Do As They Say: Advice (and Dissent?)

The Post missed a nifty marketing opportunity today. We could have included a big grain of salt with each copy of the newspaper.

That's exactly what you should take with my column today. I asked readers to send in the advice they'd pass on to younger people and that's exactly what they did. I can't guarantee that the advice they gave -- and which I published -- will make you healthy, wealthy or wise. A lot of it is common sense. Some of it is oddly specific.

I received much more advice than I had room to print, so here's some more that readers sent in:

Always have a duplicate of the information in your address book. I lost my address book and I didn’t have a duplicate of phone numbers I needed.
Sandi Franklin

Out of every dollar, save a dime. As a "starving" college student, working numerous minimum-wage jobs, I told my dad I needed every penny. Wish I'd listened.
Karen Simmons

Live each day as though it's your last but plan financially to live to 100.
Carol O. Roberts
I have often heard my dad say, "If I had known I would live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" So I started thinking along those lines.
Natalie Shaw
Don't be surprised when one day you will get out of the shower in the morning and look at your body in the mirror and say 'That is not the same body I went to bed with last night!'
Sandy Patterson
This isn't exactly advice, but words of wisdom that I have found to be more and more true the older I get: "Just because it keeps your feet on the ground doesn't mean gravity is your friend."
Lisa Newmark
No matter what you do, you'll regret it.
Alexander Williams

How about you? Have any good advice to pass along? Or even better: What's the worst advice you ever received?

By John Kelly  |  March 23, 2009; 8:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: BritNews RoundUp: 'Run Away!' Edition
Next: Where in Washington?

Comments

Haven't heard about the reunin listing in the newspapers ? I thought it was great. But I don't prefer those emails to print just say where we find the website to get the details.

Posted by: marcy20046 | March 23, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Good advice: Wear earplugs!

Posted by: staxowax | March 23, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Do not assume that one day you will understand the opposite sex. You never will!

Posted by: Slinger61 | March 23, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

In relationships, do not play the game I call: "Things will be better when...(you are married; you have a child; you get a house; you get that advanced degree; etc.)".
If you are not content now, delayed gratification will most likely not help. Maturity might, but don't bet on it.

Posted by: Slinger61 | March 23, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Wow, where do i begin?

if you meet a guy carrying a duffel bag run for the hills

don't over analyze

speak up when you see wrong

treat others as you want to be treated

helping a stranger really does make you feel good

i'll probably have more

Posted by: nall92 | March 23, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

You can't be sure you love someone until you know their flaws. When you first go crazy over someone, you think they're perfect. Later, when you realize that they slurp their soup and snore like a rutting moose, either you dump them or you realize that you love them anyway. (And if they feel the same way about you, you're in luck.)

Posted by: Rhea1 | March 23, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Think before you blurt.

e.g. learn to "filter" what you say. Do not just blurt out whatever comes to mind. You can save you and everyone around you a bit of grief by thinking a tad before saying something.

Posted by: DadWannaBe | March 23, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Never say, "My children will never..." They will make you eat your words.

If, at all possible, have more than one child. You will quickly learn that this parenting thing has little to do with you. You mold what you get.

And

If you don't want your children to do something, don't teach them how to do it. (Head butting comes to mind.)

Posted by: Voice6104 | March 24, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse