A Jogging Tour: The Aggie Files, Part 2

bryanttank.jpg

The water tower, I've decided, is the defining feature of the Texas landscape -- at least, this Texas landscape. I suppose if I drove out into the countryside I might see oil derricks or some other vertical structure, but around here the things that catch my eye are the water towers, sticking up like monuments from the flat landscape.

I'm staying in Bryan, which has the water tank pictured above. In nearby College Station, Texas A&M has its own signature water tower:

bryantaggie.jpg

A jogging tour this morning around Bryant revealed all sorts of things. The hunting supply store, crowned with a mega-trophy:

bryantmoose.jpg

This lovely bit of folk art on a mechanic's shop:

bryantcars.jpg

Yosemite Sam, hanging cars up to dry.

Texans are very proud of their flag, and rightly so. It's so much more striking than those of many states:

bryantflags.jpg

I'm sort of an aficionado of funny business names and was happy to find a few just a short jog from my B&B. There was this great hair salon:

bryanthair.jpg

And there was this inscrutable establishment:
bryantback.jpg

Washington, D.C., is the national center of so many associations that I was surprised to see one here. And what is the American Backflow Prevention Association, anyway? Well, it's a group devoted to keeping drinking water from getting mixed up with nastier water. They even have a mascot, Buster Backflow. Download your comic book today.

By John Kelly  |  April 21, 2009; 10:30 AM ET
Categories:  Aggie Files
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Where in Washington?
Next: Muster's Last Stand: The Aggie Files, Part 3

Comments

Water tower, windmill, grain elevator, and a batch of trees. Towns throughout the plains.

Posted by: wiredog | April 21, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

John, I missed the reason for your trip, but hope you'll have a chance to attend the Aggie Muster tonight on campus. I've been told it's an incredible experience. Unfortunately, there'll be a lot of names to be called tonight ...

Posted by: angelsweb | April 21, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Tells about texas barbeque and coeds with pixs of both!!!

Posted by: sheepherder | April 21, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

John, be sure and go to the Aggie Muster tonight. You will have something inspiring to write about.

bill

Posted by: billteer | April 21, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Just don't park your car in the abandoned Albertson's parking lot on the northside of campus. They have cameras and will tow your car in like two minutes if you leave it. $150 in tow and storage plus $30 in cab fare to the north side of town. You think DC's self correcting parking meters are bad --- that's dumb bureaucracy, but this is just plain mean spirited profiteering. I mean it's an abandoned supermarket for God's sake.

P.S. the burgers at the Dixie Chicken are pretty dang good

Posted by: shepDC | April 21, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

John, I hope you took your passport with you. You'll need it to get back into the U.S. in case Texas secedes while you're down there.

Posted by: CynicalSteve | April 21, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse