Posted at 10:00 AM ET, 01/12/2010

What's your favorite Webcomic? Let the balloting begin

By Michael Cavna

A funny thing happened on the way to the comics forum...

Some weeks back, Comic Riffs asked readers to nominate -- and then vote on -- what they thought the "Best Comic of the Decade" was. The nominations were narrowed to 15 -- most of them syndicated print comics -- and the balloting began in earnest.

After a day or so, there were a few hundred votes. After a few days, there were a coupla thousand votes -- and surging into the lead like Secretariat on McGwire-strength steroids was one strip: the webcomic "Girl Genius." (As of this writing, the webcomic has polled 44 percent of the more than 3,200 votes.)

It was perfectly clear what had happened: "GG's" online armies had been mobilized. And here's the Seinfeldian kicker of a verdict: "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

As Comic Riffs has written about fairly often, creators urging their votes to vote in various online or phone polls is par for the course. Cartoonists -- be they print, webcomic or hybrid -- routinely and regularly take to Facebook, Twitter or their own blogs to spur the fan-troops into action. It's all part of the game, natch. (Caveat: As long as these aren't polls used to determine which comics are being dropped by a publication; those polls must -- must! -- be scientific and all but immune to hack attacks).

That said, I've been meaning to ask readers this: What, do they think, is the "Best WEBCOMIC of the Past Decade"? Because as we all know -- and what the previous "Best Comic" polling merely testified to -- is that every year, webcomics only grow as a force and factor in the cartooning industry.

So, as a way to acknowledge directly The Rise of the Webcomic for a moment, Comic Riffs is asking for your nominations for Best Webcomic of the Past Decade.

The nomination process is now open -- feel free to use the Comments field below, or to contact Comic Riffs by Facebook or Twitter -- to register your faves. The nominations window will close at midnight this Friday -- to be followed the next week by (unscientific) poll voting.

Are you a webcomic fan? Then by all means: Fire away.

By Michael Cavna  | January 12, 2010; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  The Webcomic  | Tags:  Girl Genius, Webcomics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'SPIDER-MAN 4': Tobey Maguire cut loose from the webcrawler franchise
Next: How would you change the comics? A veteran editor opens a window

Comments

Good Lord...
Off the top of my head:

Order of the Stick
Something Positive
Wapsi Square
Candi
Kevin and Kell

Posted by: jonathnaleshin | January 12, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Has anybody taken a look at Pibgorn, a web comic that appears on gocomics.com? What's unique is the comments section. While other comics have larger readerships, it's hard to imagine one with a more devoted following. This strip can have hundreds of comments each day, to the point where it has spawned a community. The art and story lines are excellent, but the devotion of the readership seems totally unique.

Posted by: su10 | January 12, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

UserFriendly.org and xkcd are the only two web only comics I read.

Posted by: wiredog | January 12, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

xkcd and userfriendly.org for sure.

Posted by: pltrgyst | January 12, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

My vote goes to "Pibgorn". The storylines are long and convoluted but always fascinating, and the artwork is incomparably wonderful. The comments section is a big plus, because we do love the strip and we love to talk, about the strip and everything else.

Posted by: texasgal6 | January 12, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

1. Pibgorn
2. Jane's World
3. Penny & Aggie
4. Red String
5. Chester XYV
6. Girls with Slinsghots
7. Least I Could Do
8. Out There

Posted by: kcghost | January 12, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

These are the ones that I read every morning:
9 Chickweed Lane
Pibgorn
Girl Genius
Schlock Mercenary
Evil Inc.
Mythtickle
Frazz when it is not running in the paper edition of the Washington Post

Posted by: martygear | January 12, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Pibgorn at comics.com has amazing artwork and intricate plots (woe is s/he who comes in part way through a storyline, but there are archives). The online community that has formed as a result is equally amazing.

Indexed (thisisindexed.com) isn't a conventional "comic" so much as a daily visual puzzle or pun or observation in graphical form. You just have to see it, you'll know what I mean.

Posted by: meeper1 | January 12, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I heartily recommend Cat and Girl, Overcompensating, Wondermark, Tony Millionaire, and Irregular Webcomic. I'd plunk for Partially Clips as well, but Rob Balder has just killed the strip (alas).

Posted by: Theophylact | January 12, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Navy Bean
I Loathe Kevin Millar
Devin Crane, Comic Strip Ghostwriter

Posted by: rimjo | January 12, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Not to slam on Pibgorn, which I've never heard of today and will probably spend to much time reading its archives, Penny arcade has 2 conventions each with likely over 50K attending. That's a darn big community. Also their charity raised 1.7 million this year. All that said, community means different things to different people and to some extent, PA has moved beyond community and into lifestyle.

Posted by: jonathnaleshin | January 12, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Hard to believe I've been reading webcomics for a whole DECADE! My faves:

Dinosaur Comics
Perry Bible Fellowship
Eric Monster Millikin (was titled Fetus-X for several years)
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal
Diesel Sweeties
Freak Angels

Posted by: 300poodles | January 12, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Girl Genius
Penny Arcade
Wondermark (technically webcomic now that the Onion isn't syndicating this fine creation)
PvP
Cat and Girl
I'm a huge fan of Templar, AZ even though sometimes I get the feeling the story isn't going ANYWHERE.
And no love for Pokey the Penguin? Just kidding. Pokey makes my head hurt.

Posted by: RKaufman13 | January 12, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Navy Bean
Penny Arcade
Perry Bible Fellowship

Posted by: greasypores | January 12, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I give preference to people who update daily, or at least try to do so. Frankly, though, if my top three only updated once a month, they would still be my top three.

Something Positive

New Adventures of Queen Victoria

Posted by: seismic-2 | January 13, 2010 4:13 AM | Report abuse

C'est La Vie

www.clv-comic.com

Posted by: altheman | January 13, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Diesel Sweeties
I realize that this is for the past decade, but Perry Bible Fellowship is "out of print" isn't it?

Posted by: soccermutha | January 13, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Pibgorn

Posted by: salemkern3 | January 13, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Sinfest
Tales of the Questor
Count Your Sheep

Posted by: drazen1 | January 13, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I'm with wiredog on UserFriendly and XKCD.

Does New Adventures of Queen Victoria count? It started as a web comic, but I think it runs in some local papers these days.

I will say I discovered Pibgorn through this blog and I like it...but I can't swing a vote for it.

Brooke McEldowney has a successful syndicated strip in 9 Chickweed Lane - that he's expanded into the web-only universe is something that was granted to him by his syndicate - he didn't have to build it from scratch, like many of the other web-based strips out there who built up by word of mouth. He promoted it through 9CL.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | January 13, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

when I think about webcomics (being a creator of one that, sadly, won't get nominated for this recognition), I try to think of ones that have had some impact on the genre. There are some great comics out there.
XKCD, Rice Boy and Order of Tales, The Abominable Charles Christopher, Questionable Content, GPF Comics, Dominic Deegan, One Swoop Fell, Sheldon, Goats (technically over a decade old but had a really good run in the last few years), AppleGeeks, Kukuburi, Goblins, Dead Winter, and Anders Loves Maria.

Posted by: technosapien | January 13, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Questionable Content
Candi
Devil's Panties
Nukees
Girl Genius
Anders Loves Maria
Ask Rachel (on break at the moment)
Medium Large
All Corey Pandolph's work (which is now on ucomics)
PvP

Eerie Cuties
Little Dee
Misfile
MARRY ME

Posted by: NCWeber | January 13, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Navy Bean

overwritten, underdrawn and brilliant.

Posted by: oscarevans | January 13, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Devin Crane, Comic Strip Ghostwriter is a scathing look at the comics and Web comics industry.

Posted by: ArlingtonJoe | January 13, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Calamities of Nature is consistently funny and insightful.

Posted by: cackerson | January 13, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Bellen!

Posted by: Maggsie | January 13, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

If you were doing an actual internet-wide poll and everyone on the internet voted i'm pretty sure that Penny Arcade would win.

that said Amazing Superpowers is my favorite comic anywhere.

Posted by: internetman | January 13, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

link ....

www.gocomics.com/devincranecomicstripghostwriter

Posted by: ArlingtonJoe | January 13, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Templar, AZ. by Spike
Digger by Ursula Verne

Digger is one of the most interesting looking comics I've seen in a long time. Great lines, unusual style, beautiful stuff.

I'm surprised that only one person so far has mentioned Templar, it's got a huge following. Also, Spike does a great job of self-promotion and has really found a niche for herself in the webcomics world. Oh, and her dialogue is brilliant.

Posted by: beardo1 | January 13, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

If I limited my list to webcomics that persisted continuously (or at least close) for the entire decade, I'd be left with:

College Roomies from Hell!!!
GPF
Goats
Nukees
Schlock Mercenary (technically started 6/2000, but I'll give Howard a free six months)

Posted by: mahogony | January 14, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Whoops.

I left off Devin Crane, Comic Strip Ghostwriter too.

Posted by: greasypores | January 14, 2010 12:24 AM | Report abuse

XKCD

Order of the Stick is great, but you have to appreciate Dungeons and Dragons.

Posted by: tfoster306 | January 14, 2010 6:39 AM | Report abuse

Kevin and Kell

Posted by: lmthib1 | January 14, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Unshelved http://www.unshelved.com/

Posted by: koala750 | January 14, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Here are my picks and why I picked them:

1. Get Your War On - Best political webcomic of the decade, best clip-art webcomic
2. Eric Monster Millikin - Best painted webcomic, best horror webcomic
3. A Softer World - Best photo webcomic
4. Achewood - Best talking animal webcomic

Posted by: steph2010 | January 14, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

jesus and mo (best webcomic evaH)
xkcd
pvp
penny arcade

Posted by: bronnie | January 14, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

JesusandMo.net - SO on the button!

Posted by: PaulaKirby | January 14, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

General Protection Fault Comic.
A long running comic, if duration has any meaning, it definately is in the upper class of comics. A comic with plenty of computer humor, but not going over the heads of luddies. some Sci-fi antics as well, broken up with the occasional bit of drama. Well drawn, and going between storyline-style and self-contained strips. over 10 years and going, without going stale or having to forcing the characters into stasis.

Posted by: rock_attlian | January 14, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Jesus & Mo for sure! The best and funniest thing in decades!

Posted by: PatCrawford | January 14, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Hark! A Vagrant

Posted by: rhompson | January 14, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I love the deadpan humor (speaking literally as well as figuratively) in Jesus and Mo. Can't wait for the next collection to be published.

Posted by: floridian99 | January 14, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Let me second the nomination of Jesus & Mo. (One of us nominators must have the correct spelling of it.)

Posted by: med41 | January 14, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Let's see... I'll vote for Girl Genius again anyway, but I also regularly read (in no particular order):

No Need for Bushido
Schlock Mercenary
Least I Could Do
XKCD
Sluggy Freelance
Order of the Stick
No Rest for the Wicked
Shadowgirls
Family Man
Kevin & Kell

...and there's several others who have just stopped updating, so I won't include those now.

Posted by: SFFCorgi | January 14, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Oh, by the way - I want to clarify that the previous assertation on the part of Girl Genius fandom was entirely actions on our part; the Foglios might not even have heard of the poll, and did not promote it themselves at all.

See... they don't *need* to.

Posted by: SFFCorgi | January 14, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Jesus & Mo

Go and look - it's brilliant.

Posted by: JoeFogey | January 15, 2010 2:53 AM | Report abuse

I forgot to mention "Russell's Teapot"

Posted by: JoeFogey | January 15, 2010 2:54 AM | Report abuse

Pibgorn
Queen Vic

Posted by: jimbo1949 | January 15, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

With it's vivid colors and eye-popping images, Eric Monster Millikin's horror comic gets my vote.

Posted by: stumping | January 15, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Day by Day Cartoon by Chris Muir‏. Read it and you'll know why. Fabulous artwork and a "distinctive" point of view.

Posted by: geeded1 | January 16, 2010 12:55 AM | Report abuse

This comic was the first that came to mind:

MS Paint Adventures at www.mspaintadventures.com
-The comic really takes advantage of the internet and creates a truly unique form that no other medium could replicate. Basically, the comic is like a text-based adventure game, with the readers giving commands on where the story should go and what the characters should do. After experimenting with stories like Bard Quest and JailBreak, the creator, Andrew Hussie, was able to create Problem Sleuth, currently his only completed adventure and not just one of his best works, but one of the best works in the webcomics community. His current story, Homestuck, has taken further steps by experimenting with Flash and creating short cut scenes and small interactive games. Andrew has inspired his readers to create similar adventures in the format, and some artists have created some truly amazing work.

Posted by: PrettyJeff | January 17, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse