Brrrr, It's Winter; Get Over It

I am reliably informed that it is cold outside. I have no independent confirmation of this but am prepared to accept that it is true. It sounds cold (bitter wind whistling through the eaves, cries of whimpering children headed to the bus stop, etc.). My newspaper (fetched, I'm happy to say, by My Lovely Wife) felt cold, having retained some of the vestigial chill it had adopted from being out in the front yard. My computer says it is cold outside.

So: cold. What a surprise. It's winter in Washington and it's cold. I hear it gets hot and humid in August too. Of course, it's easy for me to heap scorn upon those who think it newsworthy that it's cold; I haven't been outside yet. I'm about to head out there and I may change my tune the second that wind hits exposed skin. In fact, if I find the cold so disagreeable, I may call for extreme measures: a government bailout. Surely a few billion dollars could warm things up.

'Commons' Comments O' the Week
After my Tuesday item on whether people were capitalizing on inaugural fever by renting their houses, leaving town and spending their money on a quick getaway, mfromalexva wrote:

I'm definitely getting out of Dodge and heading for the sunshine, but, no plans for price gauging the rubes...but I wonder...could my utilitarian Cape be marketed as "a lovingly restored (hey the kitchen's pretty new) Martha's Vinyard style home for all seasons. Digital cable TV with lots of stations for change you can believe in"...yeah, thats the ticket.

After my Wednesday musings on the moral arithmetic I go through deciding where to buy gas, forget@menot.com had this to say:

Do I honestly think that I, alone, will make an impact in the profits of the megacompanies whose policies I find despicable? No, of course not. Unless I singlehandedly bankroll them and suddenly stop, this will not be the case. Might there be an impact if enough other people do the same? Quite possibly, especially if it's publicly known what it is we object to. (And actually, that's not a bad guideline, come to think of it -- "if everyone else did as I do, would things be better or worse?")

On Friday I confessed I hadn't finished (er, started) my Christmas shopping. Coleesma2 chimed in:

Every year I get a little comfort in knowing I'm not the only one doing the frantic, last minute shopping. Thanks for the company John and see you in the malls this weekend -- woo-hoo!!

I didn't get around to it this weekend. How late are stores open on Wednesday?

Where in Washington?
Recognize this area structure:

contestdec22.jpg

If you think you do, send your answer to kellyj@washpost.com. The first correct answer I receive receives the autograph of a Post Pulitzer winner, a perfect stocking stuffer.

By John Kelly  |  December 22, 2008; 9:00 AM ET
 | Tags: contest, weather
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ho, #@%&*!, Ho: The Christmas Death March
Next: The Envelopes Please: Build the Best Xmas Letter

Comments

Your wife fetched the newspaper? My God, John, step up and be a MAN! Go out there in the the frozen tundra and get the paper yourself! Just tip-toe past the polar bear and Arctic foxes and try not to peep into the igloo next door!

Posted by: justhere | December 22, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

So, John. Tell us. What was last week's postcard? And the winner?

DLD

Posted by: DLDx | December 22, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Oh man - yes it's cold in DC.

But it's colder out here in the Midwest. As in it was -12 when I took the dog out at 7 am this morning. It's now warmed up to -9. Shoveling the driveway with a -35 windchill yesterday was, to put it mildly, an experience...

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | December 22, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Bah, silly Southerners! It's not that bad outside in DC. I'd take this weather any day over the humidity of the summer in this area. That stuff makes me want to return home to the grand Pacific Northwest. Granted, the lack of snow here also makes me yearn to go home, especially since I know my home town is getting dumped on right now! Yeah white Christmas! The people around here are like the British who complain about the weather just to complain about something! Put on a pair of gloves and deal with it!

Posted by: akchild | December 22, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

it's never really COLD in DC, more like a pretend cold. brrrrrrr its 50 degrees!

Posted by: nall92 | December 22, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

That's the National Museum of Natural History (Mall side). My office used to be on the top floor right side.

tk

Posted by: tkavanag | December 22, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

tk - bad form dude (or dudette). John's instructions are to send an email. Assuming this is the correct answer (and I have no idea if it is) you have spoiled everyone's fun for the entire week!

Think then Submit.

DLD

Posted by: DLDx | December 22, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about that. I just finished a five hour drive up here to Boston from NJ.
(Traffic wasn't bad at all, and the wind din't start picking up until Worchester; over 18 inches of snow).

I had just sat down by a nice fire to read a new favorite chat and saw my old office.

I must have confused this with Weingarten's where he accepts (and refutes) on-line guesses in real time.

I'll be slower next time.

tk

Posted by: tkavanag | December 22, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm not John, but I can tell you that last week's postcard was the Custis-Lee Mansion.

Posted by: staxowax | December 22, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse