Tropical Blast

On many a day I walk past Silver Spring's Tropical Lagoon. The aquarium supply store seemed like the perfect place to spend a few snowy hours yesterday.

You may have noticed that a lot of people who like one sort of animal like a bunch of different animals. Tropical Lagoon owner Steve Maletzky certainly falls in that category. He may have started with fish, but his shop is a bit of a pet store, though only the fish are for sale.

All sorts of critters squawk and purr. There are two cats, including Tara:

tropcat.jpg

And a tortoise named Tank, who "winters" in the store:

troptank.jpg

The newest -- and possibly cutest -- addition is Layla, a miniature Australian shepherd puppy:

tropdog.jpg

Look at that cute little face. I think we need a caption. What's yours?

By John Kelly  |  March 3, 2009; 7:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Where in Washington?
Next: Stops, Lies and Videotape: That P.G. Traffic Stop

Comments

How about "Please help me find my miniature Australian sheep."

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 3, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

"That cat needs Slimfast"

Posted by: justhere | March 3, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I like those. And someone should really be breeding miniature Australian sheep. You could put them in a terrarium with your dog.

Posted by: JohnFKelly | March 3, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I like the cats. They're so inured to people; unlike my own scare-dy cats. And it is toasty in there for the fish's sake. Your glasses probably fogged up going down the stairs; mine always do.

caption: "I got you on your knees"

Posted by: prokaryote | March 3, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

"Don't it turn your brown eyes....Don't it turn your brown eyes...............BLUE!"

Posted by: iremembrmama | March 3, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I need a nap!

Posted by: MILW | March 3, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Can't think of a good caption because all I'm thinking about is how can I hijack that puppy, so adorable!!! Tropical is such a fun store to go to, the people working there are just as quirky and fun as the pets....

Posted by: sunshine007 | March 4, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm a regular at TL, great people. Easy going. I took my kids over the weekend thinking they'd like to see fish, and all they can talk about is that puppy. Cutest little gal around.

Posted by: dsheon1 | March 5, 2009 6:44 AM | Report abuse