COMIC-CON: Thursday's schedule is here! (Comic Riffs's early picks)
It's here. It's here. After months of speculation and a long-ago sellout, San Diego Comic-Con today has just released its Thursday programming for 2010's event. .
Here are a mere 10 promising highlights amid an embarrassment of nerdvana riches (from the schedule):
1. "DC Comics Writers Unite!": J. Michael Straczynski (aka the man who just recostumed Wonder Woman) is joined by Paul Levitz (Legion of Super-Heroes), Dennis O'Neil (Batman, The Question), Gail Simone (Birds of Prey, Secret Six), Judd Winick (Justice League: Generation Lost, Power Girl), and moderator James Robinson (Starman, Justice League of America).
2. Entertainment Weekly: The Visionaries": A discussion with geek gods J. J. Abrams (Star Trek) and Joss Whedon [pictured right] (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) on the future of pop culture. EW presents an in-depth conversation with these two creative geniuses about how technology, gaming, and global culture are reshaping how we tell and consume stories on television, film and the web.
3. "Megamind": DreamWorks Animation makes its Comic-Con debut with Megamind. The characters Megamind and Metro Man are jettisoned to Earth as babies when their home planets are destroyed. ... Megamind stars Will Ferrell, Tina Fey, and Jonah Hill and director Tom McGrath join forces to unveil footage,
4. "The Spark of Imagination": Peek inside the minds of leading authors and filmmakers to explore how imagination informs the creative process. New York Times bestselling children's author Tony DiTerlizzi (The Spiderwick Chronicles) details the precedent-setting augmented reality used in his novel The Search for Wondla; LAIKA president/CEO Travis Knight (lead animator on the Oscar-nominated stop-motion movie Coraline) explains how his studio will continue to take bold chances in the animated feature film world; and graphic novelist and Comic-Con special guest Doug TenNapel (Earthworm Jim) describes exactly how a blank page comes to be inhabited with his compelling imagery.
5. "Walt Disney Pictures: TRON: Legacy": Returning for an unprecedented third year to the fans and convention that started it all, Walt Disney Pictures is pleased to present a special insider look at the upcoming TRON: Legacy. Panelists include filmmakers and talent from the film: director Joe Kosinski, producers Sean Bailey and Steven Lisberger, and cast members Jeff Bridges, Garrett Hedlund, Olivia Wilde, Michael Sheen, and Bruce Boxleitner. The discussion, moderated by Patton Oswalt, is set to include exclusive glimpses of the film, as well as a Q&A.
6. "Dumbrella": Artists from Dumbrella, one of the most popular online comic collectives, discuss webcomics, independent publishing, and subverting popular culture. Feel free to quiz Andrew Bell (The Creatures in my Head), Meredith Gran (Octopus Pie), Jon Rosenberg (Goats), Richard Stevens III (Diesel Sweeties), and Chris Yates (Chris Yates Studios) about anything your Internet heart desires.
7. "Marvel: Breaking into Comics the Marvel Way": Welcome to the House of Ideas, where the doors have never been more open to new talent than today! Talent liaison C. B. Cebulski is joined by special guests Brian Michael Bendis, Matt Fraction, Skottie Young, Humberto Ramos, and more to talk about what it takes to make yours Marvel as a profession, from writer to artist to editor and more!
8. "Spotlight on Keith Knight": Keith Knight's reputation as a rabble-rousing hellion is in serious jeopardy with his first stint as a special guest at Comic-Con. The Harvey award-winning cartoonist and MAD magazine contributor will spill con secrets, show strips, and give out free stuff in celebration of his first collection of daily comic strips: The Knight Life: Chivalry Ain't Dead.
9. "Dark Horse Horror": The publisher that brings you the best stories in horror comics also delivers Comic-Con's best panel on horror comics! Hellboy creator Mike Mignola, writer of the weird Steve Niles (Criminal Macabre, City of Others), and The Goon creator Eric Powell join Dark Horse editors Scott Allie and Shawna Gore for this behind-the-screams discussion.
AND of course...
10. Universal: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World": Genre-bending filmmaker Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz), graphic novel author Bryan Lee O'Malley, and the cast of Universal Pictures' Scott Pilgrim vs. the World provide a sneak peek of summer 2010's epic of epic epicness.
THE RELATED READ
SUPER SITES: The Top 10 COMIC-CON Links We're Likin' This Minute
IS THE 'CON GONE?: San Diego makes half-million-dollar offer to keep Comic-Con
ONE NERD'S OPINION: The Truest Thing You'll Read About San Diego Comic-Con. Perhaps.
| July 8, 2010; 1:15 PM ET
Categories: San Diego Comic-Con | Tags: San Diego Comic-Con 2010
Save & Share: Previous: Animator is a finalist for Post's 'Real Art D.C.' contest
Next: DC Comics releases its entire Comic-Con '10 schedule
The comments to this entry are closed.