collections in my bookshelf. Read "Strange Brew" in Arkansas. I guess they aren't conceptually "original," but they each put a different spin on the bizarre observations.

But I don't think any panel is as consistently on the mark as The Far Side was. Fifteen+ years later and Larson is still the man.

Posted by: goldpress | December 8, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

When it comes to single panel strips, Bizarro is by far the best, IMO. He's the only one who is doing his own thing, not just being a pale copy of Larson. Also Dan Piraro is ten times the artist Argyle Sweater's Scott Hilburn is.

Posted by: marshlc | December 8, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

I love me some Agnes,

Posted by: rhompson | December 9, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

I had to skip the Dilbert/XKCD as I have never heard of XKCD; so, yeah, you need a do not follow spot, if there is room.

Posted by: ZeldaJane | December 9, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

How can you compare the artwork of Dilbert and XKCD? Two totally different things that work perfectly for their respective strips.

Posted by: IndolentCin | December 9, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I agree with other posters that there should have been an option of "no opinion" where 1 or more of the options are strips that we have never read. I read about 10 strips here, 3 more King feature ones at my local paper, and another 20 or so at GoComics and Comics.com-but I only read the ones I like, and try to catch all daily. I only log in to comment at the latter. Comics are a GREAT way to brighten the start of any day!

Posted by: vldazzle | December 10, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Agnes is an awful strip; not funny and horribly drawn. Probably the worst strip since Zippy the Pinhead. Who picks these things?

Posted by: dandysmom | December 11, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse