Posted at 10:01 AM ET, 05/19/2010

Pakistan blocks Facebook in response to 'Everybody Draw Muhammad Day' pages [UPDATED]

By Michael Cavna

When is a cartoon not "just" a cartoon? Well, perhaps when an entire nation decides to ban its citizens' access to Facebook over a page spawned by an illustration. An illustration that, in turn, was created to support an animated cartoon show.

A Pakistani court has ordered authorities to temporarily block the social-networking service over the Facebook-ignited campaign "Everybody Draw Muhammad Day," according to Agence France Presse.

The campaign encouraging people to caricature Muhammad is scheduled for May 20. The primary Facebook page that arose in recent weeks to promote "Everybody Draw Muhammad Day" now has more than 40,000 "fans." The page's status updates, however, have been a frequent stream of vitriol -- a hate-laced war of words and images.

According to AFP, a group of Islamic lawyers petitioned a court Wednesday for "a blanket ban" on Facebook in Pakistan. Justice Ejaz Chaudhry of the Lahore High Court ordered the Pakistan Telecommunications Authority (PTA) to block Facebook until a May 31 hearing, AFP says.

"We have already blocked the URL link and issued instruction to Internet service providers," said PTA representative Khurram Mehran, according to al-Jazeera. But Facebook users in Pakistan told AFP they could still access the site after the ban was imposed Wednesday.

About 2,000 women protested against Facebook on Wednesday in the southern city of Karachi, as did several dozen men nearby at a separate rally, the AP reports. The women, many of them students, reportedly demanded that Facebook be banned.

The person who created the primary page, Jon Wellington, reportedly has withdrawn his support of the campaign, Last month, Wellington told Comic Riffs: "I created a Facebook event because that's an easy way to remind myself of upcoming events. ... I am not a cartoonist, and I loved [Molly Norris's] creative approach to the whole thing -- whimsical and nonjudgmental."

Molly Norris is the Seattle cartoonist who last month created the posterlike illustration "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day!" to support what she termed the censorship of the creators of the Comedy Central animated show "South Park." In April, "South Park" creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker said Comedy Central censored their attempts to depict Muhammad and edited a speech within the show about responding to fear and intimidation.

Comedy Central's editing of the show followed talk of violence toward Stone and Parker on the website RevolutionMuslim.com. The website posted an image of the fatal stabbing of filmmaker Theo Van Gogh, a noted critic of Islam, with a caption that asked whether Stone and Parker had forgotten what happened to Van Gogh.

News reports said the Revolution Muslim posts were by Abu Talhah Al-Amrikee -- a.k.a. Zachary Adam Chesser of Virginia, a recent George Mason University student, according to a FoxNews.com report.

Some Muslims consider any depiction of Muhammad to be blasphemous.

Within days of drawing her illustration, Norris told Comic Riffs that she was distancing herself from the viral campaign that had risen around it.

This morning, Norris told Comic Riffs: "I will not be drawing Mohammed on May 20."

Norris continued: "I joined 'Against Everybody Draw Mohammed Day' [on Facebook] and folks from there write to me. I never even set up a place where people could send images to. Other people started Facebook pages for this day but I never did. ... My cartoon was the beginning and end of expressing my personal views about Comedy Central's South Park censorship."

The primary "AGAINST 'Everybody Draw Mohammed Day' " page on Facebook now has nearly 60,000 supporters who "like" the page.

"If I had wanted my one-off cartoon to be the basis for a worldwide movement to draw Mohammed, then at this moment I should be thrilled," Norris tells Comic Riffs today. "But instead I am horrified! My one-off cartoon that was specifically about Comedy Central's behaviour vs. Revolution Muslim's threat leading to a slippery slope of censorship in America is not good for a long-term plan.

"The results have shown to be vitriolic and worse, offensive to Muslims who had nothing to do with the censorship issue I was inspired to draw about in the first place."

THE RELATED READ:

MOLLY NORRIS: Apologetic Seattle cartoonist urges "Everybody Draw Al Gore Day" instead.

MOLLY NORRIS: Post-'South Park': Cartoonist retreats from 'Everybody Draw Mohammed Day!

JON STEWART: 'Daily Show' satirizes own network's censorship of 'South Park' Muhammad episode

'SOUTH PARK': Is pro-jihad website threatening cartoonists over Muhammad satire?

LARS VILKS: Swedish 'Muhammad' artist goes into hiding after attack; arrests made

LARS VILKS: 'Muhammad cartoonist' undaunted after new attack [VIDEO]

PULITZER PETITION: 17 Pulitzer-winning cartoonists 'condemn threat' against 'South Park' creators

By Michael Cavna  | May 19, 2010; 10:01 AM ET
Categories:  General, The Political Cartoon  | Tags:  Everybody Draw Mohammed Day/May 20, Facebook, Jon Wellington, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, Molly Norris, Pakistan, South Park
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: HAPPY 5th, YouTube! Eight Animated Clips to Mark the Cultural Occasion
Next: THEIR TURN: 12 top cartoonists offer their take on 'Draw Muhammad Day'

Comments

Pakistan can ban Facebook or whatever technology it wants - I certainly won't miss a thing if Pakistanis disappeared off the site. Actually, since Muslim countries have the habit of banning that depicts Mohammed, maybe we should print Mohammed pictures inside books on nuclear physics and electronics.

Posted by: wavelet | May 19, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

You may not like this event - although I can't imagine why, all religious rules aside - but people can do it. And if God, or Allah, or whoever it is (if anyone) is offended, then let Him sort it out.

Posted by: ravensfan20008 | May 19, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Cartoons are a threat to Islam??

Here is a story from AP on how terror and hatred is part of Paki Islamic culture:

"Local Pakistan politicians shelter militants

By KATHY GANNON
The Associated Press
Thursday, May 6, 2010; 8:32 AM

JHANG, Pakistan -- It's a troubling trend in Pakistan's biggest and richest province of Punjab: Leaders there are tolerating and in some cases promoting some of the country's most violent Islamist militant groups.

Provincial officials have ignored repeated calls to crack down on militant groups with a strong presence here, with one senior minister campaigning publicly with members of an extremist group that calls for Shiite Muslims to be killed.

Some of the militant groups are allied with the northwest-based Pakistani Taliban, which claimed responsibility for a failed car bombing in New York City last week. A group based in Punjab, Jaish-e-Mohammed, also has been implicated as having possible links to one of the people detained in Pakistan in connection with the bombing attempt... "

Posted by: karsanghasi | May 19, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

These facebook people have a death wish. The Muslim fundamentalist will relentlessly pursue those people and it is no joke to them. This is more about the people making the protest rather than a political statement. I imagine if somebody posted a facebook page or cartoons depicting Jesus in an unsavory manner then a lot of folks would get pretty hot. Of course the Muslim fundamentalist take it as a deadly insult so these cartoonist and facebook clowns are merely provoking them. But the Muslim fundamentalist will never relent, much like that movie "Jeremiah Johnson" starring Robert Redford, where the Crow warriors continuously try to kill Johnson.

Posted by: kschur1 | May 19, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Michael, will YOU be drawing Mohammed tomorrow?

Posted by: dstu | May 19, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I do agree with the ban. In fact a good non-violent way of protest should be to disable ones facebook account for a day. Non muslims don't understand how much hurt these cartoons cause. True believers have tremendous love and respect for their Prophet. Imagine how it would feel if someone insults your mother and dishonors her. Its something most people will defend. For muslims, love for their prophet is a thousand times more. For muslims, I would say.. violence is not the answer. The prophet himself was abused physically numerous times, but he never reacted violently,instead he prayed and asked for their forgiveness. Boycott Facebook is the answer.

Posted by: shamazsalim | May 19, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Americans (and Anglo-Saxons generally) are huge puritanical hypocrites.

Sure, laugh at Pakistan for taking such silly actions to ban images. It's stupid and backwards, I agree.

Then look at places like Australia, that are trying to install national filters on their Internet connections, so that the government can ban images and information *they* find offensive or dangerous.

And, if you're a single male traveler coming back from Asia, expect that the nice US border agents will welcome you back to the "Land of the Free" with a thorough examination of all the information on your laptop/phone/iPod, to make sure you're not carrying with you any images or information we Americans find "offensive."

We've all got insane cultural taboos on what mere *images* or information are so offensive that they must be legally blocked/criminalized. And of course, *our* silly ideas never seem silly to us.

If there weren't an American citizen sitting in an American prison for possession of a JAPANESE CARTOON BOOK ("Christopher Handley" -- Google him), then maybe we could throw stones at Pakistan.

Posted by: kcx7 | May 19, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Screw'em I say. I'll be drawing Mohammed on May 20, and in some less than flattering women's underwear no less. Heck, I might even decide to replace my roll of Charmin with the Koran at the same time.

Wipe that, Bozos!

Posted by: JoStalin | May 19, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

shamazsalim wrote:
"For muslims, love for their prophet is a thousand times more [than non-Muslims love their mothers]."
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
I had always supposed that all people love their mothers pretty much the same. I can't even say that I love anybody including my wife (and the mother of my children) of 12 years more than I love my mother. The only exceptions would be my kids. I might love my kids more than my mother. Anyhow, somehow I'm supposed to believe that Muslims are capable of feeling a love a thousand times stronger than that which I feel for my mother?

BTW, people have insulted my mother and my kids before. Except in a rhetorical way, I've never threatened anybody's life for it, nor would I ever think of actually doing serious bodily harm to somebody just because they dained to draw an offensive picture of them, even if that picture involved impossible sexual geometries with a camel. It's just too bad that these uncivilized, uneducated cretinous Muslim fundamentalists can't be more tolerant of the rest of the world.

Posted by: JoStalin | May 19, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

The way the media tiptoes around this issue is frightening. As if any expression, pictorial or otherwise is equivalent to death threats when such have been carried out on perceived blasphemers of Islam.

Can any of them see the difference? Crude depictions are offensive. Death threats are criminal, especially when some have been sanctioned by Muslim institutions and some have been carried out.

Posted by: edbyronadams | May 19, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Its hilarious to me that so many people really want to draw the prophet... apparently not enough things to do in their life...

Posted by: kream85 | May 19, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

kcx7, this is your opportunity to thumb your nose at both the Muslims and the "puritanical" Anglo Saxons. Feel free to draw Mohammed consummating his marriage to a nine year old on May 20.

Posted by: edbyronadams | May 19, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Just Google "picture of Mohammed" and you will find hundreds of sites with pictures of him, most of them not very flattering. Of course, no one really knows what he looked like, it's just your generic bearded fat old man with the glaring hate-filled eyes. Are Muslims going to wage holy war for their god against the whole internet?

Posted by: DaveHarris | May 19, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Is Pakistan going to ban paper as well, because it was used to distribute more offending cartoon.

This is bad religion in any case, The Prophet made it extremely clear he was just a man, and banned complementary artists from drawing him because he wanted to avoid being deified. Killing people or even banning a whole form of social interaction because some one drew a unflattering carton is exactly that Deification. If the Prophet was a man, then it doesn't matter what some fool draws. However, even the religious nuts in Pakistan are not really this stupid, they are using this as an excuse to ban face book because its Western, and encourages the free exchange of ideas and puts a human face on people from other societies.

Posted by: Muddy_Buddy_2000 | May 19, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

shamazsalim
You realize FaceBook did not create the page, they did not censor it. I willing to bet there are lots of pages that make fun of Jesus, or his God Hood, or other things that Christians do not like. There certainly are 1000's of pages that make fun of our elected officials usually in unfair and often totally dishonest ways.
Its called free expression, and does not threaten legitimate faith at all. All religious figures are made fun of in the West all the time, its not an anti-Islamic thing, usually its "I am a Bratty Teenager Thing" (not related to the brat's actual age).

Posted by: Muddy_Buddy_2000 | May 19, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

The battle against extremism takes another blow...

Posted by: SirPelleas | May 19, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the idea!

I'm going to go post some drawings of ole' hamhead with a bomb-turban on my facebook site right away!

I think I'll make some star wars ones out of his mug too - oh, and a smurf...man, this stuff just writes itself.

Oh the hilarity.

I'll even make some wacky packee characters too - showing them all in dire poverty making shoe & underwear bombs!

Posted by: BattleOffSamar | May 19, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I'VE GOT IT!!!

We will make lots of grafitti stencils and spraypaint identical graffitti images of ole' hamhead on the sidewalks all over town!!!

Let's do it people! Be sure to make his turban a bomb, with bomb shoes and bomb underpants! Give him a gut, scrawny legs and bad teeth too!

Posted by: BattleOffSamar | May 19, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Look people, either we stand together here in the United States, in support of the First Amendment,or we succumb to the terrorists' threats of violence - one person, and one threat, at a time.

This has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with the rights of Americans IN AMERICA!

Posted by: BattleOffSamar | May 19, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Everything you people said is non-sense.We Muslims are more than "extremists" or "fundamentalists" we are people too.We only asked for you to respect our religion and our Prophet Muhammed(p.b.u.h).We would never do the same to Jesus or Moses as our religion teaches us to respect other religions.By depicting our beloved Prophet you have just shown us one thing,you people can never respect Muslims.I am a Muslim,I never have thought about the things what "you" people expect me to think.You people just make blind statements influenced by your own media.Our voice is'nt heard.As a Muslim the only thing I will do is pray God shows you all the straight path,and that if we're doing something wrong God shows us the right path.

Posted by: ramis-adeeb | May 19, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Americans try to act smart, they cold-blooded animals. Blood suckers, Man killers. The birth of fetish intercourse. If this is the freedom of speech then why not the Newyork times print that obama sleeps licking the bloody liquid from the cunt of his wife. What are the reasons behind NOT publishing? Well !!! The reason is MORALS. And no freedom and NO KIND of freedom allow you to throw the garbage in front of the neighbor's door. No freedom of speech allows you to call a NAME which one MINDS as BAD. No freedom of speech allows making fun of noble historical, religious personalities. The freedom of speech is to BUILD something not for FIRE up things. DAMN !!! the TERMS DAMN your BRAINS ..... DAMN taking everything so easily and DAMN you sons of NEVER married couples.

Posted by: AsifAshraf | May 19, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I like what 'wavelet' said about depicting Muhammad in nuclear physics and electronics textbooks so 'they' don't read them.

Posted by: RobertCurleyJacobs | May 19, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

@AsifAshraf: What would the Prophet do? Consider this incident from his life.

The prophet had a Jewish neighbor. Everyday the neighbor would throw his garbage at the Prophet’s door! Then, one day, the garbage stopped appearing. The Prophet wondered why and asked people about what had happened to his neighbor. He was told that the neighbor was sick, in bed. So, the Prophet went and visited his Jewish neighbor to make sure he’s OK and to wish him well. So touched was the Jewish neighbor that he later converted to Islam.

Too bad you can't follow his example and be real Muslim. Do you think the Prophet sets no example for Muslims? Or do you think you are above the Prophet? Are you the next Prophet, superseding Mohammed? Will you also rewrite the Koran?

With "believers" like you, Islam needs no enemies.

Posted by: Garak | May 19, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

You're getting the hang of it there!

Posted by: BattleOffSamar | May 19, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

What the defenders of this ban are missing, is that the cartoons are a response to ATTACKS on our freedom of speech. Most people try not to offend, but that does not mean its okay to force them not to. That is childish, words do not hurt people, and defending affronts to Prophet like he was a God or King is offensive to his memory in the extreme. Mohammed, peace be upon him, was a humble man in the extreme, and did not respond to insults with insults, much less violence. Mohammed is beyond the reach of slanders, and Allah can more than take care of offenses against Allah. So NO IS DEFENDING EITHER ON THIS Earth.
When they react so strongly to real or perceived insults to either, they are really taking the insults as PERSONNEL insults. Reacting to personnel insults is always wrong and childish. These people are shaming a great religion as badly as the 1 in a million Muslims who attack civilians. The sadness of this fact is made so much stronger by the fact that all these insults discussed are intentionally done to prove the point that Muslims can not behave like adults (note they only have proved that a few thousand out of 2 billion are so childish). Stop overreacting and most of these people will stop the insults.

Posted by: Muddy_Buddy_2000 | May 19, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

It is a deliberate attempt to provoke all Muslims across the world. Those obscene cartoons are not just cartoons; they are extremely obscene as well as blasphemous. It may not be a big deal for atheist west to caricature Prophets but for Muslims it is something that cant be comprehended. For us Muslims each an every Prophet is respectable be it Jesus, Moses or Muhammad, so we can rebut by making similar cartoons. The least we can do is to block facebook. Now you can tag it as fanaticism, extremism or some-other-ism but for us it is just following our religion and we have all the rights to do that.

Posted by: ehtisham_khan | May 19, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Let me try to explain the problems with killing anybody, and everybody, who draws a particular cartoon that you don't like:

I'll ignore that the world would descend into chaos and life as we know would cease and just try to address the logical fallacies:

Reality is non-negotiable. You cannot change it in the present tense. You have to deal with it somehow within the confines of your brain and still be able to focus your attention. If a thing enrages a person so completely that they can no longer control themselves like these cartoons apparently do, then it will be exploited by everybody who knows this who might have ANY reason whatsoever to want to jerk you around.

So you have two choices: deal with it, or lose your cookies everytime somebody makes a snide comment about your deity.

Now you can do whatever you want, but I live in a country with annual per capita GDP of $36K (the highest in the world) while pakistan has only $2K in annual per capita GDP. I also have paved roads, fresh water, clean air, and endless opportunity both personal and professional.

The difference: Our cookies stay in our cookie jar when somebody screams "jesus freeking christ" while all your cookies crumble to dust over a single cartoon.

Here are some daily reminders: "It's all in your head" and "deal with it".

Posted by: BattleOffSamar | May 19, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

NOTICE THAT PAKISTAN IS THE NATION TO BAN FACEBOOK.

WHY?
It is a dysfunctional nation-state based only on a religion - Islam.
IRANIANS know they are muslim & Persian.
SAUDIS know they are muslim & Arabian.
INDONESIANS, EGYPTIANS, etc. all have an ethnic identity.

PAKISTANIS know their ancestors were Hindu individuals of a weak constitution and moral fortitude. They converted to Islam out of cowardice or political expediency.
Now, they have no identity, except islam, and they are the nuttiest and most fanatical supporters of islamic terrorism.

PAKISTANIS will always have this "islamic identity" problem, until Pakistan has completely failed as a state and dissolves.

Posted by: clearthinking1 | May 19, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

In a related story, student grades in Pakistan shot up 10 points today...

Posted by: pmendez | May 19, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of the "free speech" argument, I hope the originator of the group, all of the members of the group, and anyone who submits drawings understand that their participation can be used against them by future employers. If you're in a field where egging on people of different religions is ok, then good for you. But if you're not, you may want to reconsider doing something so inflammatory in a public forum with your real name attached.

Posted by: Ally123 | May 19, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Religion is fun.

Posted by: hc2254 | May 19, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

That is disrespectful to have such a campaign to lampoon an important icon for the Muslim religion. Just as it's disrespectful what some artists have chosen to do with respect to pictures of Jesus in their so-called "art." But the world is growing coarser every day and the prevalent view seems to be that anything that is noble and fine in helping people to be lifted in spirit must be attacked and spit upon.

Posted by: Georgetowner1 | May 19, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Isn't just amazing that after 900 + years there are Muslims out there who wear the baggage of an inferiority complex on their shoulders about their religion. Any questioning of their faith is viewed as taboo. Is it a wonder that tribalism and intolerance of other's beliefs is rife in all those nations that are Islamic including those in S.E. Asia?

In a democracy, we have the right to believe in what we went. I am free to criticize any religion, and I certainly will criticize those who subscribe to a religion that is filled with clerics who call for the destruction of Israel and all Jews, even though the basis of their religion comes directly from Judaism. What they fear and hate most is the progress and development of Israeli society in the midst of nations that repress their citizens and keep their leaders in power by holding their citizenry in poverty.

Posted by: kerryberger | May 19, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

The murder of Theo Van Gogh, the fatwa on Salman Rushdie, the riots in response to the Dutch cartoons pushe those of us who mean no offense to Muslims over the edge to boorishness in solidarity with free speech.

The middle ground is giving way.

Posted by: edbyronadams | May 19, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

I have all the original Danish mohammed cartoons on my computer and they will stay there forever. If Muslims are offended then I apologize, but I am also offended by the notion that it is acceptable to murder people for their beliefs.

We all need to recognize that there are significant differences across our many cultures. But that extends to the Islamic world, which must accept that the West does things differently. It is acceptable in the West to portray religious figures and to mock them. And the Islamic world needs to recognize that if it demands an exception to this rule for itself, then that makes Islam look weaker, not stronger, by comparison.

A man who is secure in his beliefs does not need to lash out at anyone who questions him.

Posted by: simpleton1 | May 19, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

What JoStalin and others may not be taking into account is that we are dealing here with an entirely different culture with a different value system and belief structure. The fundamentalists neither think nor believe that they will be rewarded in heaven for killing the infidel (read cartoonists in this particular instance) - they know it. It is all they have ever been taught. Yet somehow we expect them to react the same way to the same situations the same way we do......this is not to say that we should not defend our freedoms of speech and religion (among others), but don't be surprised what their reaction is when something such as an 'everyone draw Mohammed day' takes place.

Posted by: NoFanofMOPAR | May 19, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

The very fact that Pakistan’s democratic government has to ban face book over ‘everybody draw Mohammed’ page lays lie to the claim by Western and American apologists of Pakistan that ’Majority of Pakistanis are moderate Muslims’.

As much as these apologists try to ignore, fact remains that overwhelming majority of Pakistani citizens are fundamentalist Islamists and would rather follow Mohammed’s medieval sermons than present-day democratic principals.

No wonder that Pakistan’s democratic government under Benazir Bhutto of its own free will facilitated relocation of Osama bin Laden from Sudan to Afghanistan in 1996.

No wonder Pakistani Army and Intelligence created, supported and assisted Taliban movement to install a fundamentalist Islamic government in 1996 Afghanistan with the full blessings and financing by Pakistan’s democratic government.

No wonder Musharraf played the duplicitous game of ‘running with the hares while hunting with the hounds’ with the Bush administration after Richard Armitage forced him to join US fight against Taliban against Musharraf’s own will, since Musharraf’s own Pakistani Army had created Taliban to begin with.

Posted by: basundi44 | May 19, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

all you need is a stick figure...a sucicide belt and some explosive with a black turban...and one guess and you got it.

Posted by: JWx2 | May 19, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Why not just one page, why the whole web site? There are other reasons behind blocking facebook. Many of 2 million internet users in Pakistan like facebook. Present rulers may block internet on any flimsy reason of religion and national security. Zardari and his associates want to rule Pakistan with secrecy.

Posted by: shahjahanbhatti1 | May 19, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Can someone tell me what Muhammad looks like, so I don't accidentally draw him?

This is as dumb as finding Jesus face in a grilled cheese sandwich or a yam that looks like Mary. NOBODY KNOWS WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE.

Maybe, in reality, he looked like this:

and we're all doomed!

Posted by: MAL9000 | May 20, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Social media, it seems, are incompatible with certain cultural core values.

There is certainly no such thing as a new media emerging creative class in Islamic countries, for instance.

Check out this interesting, relevant blog post by a recent Harvard graduate on YouTube's recent birthday, its altering effect on the TV industry, and its provision of a platform for a new creative class to emerge:

Posted by: SteveRDuque | May 20, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse