Posted at 9:00 AM ET, 09/26/2010

'NEXT GREAT CARTOONIST' ENDS: Check out the parting shot from today's 'Imogen Quest'

By Michael Cavna

IMQ0926.jpg

Today. as we come to the end of its monthlong run, here's the final "IMOGEN QUEST" comic from Olivia Walch, the 21-year-old winner of The Post's "America's Next Great Cartoonist Contest." So, what's the story behind today's comic?

If you have feedback about "Imogen Quest's" monthlong run in Style and on Comic Riffs, feel free to share your impressions.

By Michael Cavna  | September 26, 2010; 9:00 AM ET
Categories:  America's Next Great Cartoonist, The Comic Strip  | Tags:  America's Next Great Cartoonist Contest, Imogen Quest, Olivia Walch
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'NEXT GREAT CARTOONIST': The heavenly story behind today's 'IMOGEN QUEST'
Next: BOX OFFICE: 'Legend of the Guardians' debuts with disappointing $16.3M; 'Wall Street' wins weekend

Comments

Is this actually in today's paper? I didn't notice it in the Arena-centric Style section.

Posted by: Mrhode | September 26, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

It was stuck on page E12, but her final entry should have at least been in color. Otherwise, I thought it was great addition to the Post.

Posted by: stig1 | September 26, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I for one will miss Ms. Walch's witty, intelligent humor, and I hope that we see more work from her in the future. It's rare to see such intellectual humor that still does not take itself too seriously.

Posted by: cinefile | September 26, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Such a good run! Amazing work by a super talented cartoonist. Great call guys. SO GOOD.

Posted by: wallywickers | September 26, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I already miss Imogen Quest.

Posted by: Payohnee | September 26, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

It was so much better than so many of the other comics in the paper that I have assumed it would be picked up. Please don't take silence as apathy. She did really well.

Posted by: kevincostello | September 26, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

With the comics pages' being dominated by fossil strips such as "Beetle Bailey" and strips such as "Dennis the Menace" that are being produced (or simply re-cycled) by their second or third generation of writers and artists, and with the comic pages themselves shrinking along with daily newspapers in general, there are few opportunities for new talent to find a forum in which to be discovered and to develop. I therefore hope the Post will make this contest an annual event, to provide a much-needed opportunity for aspiring creators - and to provide a much-needed alternativef for comics readers who are weary of "Beetle Bailey" and "Dennis the Menace"!

Posted by: seismic-2 | September 26, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Great concept, excellent execution. Funny.

I'll miss Imogen Quest (and Olivia's take on things.)

Too bad she can't continue this, even just Sundays-)

This was a refreshingly fresh comic from a refreshingly fresh talent.

Good luck, Olivia! Hope to see your work again, soon.
Much appreciated-

(BTW_ if you would like to continue doing these at your own speed, post them on The Cartoonist Studio (.com). I'll look for them.)

Take care, kiddo!

Posted by: InkSlingerz | September 26, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Imogen Quest has been the highlight of my mornings for the past thirty days. I came to expect the guarantee of clever original ideas and drawings on Page 2 of the Style Section. This strip was truly refreshing and different from any of the other comics. There was no formula to fall back on. Each strip required and provided originality and the diversity of subjects addressed was extraordinary. Going forth, reading the Post will never be the same. We will miss you Olivia and the brightness you brought to each day.

Posted by: markiethemarkster | September 26, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

i'm with everybody here. i've been following imogen quest every day and i'll miss the offbeat, intellectual humor. i don't know what it takes to get syndicated these days, but i hope olivia will keep drawing strips and at the very least have a blog, facebook page, etc, where we can see them.

everyone agrees that newspapers full of boring, rehashed, old comic strips have left a huge void in the market. it's a full time job scouring the internet trying to find good new work like this.

Posted by: 01jeremy | September 26, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Made me laugh every single time!

Although her work will not be in the Post anymore, I hope to see it elsewhere to provide that fresh, funny, witty perspective that I love reading every day!

Posted by: lovecranberries | September 26, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Please keep this comic in the paper. We need more intellectual comics like this.

Posted by: vwburk | September 27, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Great stuff. Hope she continues cartooning.

Posted by: bupdaddy | September 27, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Great job Olivia. One person recommended posting to the Cartoonist Studio. That is a great suggestion. I have been posting my strip Just Say Cheese there and have gotten some GREAT responses. Plus the site is run by some pretty influential cartoonists.

Also, set you up a Facebook page. I am overwhelmed with the support I am seeing there. If you do, send me a link. I want to keep up with your strip.

Just don't take any time off whatever you do. Keep stripping and the world WILL watch... Wait, I did not mean it to sound quite like that...

Good luck!!!

Posted by: FugCheese | September 27, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Really enjoyed her comics. I looked forward to them every day as a breath of fresh air in the comic world. I agree with another poster that I'd rather see Olivia's work than some of the "oldtimers" I stopped reading long ago.

Posted by: smitch8887 | September 27, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

What do the bricks in the third panel spell?

Posted by: Rizzy | September 29, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse