Posted at 8:45 PM ET, 08/11/2010

*AACK!* Cathy Guisewite will retire her comic strip 'CATHY' in October [UPDATED]

By Michael Cavna

Note: This item was originally posted at 4 p.m. Aug. 11.

The rumors are true: Cathy Guisewite, the Emmy- and Reuben Award-winning creator of the acclaimed comic strip "Cathy," has decided to retire her feature as of October.

cathy.jpg

"She's decided to end the comic on Oct. 3," Universal Press Syndicate executive John Glynn tells Comic Riffs. "She is deeply appreciative of all the relationships and all the fans, but after 34 years, she feels it is time to hang it up."

Guisewite, an Ohio native who turns 60 next month, launched "Cathy" in 1976. Guisewite became one of the very few women creating a daily syndicated comic, and her strip quickly won a devoted following as her career-woman title character spoke at length about her angst in the workplace, in personal relationships, at the mall and on the bathroom scale.

Guisewite won the industry's Reuben Award in 1993 and won an Emmy Award for a "Cathy" special in 1987.

So now that her decision has gone public, how does Guisewite feel?

"Right now? It feels hideous," the cartoonist tells Comic Riffs with her trademark wry, honest humor. "I'm sure it will feel better later, but it's still sort of shocking."

Another Guisewite trademark is her humble appreciation:

"I have loved doing this job and feel blessed to have done this for a living," she says. "To be able to last this long and to be paid to turn every [personal] 'disaster' into money [is special]. To turn every bathing suit disaster ... and every calorie blunder and shopping blunder into a [comic strip] -- it's been great."

Guisewite tells Comic Riffs she has especially appreciated her connection with women readers.

"I liked feeling able to connect with millions of women on a very deep level," the cartoonist says. "It felt special that women especially would cut out my strip and place it on a refrigerator. It"s been very moving and I feel lucky to be able to connect that way."

So will Guisewite end Cathy's 34-year run with a dramatic or nostalgic flourish?

"I have no idea," Guisewite tells Comic Riffs."After all these years, I still can't think more than two weeks ahead. Deadline has always been a combination of creativity and panic. 'Sparky' (Schulz, the "Peanuts" creator) always used to call it running from in front of a train.

"I'm only in a good mood for nine minutes each week," she continues wryly. "It's always right after I send in (the strips) on Thursday afternoon. Then it all begins again. . . . Even now, I've known for several months that the end of the strip was in the works and instead of working ahead so I could be nice and contemplative, I'm just clawing (to the finish) to meet the deadlines."

PHOTOS: See photos of "Cathy" cartoons throughout the years here.

CONNECT ON TWITTER: Hey readers, sum up 34 years of Cathy in a single Tweet. We'll round up our favorites and repost them here.

FROM OUR ARCHIVES:

The Rant: When 'Cathy' haters are staler than the gag (Comic Riffs, Sep. 2008)

Cathy and Irving, the honeymoon is way over (Feb. 9, 2005)

Giving a swirley, right there in the comics (Feb. 27, 1993)

Cathy comic strip archive
(washingtonpost.com)

By Michael Cavna  | August 11, 2010; 8:45 PM ET
Categories:  General, The Comic Strip  | Tags:  Cathy, Cathy Guisewite, Universal Press Syndicate
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: VIDEO OF THE DAY: Steven Slater 'hits the chute!' on Asian TV
Next: From bikini blunders (*sweat drops!*) to Irving nuptials, how do YOU remember 'CATHY'?

Comments

I think CATHY lost its uniqueness when Guisewite had the character marry. I still missed it after the Post dropped it but it was never quite the same. Some other strips should take a hint and hang it up, too. Any why does the Post waste space on "Classic Peanuts"?

Posted by: pirate1 | August 11, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Praise the Lord! It will be remembered primarily for the phrase "marrying Irvine."

Posted by: hlabadie | August 11, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Thank God.

Posted by: ewarner2 | August 11, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Thirty-years of variations of the same half-dozen jokes.

Posted by: netgotham1 | August 11, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Cathy was tokenism on the comics pages. Let's face it, the strip was lame. Poorly drawn, rarely funny. Affirmative action at its worst. And what was the name of that even-lamer black strip? I await the feminist equivalent of The Boondocks, which is well done and wickedly funny.

Posted by: gbooksdc | August 11, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

I agree that the strip lost something after "Cathy" married. It was as if an edge (if you could call it that) disappared. To me, the single best strip included a line from Cathy's mother (that became the title of a collection of strips), "What's a Nice Single Girl Doing with a Double Bed??!"
Cathy, in those days, was a much more interesting strip.

As for the earlier comment: "Any why does the Post waste space on "Classic Peanuts"?
Because there are a lot of people, expecially those who still read papers, who don't necessary need or want edgy comics. I seldom read Peanuts any more but it's an enjoyable strip and mildly entertaining, which is about all anyone could ask of a strip.

Side note: If I tried to pick my five favorite strips or panels, I probably could name five but would then also add, "and this one..." "and this one..." There are some strips and comics that are simply enjoyable. Not knee slapping, not insightful, just enjoyable. From the Washington Post I'd say Zits, Garfield, Beetle Bailey, and Blondie. I personally enjoy Andy Capp, as well as Lio. And I think Prince Valiant, not available on-line and available only on Sundays, has been and may be the best drawn strip ever.

Is there a need for "classic" comics? I think so. Do I think Dick Tracy, Little Orphan Andy, Alley Oop, and Gasoline Alley have a place? Sure do. Just as I think there's a place for Calvin and Hobbes, The Family Circus, The Far Side, Fred Bassett, The Katzenjammer Kids, Pickles, Ziggy, and Herman. And I realize that many young readers, especially those who don't take the time to open the paper and slowly digest most of it on Sunday mornings, don't have the same appreciation for the comics that others once had (and that some of us still have). Some strips and panels are simply, for lack of a better word, enjoyable, just as people find crossword puzzles and sodoku enjoyable, recipe pages and astrology charts, box scores and obituaries. In the case of the comics, it's a couple seconds or a minute of escape, and to each his own.

Last side note: If they re-printed Pogo or Herblock editorial cartoons would I still read it? Probably. I might not enjoy it as much, but I'd still read it because it was entertaining, and most of the commentary is as accurate today as it was when it was first published.

dungarees@gmail.com

Posted by: Dungarees | August 11, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Farewell to Cathy (the strip), hopefully Hello to hopefully a new artist getting their break in syndication. Best wishes for Ms. Guisewite going forward.

I'm with those out there that wish the 'zombie' strips (Peanuts, Beetle Bailey, Blondie, etc) would just go away; The gags / storylines were by-and-large stale 20 years ago. Just let them go.

Posted by: BinM | August 11, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Remember the one where Irving convinced Cathy to try anal sex? Boy, that was a shocker.

Posted by: bendan2000 | August 11, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Mort Walker is still alive!

Posted by: hlabadie | August 11, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

lol, Fred Bassett.

Posted by: kennedye | August 11, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

At the Funeral there are several others we should bury too!

Stale jokes about a fat chick got old over 20 years ago!

I am sure it was bargain basement for the Papers to fill space with, but C'mon!

Snuffy is another that is way past lame! Much like the Frito Bandito, and Speedy Gonzalez(Who FEDs are looking for BTW!), it is also INSULTING!

Lil'Abner I believe has already gone.

Any others for the List?

Posted by: SAINT---The | August 11, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Then again; Pearls before Swine did actually make me laugh when it abused her a couple of times!

But, RAT just has more fun with Family Circus! ;~)

Posted by: SAINT---The | August 11, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance. Who needs a daily dose of petty human angst? I bet the suicide rate for slightly overweight girls will decline now. One of the worst comic strips I've ever seen - right up there with Marmaduke.

Posted by: realist2 | August 11, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Noooooooooooo!!!! I have always loved this strip and the comics won't be the same without it.

Posted by: solsticebelle | August 11, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

To anyone who actually enjoyed this comic strip: I pity you. "Oh, what's this? Cathy wants to eat a thing but is concerned because she is already overweight? HAHAHAHAHA! And look, look, the things she spends money on, they are too expensive! LOLROFLMAO."

Posted by: purpledrank | August 12, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

I read only one comic strip - Pearls Before Swine. Nothing else makes me laugh as much.

Posted by: loyal-to-rat | August 12, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

oh wow, no way dude. Too cooL!

Lou
www.privacy.shop.tc

Posted by: viggytoo | August 12, 2010 2:34 AM | Report abuse

lol, Fred Bassett.

Posted by: kennedye | August 11, 2010 9:25 PM

That was funny!

(Precisely because it's never, never, never been funny! How it gets carried by any paper is one of the great mysteries of all time!)

Posted by: cmecyclist | August 12, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Hooray!! No more drama queen, obsessed with body image, afraid to stand up to her controlling mother, idiot woman comic strip. Thanks God the Post dropped this idiotic strip years ago.

Posted by: adrienne_najjar | August 12, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Cathy who?

Posted by: WildBill1 | August 12, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Get rid of "For Better or For Worse" which has lost most readers when the comic strip stopped progression in 2008. Now that they have decided to go back in time and re-do the original strips, what is the point? To make money for Lynn Johnston the creator? Total waste of space.

Posted by: kat00 | August 12, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

When Cathy first debuted, I read an interview with Guisewite where she may have unintentionally revealed that the character's dishrag personality may be a reflection of its creator. Guisewite described the strip's supporting cast as having different ideas of what a woman should be - the chauvinist boyfriend, the traditionalist mom, the feminist friend. She claimed that women of that era were confused and frustrated because they were raised with one set of values and then were suddenly offered a completely different set. To play amateur psychologist, maybe it was simply Guisewite herself who never knew what she wanted to be. I haven't seen the strip for a while, but I remember Cathy still having boundary issues, not just with her mother but also with her in-laws. I suppose it's too much to hope that the strip's finale would show Cathy finally getting some self-esteem and telling everyone to back off.

Posted by: Carstonio | August 12, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Do you have the cajones to replace Cathy with "Doonesbury"? That strip is funny.

Posted by: fp6015 | August 12, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I can only hope Ms. Guiswite ends the strip by having Cathy go on a multi-state killing spree, starting with her husband and in-laws. She finally dies in a fiery shootout with law enforcement in the Sangre de Christo mountains of northern New Mexico. Or does she?!?!

Posted by: jhpurdy | August 12, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I've always thought it would be a good idea to cross "Cathy" with "Zippy the Pinhead." Imagine, Cathy the Pinhead is shopping at Tent City Swimsuits, and the lady with the pencil behind her ear is outside the changing room telling Cathy the suit she is trying on is "A perfect harmonization of form, fit, and function!"
In the next panel, Cathy steps out of the dressing room in a giant polka-dotted Mu-Mu and a bow in her hair, and says "Food, fat, disfunction?" She looks in the mirror, and yells "AAAK!" In the last panel, she runs off repeating "Food, fat, disfunction!"

Posted by: RogerGoldleader | August 12, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Thank God. This should've been pulled and dropped onto the last page of Reader's Digest aka a publication no one read's anyways.

two thumbs way down

Posted by: RogerEbert | August 12, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I liked Cathy because she wasn't as Feminist as the other comic about a woman in the Post. Kathy actually liked men. She would eye Irvine as he sat on her couch and ate chips and watched tv with a look that showed mild disdain but still appreciation. Cathy wasn't trying to prove something in life. She was simply trying to get by in our urban existence and not try to step on too many toes as she did it. She was admirable.

Posted by: steven7753 | August 12, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

It must be because after the papers all shrunk the comics size, it made Cathy look fat!

Posted by: blankspace | August 12, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Steven7753, feminism isn't about hatred of men. Feminism is about people of both genders being able to define who they are as individuals, instead of society defining genders as one of them being subservient to the other. My memory of the pre-marriage Cathy was that Irving was almost blase about refusing to treat Cathy as an equal but Cathy just seemed to accept it. Being true to one's self, which Cathy never did, isn't about "trying to prove something in life."

Posted by: Carstonio | August 12, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Thank goodness maybe we can make space for a new actually funny cartoon. Why do cartoonist have such trouble hanging it up? I'm talking to you Beetle Bailey, Family Circus. Why are we continuing to be tortured by these cartoons? There has to be new fresh cartoonists out there let's give them a try.

Posted by: lucl74 | August 12, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I say bring back Frank Cho and Liberty Meadows. That was by far the best comic to hit the Washington Post. Well drawn, good humor, was humble about it's roll in making the reader feel comfortable. Who's with me?

Posted by: RogerEbert | August 12, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I remember reading Cathy for the first time, as a nineteen year old man and thinking, "You know, there just aren't enough 'I'm too fat for this swimsuit jokes'." I could really relate. I especially related each of the 35,000 subsequent variations of that joke.

Why don't we have more mediocre and unfunny drivel on the comics page? You know what I love about the comics page? Reading a comic and almost smiling then completely forgetting a joke about some kid playing with his food. It's so true to life it almost makes me smile. A good strong belly laugh is for the birds. Give me wry almost-amusement slices of banality every time.

Cathy. We will miss your stupidity, your chunky thighs, your almost artistic renderings. What will spinster great aunts now read for their enjoyment?

This is the first sign of the apolcalypse. Hold me fellow comics readers and Cathy grievers... hold me... keep back the blackness that is encroaching.

Posted by: Fisk202 | August 12, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Donuts vs. bikinis for 34 years = Lame Popcult trophy winner.

Posted by: hanley12 | August 12, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Cathy was old and tired years ago. G'bye.

Pearls Before Swine? Stinkus majorus. Pastis is just waaay too full of himself. I refuse to join that cult. Draw a funny strip, then I'll appreciate it.

What's good? Doonesbury. Zits. Baby Blues. (Okay, I'm biased; I can relate to those.) And Brewster Rockit - now that's funny.

Posted by: ArmyBrat1 | August 12, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Sweet Jesus thank you. In the final series, Cathy concocts this wicked-perfect extortion scheme that frames both Irving and her mother and lands her on the coast of Mexico with 200 million bucks. She shacks up with Blondie, who finally kills Dagwood, and the two conspire to write the greatest novel and poem collection known to humankind.

Posted by: Meepo | August 12, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

The strip stayed on long past its creator wrote herself out, as if to balance Gary Larson and Bill Watterson, who quit long before that. The Post was wise to have dropped it.

Maybe if she came up with another idea and started a different strip. Cathy was good at one time

Posted by: GWGOLDB | August 12, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Maybe she can take Garfield with her. Funny once, but now, ugh ...

Posted by: huguenotklj | August 12, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Thank God again...

Posted by: theFieldMarshall | August 12, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Thank G_D. This strip stopped being funny long ago, if indeed it ever was. The most embarrassing thing I ever saw on late-night TV was Guisewite going on some talk show, Carson or whatever, years ago, and had nothing intelligent to say herself, so she quoted the cartoon character. How brain-dead do you have to be to rely on a stupid, unfunny fictional persona to replace your own stupid, unfunny persona?

@Meepo: I do like the idea of Cathy shacking up with Blondie, though.

@RogerEbert: You know that Frank Cho retired the strip himself a while ago. You can see archived strips at comics.com. I love it, too. Dean is the MAN! (er, I mean the pig...well, you know what I mean)

Posted by: bucinka8 | August 12, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Never was funny. Shows it's not what you know buy who you ____

Posted by: theFieldMarshall | August 12, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Never was funny. Shows it's not what you know but who you ____

Posted by: theFieldMarshall | August 12, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Never was any good. Shows it's not what you know but who you ____

Posted by: theFieldMarshall | August 12, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Thank goodness. 30+ years of that annoyance is quite enough!

Posted by: overhereontheleft | August 12, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

When it comes to Cartoons and Comics, we have had trends. Warner Bro.s originally styled Bugs Bunny, as a Vaudeville Song and Dance Man! At the Theaters, the adults grasped the full meaning, while the kids, soon to be the lucrative Boomers, enjoyed the animations!
It was then that Comics and cartoon began targeting the Children's markets!

What we have now, are relics from both of those eras, and grown up kids who still read cartoons! THIS has opened the door to Adult Level Strips!

THEY, need their own section!

Children do not need to be seeing my Favorites!-or, in the Case of the Loony Leftist Doonesbury, some of the other Adult level strips!

Which do I like?

My Moniker once was RAT-The(enough about Pearls!) ;~)
Non Sequitur;
Piranha Club;
Working Daze;
Dilbert;
Jeff Stahler's Strips;
Shoe;
Boondocks;
and occasionally Prickly City.

As well as Most Political Toons-EXCEPT the Revoltingly Leftist fossil Ben Sargent!

Any quick perusal of my Favs, and you might agree Kiddies don't need to be seeing them-LOL! Look how I am turning out! ;~)

Posted by: SAINT---The | August 12, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Comics still have not recovered from the loss of Calvin and Hobbes, and the Far Side. There are ones that are funny like Sherman's Lagoon, but you're not going to peel back the levels, the humor, and the relevance that Calvin brought. Cathy was a comic that became tired after a couple of weeks, and very soon, trite. Garfield can become tired, but it spoke to a simplicity that transcends cultures. I'm not going to hate, but really, Calvin? Far Side? Maybe Dilbert? It's a mediocre genre right now, and Cathy should have ended her run 15 years ago.

Posted by: NovaMike | August 12, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Anne Telnaes, anyone? Now, SHE is cutting, concise and her humor is as dark and on point as anyone I've ever seen before in the Sunday papers. Cathy needs to retire, hopefully for good. NO ZOMBIE CATHY!

Posted by: birdgirl39 | August 12, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I have read it every day but the jokes are the same and the print has gotten smaller to the point of it being barely readable. Get Fuzzy suffers from the same problem. It should be allowed to die a graceful death. Give Cathy's mom a gift retire her being pregnant. I read comments about Beetle Bailey but all that happens in that is Sarge beats up Beetle. He would have had life in the stockade by now.

Posted by: MARKHAGNER | August 12, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Homer Simpson's opinion:
I think it was the episode where his father is featured in a "Tuesday with Morrie" situation, where Abe is suddenly interesting to others. A perplexed Homer, sensing that everything in the world has changed, snatches open the paper to see if Cathy is now funny but quickly says "No."

Posted by: daughtht | August 12, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Jesus, if we dropped ALL the dead weight in the Post's micro-print edition, we'd be left with Watch Your Head, Pearls Before Swine, Lio, Big Nate, Close To Home, Candorville (sometimes) and Dilbert. Add Frazz (sometimes) from the Kiddies' page and Doonesbury from p. 2, and that's what, 9 strips out of 41? The bleeping Redskins do better than that. Cathy's been recycling the same jokes for over 30 years, but that only makes her a member in good standing of the Post's Comics Club.

And it's not just the fossil strips that are lamer than the Deadskins. Is ANY strip more tendentious than that new one about the imitation Mr. Burns and the homeless philosopher? That one makes Mutts' daily pleas for the whales and shelter dogs subtle by comparison.

What we really need to do is to get together and make Aaron Magruder an offer he can't refuse. AFAIC the day that The Boondocks went all-animation is the day that the Post comics section did a big fat croak. Watch Your Head is great, but it needs a backup punch.

Posted by: andym108 | August 12, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Cathy, Sarge from Beetle Bailey, Garfield, and Marmaduke should all enter a binge-eating contest and choke to death. Their strips should be cancelled, and then the comics pages would have a lot more space (literally!) for something better, such as "Cow and Boy", "My Cage", etc., etc. Even getting rid of only 2 or 3 of the never-funny-since-1965 zombie strips would free up enough room on the WaPo comics pages for "Frazz" and "Cul de Sac" to be featured properly instead of being exiled to the hinterlands. Ain't ever gonna happen, of course, and apparently no one in charge at WaPo will ever step forward to claim responsibility for that decision, much less attempt to justify it. (Just who at the top echelons of the editorial chain of command is such a big "Classic Peanuts" fan, anyway? I can think of no other reason for its appearing daily in the "regular" funnies instead of in "Kids' Post", where it would be read by the only audience that can't already cite every strip from memory.)

Posted by: seismic-2 | August 12, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

A reliable source says she has something very special planned for the final strip: It will be funny.

Posted by: Ralphinjersey | August 12, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Oswald on the Drew Carey show: " I finally get "Cathy"....she thinks she's fat".....

Posted by: jckdoors | August 12, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Considering that Cathy, even 20 years ago, only had about 5 punchlines that were continually recycled, I think its about time to put it to bed.

Why are there no good comic strip writers? Where are the Calvin and Hobbes types?

Posted by: overdrive_68 | August 12, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Another comic bites the dust? What a crappy future we live in. I hope it ends with Cathy pregnant.

Posted by: atherworld | August 12, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

She's fat, she spends money, and she is married to a stupid dolt. This is funny? It's a comic strip written by Theodore Dreiser.

Posted by: rusty3 | August 12, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

This announcement makes me sad. I szve the comics to read (and LAFF over) at bedtime so I never fall asleep without a giggle or two. I WILL MISS CATHY!!!

Posted by: DRFJR | August 12, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

To those of you (probably shallow twenty-somethings)who would scrap Peanuts, Blondie, Beetle Bailey, Hagar and a few others:

What you might be missing is the point that the characters in these strips are somehow endearing, unlike the neurotic Cathy, who should have been axed long ago. Who wouldn't want to spend some time with Dagwood. Imaging the fun. But even five minutes with that annoying, shallow, boy-crazy Cathy would cause me to throw myself from the nearest window.

Posted by: adrienne_najjar | August 12, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm in my 40s and I would scrape Blondie, Beetle Bailey and Hagar. Not because they're old but because they had already run dry when I was in my 20s. The sad part is that Family Circus, B.C. and Dennis the Menace had some bite when they first started. I read some old Dennis and B.C. books and was astounded by how these comics had atrophied. Good humor isn't about comfort - on some level it should challenge our thinking and our sensibilities.

Even though I was always a huge fan of Peanuts, I would also scrap "Classic Peanuts." Not just because it's taking space that could benefit a rising comic talent, but also because I'm repulsed by Schulz's syndicate exploiting his reputation for a quick buck.

Posted by: Carstonio | August 12, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Yawn. So passe. BTW People who write 500 word response essays to Post articles need to get a life.

Posted by: nvlheum | August 12, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

@huguenotklj wrote: "Comic strips today are as bad as TV channels. You might think that having more is better, but you'd be wrong." This speaks both to the difficulty in creating/sustaining a daily strip, and to the fact that no one should expect to enjoy every single strip published. There are many strips that I don't appreciate and never read, but I have no desire to take them away from those who do enjoy them.

As for Classic Peanuts, I read over and over in interviews of cartoonists that Charles Shultz was an inspiration. The body of the man's work is phenomenal, and the strip is considered to be one of the best ever. That makes it worth the continued exposure it receives.

Posted by: Mockingbird1 | August 12, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I don’t begrudge Cathy retirement. I just wish she would keep writing her comic strip and focus on the true, funny, and sad aspects of eldercare issues. She would bring more attention to eldercare and all the issues we Baby Boomer women face as we struggle to help our aging loved ones than all the other resources combined.

Posted by: AgeWiseLiving | August 17, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse