What is wrong with Joe Miller?

Some journalists and bloggers have been stalking the Alaska Republican Senate nominee to see whether he's receiving military disability benefits, and, if so, for what. The court-ordered release of documents from his last workplace, the Fairbanks North Star Borough local government, only deepens the mystery. The judge had medical information redacted, causing the documents -- a series of 2009 e-mails released late Tuesday -- to read like a Mad Libs exercise. (We encourage readers to fill in the blanks in the comments section of this post.)

Writes Miller to a colleague in an e-mail:

I'm scheduled for _______ in Anchorage on Monday, _______ is Thursday in Anchorage. I don't know what the recovery time is and won't know until after my _______ on Thursday. Apparently, the _______________my _______.

Miller also writes:

"Although the ______ is serious, it's my understanding that this type of _____ does not have an extensive recovery period."

And then this:

"Again, although the reason for the leave was for my ______ (completed), ______ (completed), and ______ (canceled but being rescheduled locally), it was submitted as personal leave."

And this:

"I canceled my _____ with VA in Anchorage yesterday and am now trying to reschedule with Wade."

A supervisor writes to Miller:

"You cannot obtain leave on the basis that you need _____ immediately and keep the leave when that circumstance changes significantly."

One colleague writes to another colleague:

"The message Diane got from the doctor sounds like Joe cancelled the ______, not the doctor. It was phrased something like. . . . I just wanted to let you know that Joe Miller cancelled his _____ scheduled for today."

Another e-mail between colleagues says:

"If he cancelled it then I can only conclude that his earlier representation essentially that it was _________ because the problem was ________ is bogus."

Whatever the blank was wrong with Miller, his colleagues seemed to agree that he was under a great deal of pressure and was not to be trusted. In various e-mails and other documents from 2008 and 2009, related to Miller's leave-taking and his use of colleagues' computers for political purposes (which he then covered up), they make the following observations:

"This behavior is bizarre."

"We did disable his key card access on Friday, and are submitting a request to change the door code for our department."

"It has been apparent in the last several months that you are under significant stress and it has affected your judgment."

"I expect that you will work hard to rebuild the co-worker relationships that were harmed due to your actions."

"While on administrative leave, you are not to enter the workplace area for any purpose. . .."

"I had everyone change their computer passwords."

"I was just really mad at him and confused by his behavior."

"My blood is boiling at his continued misrepresentations here."

"I think that further conversation with him is unwise at this point, and that we should just document the events for his file."

It sounds, in other words, as if he'll fit in perfectly in the U.S. Senate.

By Dana Milbank  | October 27, 2010; 2:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rand Paul supporter asks for apology from woman he stomped? An apology guide
Next: Charlie Chaplin Cell Phone Woman is the worst time traveler ever

Comments

Why bother covering stories for which there are facts when you can have so much fun with innuendo?

Posted by: Wiggan | October 27, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Compost.

What an apropos name for pretty much anything Dana Milbank writes.

Posted by: etpietro | October 27, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Just rebrand Republicans and market a big package.

Man up, hunker down, shift sideways. Mad Hatter's Tea Party is mercurial.

Grand Old Party ain't sober.

Posted by: Uoughtano | October 27, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Too, bad your idiot prez won't even reveal his kindergarden grades.

Posted by: licavolisr | October 27, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Joe "The Liar" Miller will be a great fit for the Senate. Welcome to the club, old boy!

Posted by: rcupps | October 27, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

So far everyone Sara Palin has supported (except maybe one) from O'Donnell to Miller are all just like her...crazy.

Posted by: callosumlink | October 27, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Now that's what I call an "exemplary" employment record, "second to none." They were obviously worried this guy was gonna show up with a gun. Well done, Joe!

Posted by: nyskinsdiehard | October 27, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm scheduled for brain replacement in Anchorage on Monday, head reattachment is Thursday in Anchorage. I don't know what the recovery time is and won't know until after my proctoscopic exam on Thursday. Apparently, the brain is lodged somewhere up my blank.

Posted by: hlabadie | October 27, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Writes Miller to a colleague in an e-mail:
I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy in Anchorage on Monday, the enema is Thursday in Anchorage. I don't know what the recovery time is and won't know until after my first potty break on Thursday. Apparently, the head of Sarah Palin is really shoved way up my… colon.
Miller also writes:
"Although the impaction is serious, it's my understanding that this type of evacuation does not have an extensive recovery period."
And then this:
"Again, although the reason for the leave was for my intestinal problems (completed), my psychological problems (completed), and that thing with my right hand (canceled but being rescheduled locally), it was submitted as personal leave."
And this:
"I canceled my colonoscopy with VA in Anchorage yesterday and am now trying to reschedule with Wade."
A supervisor writes to Miller:
"You cannot obtain leave on the basis that you need a high-colonic immediately and keep the leave when that circumstance changes significantly."
One colleague writes to another colleague:
"The message Diane got from the doctor sounds like Joe cancelled the enema, not the doctor. It was phrased something like. . . . I just wanted to let you know that Joe Miller cancelled his “colon cleaning” scheduled for today."
Another e-mail between colleagues says:
"If he cancelled it then I can only conclude that his earlier representation essentially that it was an emergency because the problem was noticed by Todd is bogus."

Posted by: Observer001 | October 27, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

What a dangerous liar. I wouldn't let this creep clean my bathrooms, let alone run for US Senate.

Posted by: ExConservative | October 27, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

I think Joe Miller is a creep, but this column is just stupid (and not funny). It figures Milbank and Petri are behind it. They're too juvenile for Mad Magazine, but just about right for the Post.

Posted by: hellslittlestangel1 | October 27, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

This guy also has a high opinion of East Germany, and feels that reporters can be detained without reason by personal bodyguards. Small wonder that he doesnt work well with others to the point of causing fear that he is about to go postal.

Posted by: Mac27 | October 27, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Yow! Sounds like Miller cancelled a work-mandated mental health appointment and the doctor called Diane to let her know. Canceled his key card, changed the door code? Double yikes!

The election campaigns seem long. However, if the GOP is not going to vet its nominees, we seem to need more than the time allotted to get to the whole truth.

Posted by: cassandra9 | October 27, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Looks like some serious sense-of-humour failures from a number of Repub partisans. The whole point is that Joe Miller's candidacy is a joke, and yet deadly serious because of the possibility that he may actually be elected. Gallows humour is needed when if you don't laugh you will cry ...

Posted by: stantheman1 | October 27, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

It would appear that the poll numbers are showing the results of Miller's dishonesty. If they are accurate, I have a lot more faith in the people of Alaska, even if they did elect the Bozo, Sarah!

Posted by: Havalina39 | October 28, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse