Posted at 9:48 AM ET, 11/23/2010

Can Palin win? Is that halibut she clubbed completely deceased?

By Alexandra Petri

So, can she win?

sarahpalinbook.jpg

I think the real question of whether Sarah Palin can win comes down to whether it is a greater hassle to vote for Dancing With The Stars or to vote in real life. In real life, voting requires you to drive places, read things, and stand in line behind large, smelly people, whereas voting for Dancing With The Stars requires you to watch Dancing With The Stars. To me, these seem evenly matched, but what do I know? I have just watched another episode of Sarah Palin's Alaska, and (correlation does not imply causation) developed a series of bizarre flu-like symptoms.

(Harper Collins via AP)

Still, viewed as an electability audition, Palin's series is not going particularly well. Nearly every moment of the second episode's Commercial Halibut Fishing Trip was -- to any other politician, a career-ending photo-bomb. Here's Sarah Palin clubbing a fish to death. Here's Sarah Palin encouraging Bristol to club a fish to death. Here's Sarah Palin playfully elbowing a "Professional Fish-Petter" in the ribs, clearly sensing that this is some sort of double entendre but not quite clear on what it might mean. Here's Sarah Palin holding the still-beating heart of a deceased halibut.

All Palin's attempted banter is unabashedly awkward. She tells her kayak guide, "Eric, you look like Jesus. We're in good hands," only to provoke the withering deadpan response, "I've heard that before." She waxes profound about life, noting that it's nice to be outdoors, away from "those things that are kind of on the periphery of our lives that seem to consume it." This could mean anything! Plato, in his dialogue Theaetetus, likens the process of hitting upon an idea to a hunter seeking a fluttering knowledge bird who sometimes happens to seize upon a fluttering ignorance bird instead. This is similar to what I imagine the process of coming up with a Palin speech or tweet is. Sarah Palin knows a lot of four-syllable words! More than the dictionary knows, sometimes.

So far, she's gotten a 5 million-strong audience, a rally full of people on the Mall, a book that everyone's buzzing about, and more Twitter followers than you can shake a stick at -- at least more than I have. She actually seems to be hunting for campaign real estate in Iowa. Palin 2012? It's happening!

But this is where I stop making snide remarks and start legitimately worrying. I have to ask: America, is this a bluff?

It's okay if it is. It's fine. I'll be relieved. You know how, when you really want a puppy, you begin by asking for a wildebeest? Your mother gets nervous as you bring home book after book on Wildebeest Care and Feeding and Heather Has Two Wildebeests and Are You There God, It's Me, Wildebeest. You build a miniature wildebeest habitat in the backyard. You make powerpoint presentation after powerpoint presentation insisting that this is what the family needs. "How about a puppy?" your parents plead. "Sure!" you say.

Or when you want a car, you start by saying you're going to tattoo Richard Nixon's face over every exposed inch of your body? Or when you want to explain that you're living with your boyfriend outside of wedlock, you start by saying that you're moving to Appalachia with an itinerant flute player.

America, is this your way of saying you'd like to elect Mitt Romney?

Sure, we gave him grief last time for being a Mormon, in Massachusetts, named Mitt. But we won't this time! If this is what you want, I'm cool with it. Wait, TLC, is this why "Sister Wives" is on right after "Sarah Palin's Alaska"? Is that the subliminal message? Because I get that.

Now that Sarah and Bristol are both dominating the airwaves, all sorts of pundits are cackling that this is all a publicity stunt and that the Palin run can't be for real. But I'm not so sure. Besides the fact that PAC Palin sounds like a classic Palin-child name, I am no longer capable of telling when Sarah is joking. Has she ever been? Has she always been? Aerial wolf-hunting?

Frank Rich made an interesting point in the New York Times this weekend, observing that Sarah Palin's success, well, defies conventional wisdom. This is the polite, Frank-Richian way of saying, "If Sarah Palin were any other politician in the world, her career would be dead in the water, but, somehow, it isn't!" A better way of phrasing this might be: "Does anyone know where the off-switch is?"

We were so excited to get her out of the box at the Republican National Convention in 2008 that we didn't bother reading the manual. If we'd noticed the line that said "Feeds on negative media attention" or the other line that said "Sarah Palin is the Pandora's Box of politics -- once unleashed, even Hope flies out," would we have stopped? Did Pandora?

But more to the point, I'm not sure what America is really thinking. We certainly Google her a lot -- not that this is an indication of thought -- six times more than any of the other potential Republican 2012 candidates combined! True, she's only viewed favorably by 48 percent of the country -- but then again, that's about the same as President Obama! Then again, we Google Justin Bieber more, and that doesn't mean we will vote for him.

America, is this really what you want? Be serious. You want someone running the country whose main claim to fame is that she is an anti-elite, one-of-us, real gal? Do you realize how incompetent we are? Look me in the eyes. I would be happy to get you a pony. Or that wildebeest we mentioned earlier.

But anyone who says this Palin run in 2012 is absurd and she's just doing it for publicity, well, think again. This is not the sort of tide that can easily be stemmed. Sarah is an unstoppable force! She clubbed a halibut to death! Sure, the fish thrashed around for a bit, but it succumbed eventually.

By Alexandra Petri  | November 23, 2010; 9:48 AM ET
Categories:  Petri, Reality? Television  | Tags:  Sarah Palin, dancing with the stars, dead fish
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Most dangerous cities in America? St. Louis, here I come!
Next: Thanksgiving Word Search game -- reality edition

Comments

I don't think Sarah will run. The biggest indicator is lack of family approval. Sarah said she's "discussing the matter with the most important people in her life - her family", BUT when discussing resignation as AK governor, the answer was an immediate and resounding YES!! (Quote: "Want me to make a positive difference and fight for ALL our children's future from OUTSIDE the Governor's office?" It was four "yes's" and one "hell yeah!" The "hell yeah" sealed it"). If her family approved, or was even "okay" with Sarah running for president, we'd know it by now - though Sarah would continue to "weigh her decision" (holding out this carrot keeps the spotlight shining...). Bottom line, is Sarah will do what Sarah wants to do, but it would be extremely selfish to give up what she's achieved and put herself/her family through "Governor stress raised to the second power". If she goes for it, she may want a family size prescription for Xanax. She can gracefully bow out by saying "I've decided I can accomplish more for America from outside the confines of public office", and I think she will - the question is will it happen before or after a meltdown.

I hope Mitch Daniels runs. He turned Indiana's $600M deficit into a $300M surplus within a year during his first term - changes weren't popular with everyone (good ones never are), but he worked with others, turned the state around, and easily won a second term.

Posted by: chris76543 | November 23, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Well, having grown up in D.C., and now living in Texas for the past 2 decades, I can kind of get what you are saying here.

I honestly don't think that the Republican and Democratic parties are any longer relative to a specific political view.

Instead, the parties have become the magnetic poles for the type of persons that form a great majority of our citizens.

On the one hand, folks that are inclined to be Republicans believe in a motion picture vision of America; always the good guy, always resourceful, and ready to preform an emergency appendectomy with their key chain. Their vision of America is similar to that of a religion. Some one like Sarah Palin appeals greatly to these folks, because she's telling those "lamestream" media folks where to stick it. She has cultivated the persona of a take no guff, non politically correct person.

People that tend to call themselves Democrats see the country through a more day-to-day, getting things done perspective. Charisma matters, but is not all important (see - Dukakis, Michael; Gore, Al and Kerry, John) Democrats want some specifics as to what their representative will do; it's not enough to give a great stump speech. They want to know what a candidate is going to do to fix our country.

Republicans like to identify with the candidate (How many times did we hear, during the 2004 campaign, that the American people wanted to have a beer with President Bush? That must have been one huge party when it happened)

Democrats are more likely to vote for a candidate based on what they think he will do; they pretty much DON'T want someone that they want to hang out with as their president. They want someone who's spent their time looking at the problems of the country, and who has some idea of how to fix those problems.

So, Sarah Palin appeals to a lot of folks in this country, because a fair number of people really could give a damn about what the person will do in office; they just want someone who embodies what they see our country as.

The beautiful thing, to me, about the Tea Partiers (and what they've taught me) is that somewhere around 36 minutes after President Obama was elected, a certain segment of our population went completely insane (Socialism, really?) I wonder why these Tea Party folks feel like they have to "take our country" back? These people must really think our country is weak; because apparently President Obama has stolen their country from them.

But - it makes me less concerned about the possibility of a President Palin, because, you know what? Our country is stronger than any one person.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 23, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

The most revealing statement in Petri's opinion is not about Palin, it is his simple sentence: Do you (the U.S.) realize how incompetent we have become? The Age of 'Atlas Shrugged' is upon us.

Posted by: OneTao | November 23, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I think that should read: "unstoppable farce".

Posted by: egc52556 | November 23, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jjlj | November 23, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

“Sarah Palin Sells Her TSA Scanner Images For 2 Trillion”

According to your link, Sarah Palin likes to tell people that she had her baby shower at a shooting range ”because it gets the liberals all wee-wee’d up.” I bet you went through a whole box of Depends watching her Alaska show.

And that picture of Sarah Palin with the TSA agent’s hand up her skirt that I emailed you actually contained the Palin.worm virus… and you took the bait. You’re dumber than a Halibut if you fall for fake photos like that.

Not feeling good? It’s not the flu. Palin.worm is set to erase your hard drive when it detects another column about Sarah Palin. You might say your computer will end up all wee-wee’d up too.

And for heaven’s sake, don’t fall for the TSA.trojan virus. It may look like Brad Pitt in the shower, but it’s not safe. Don’t let it grope your computer.

Posted by: divtune | November 23, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I think America is teasing Palin more than us. The day she announces, as I think she will do, is the day her popularity will peak. It will all be downhill from there. I doubt she will even get the Republican nomination, but if she does she will be crushed in the general.

Posted by: jonawebb | November 23, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Here's an idea: How about if the "lamestream" media Palin so despises declares a 30-day moratorium on publishing and/or uttering her name or that of anyone in her family. Just let Fox and TLC carry her water for one month. Just one month. No columns, no editorials, no "news" about her latest tweets or Facebook ramblings; complete silence. Think of it as detox, or a holiday gift to the discerning.

Posted by: Runeer1987 | November 23, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

JohnDinHouston wrote:

The most intelligent comment ever seen under the ComPost.

Thanks. Hope you write more.

Posted by: divtune | November 23, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

It is sad in our current political climate and culture that someone as ill-informed, under educated (and proud of it), as well as seemingly prejudiced (her rant about Mrs. Obama) could really even CONSIDER herself a serious candidate for President...just imagine how we would appear around the world with this woman as leader?

Posted by: fairness3 | November 23, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

The teaser to open this was: "Is Palin Unstoppable?"

Well as a former Marine I can tell you that a 7.62 mm full-metal jacket would stop her. And should.

Posted by: democratus | November 23, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Palin now epitomizes the ignorant elite. Attack after attack directed at every one who does not agree in any way with her. From specific political to specific media individuals including Republicans. She alone with her scorch and burn political approach will cause irreparable damage to the GOP if not our country.

It is obvious that she feels this is her one moment in time and is making all she can of it. As she said "I could not afford being Governor of Alaska". She has figured out a way to make MILLIONS from Book Tours to Guest Speaking even though she has the same thing to say over and over. As for her books, who is the ghost writer??? Sarah has problems writing an essay let alone a book.

A pox on McCain for letting this idiot genie out of the bottle!

Posted by: beachbum1938 | November 23, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Hurricanes and tornadoes are "unstoppable forces" too... Does that make them good for America?

Posted by: demtse | November 23, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: demtse | November 23, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow - where did this come from?
"Well Petri, you should invest in a tire re-tread company. Your next blog post isn’t too hard to predict: “Sarah Palin Sells Her TSA Scanner Images For 2 Trillion”

"invest in a tire re-tread company" relates to the wet-dream of someone who may have attended "The Sarah Palin School of Incoherent Word Salads"? I thought so ... some guys back her because of the good looks. They can't handle some black guy winning the White House from The Maverick and the MILF.

Posted by: chris76543 | November 23, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Palin is better than the guy in there now.

Heading in the right direction is ALWAYS better than going the WRONG WAY no matter how many lovely speeches happen as you're getting farther and farther from your goal.

Libs will be responsible for Palin becoming President.

Libs elected the least experienced person ever to be President.
Libs elected the most liberal Senator.
Libs elected the guy who made their hearts go pitter patter.
Libs elected the President that put an end to the test of being the Leader of the Free World.
Ask Obama to define the "free world." I bet he can't.
Does anyone see the countries Obama is leading?
19 countries told him to get lost at the recent G-20 summit.
No one is going to fall for the concept of the next election being about leadership of the free world.
The next election will be about the direction America takes. Continue where Obama leads or not.
So, now conservatives are free to vote for someone we think will lead America in the right direction.
We're not going to vote for someone just because he's acceptable to Libs.
And yes, the ability to hit a big fish on a boat bouncing in the rough waters off Alaska with a club is a trait I want in my President.
For too long we've dissed skills that help put food on the table. That's just led to the IVY LEAGUE and WALL STREET running the country - "ELITE and ELITER." Where has changing from one IVY President to another IVY President for Over 20 years gotten us?
That's going to end now. If it doesn't, this country won't be able to recover.

Posted by: jfv123 | November 23, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Runeer1987 | November 23, 2010 1:16 PM wrote:

=====
Dear Runeer1987,

Good idea! But it won't work, as Ms. Petri explained in this column:
======
"If you ignored her," people always say of Sarah Palin, "she would go away."

Well, maybe. But if she keeps saying things like this, I wouldn't hold my breath. I have a lot of willpower. Not to boast, but if I had been hanging out with Adam back in the garden days, we might not be in the predicament we're in. But if God had informed me that I could eat absolutely any fruit I wanted as long as I refrained from talking about Sarah Palin -- I don't think I could have held out.

Posted by: divtune | November 23, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"Palin.worm is set to erase your hard drive when it detects another column about Sarah Palin."

Posted by: chris76543 | November 23, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

If you need to read an opinion column in the Washington Post to understand what Sarah Palin's TV show is about, then (1) you do not get it, and (2) you are part of the problem.

Posted by: jfgrcar | November 23, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Unstoppable force like a tsunami. Death and destruction follows.

Posted by: apocrypha | November 23, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Michelle Obama said the line about being "Proud of my country..", TWICE.
Once, she added the word "really" before "proud".
The other time (and I have heard it on video), she just said "For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country".
Now, I know you media types like to use the quote with "really" in it, as it helps your unceasing attempts to promote this President..
But at least a little bit of journalistic integrity, on occasion, please??

Posted by: johnL1 | November 23, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

RNC MAKES OBAMA'S BIRTH CERTIFICATE A CAMPAIGN ISSUE FOR 2012 RACE? ACCORDING TO AN EXPERT OBAMA DOES NOT HAVE A LONG FORM BIRTH CERTIFICATE NOW OR EVER? NANCY PALOSI AND HARRY REID BOTH CONSPIRED TO BETRAY THE AMERICAN PUBLIC IN FALSELY SAYING OBAMA WAS A CITIZEN IN THE 2008 RACE? FRAUD? TREASON? CONSPIRACY?

Posted by: Richie5 | November 23, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jjlj
___________________________________________

Really? Is that the sole criteria upon which to elect a President; they make the opposing party mad? If that is so, why not elect Andrew Dice Clay or Howard Stern? They make LOTS of people mad.

The typical reasoning of a Palin supporter. She makes liberals mad; she did not attend an Ivy League school; she's an average person like the majority; she's attractive, Christian, conservative; real experience.

The thing is, she is cheerfully ignorant and intellectually incurious. For a tough frontier person, she cannot even handle a Katie Couric interview and now will not speak to anyone but Fox or celebrity groupies like Oprah Winfrey or Barbara Walters. Every one of her claims has been debunked yet she keeps making same said discredited claims. She blasts the cult of self esteem yet cannot get the irony that both she and her daughter Bristol are the poster children for said cult. Her daughter has been given repeated rare instances of hard truth telling via low judges' scores on Dancing w/The Stars; she SUCKS! Yet, she remains on because pro-Palin blogs such as C4P tell supporters to vote for Bristol and I can imagine her PAC and various networks also engage in this as well. If Bristol wins, it will not be on merit but because Mommy helped win it for her.

Palin cannot stand truth telling either. Every fact check and discreditation of her claims is a "lamestream media" (how chilidish)or evil educated egghedead elite conspiracy. She never takes responsibility for her own incuriosity and ignorance; always someone else's fault: the media; McCain campaign; the Democrats; Obama. When even Republicans criticize her, they are out of touch party elites. Never that there is a common theme in it all: her lack of interest in issues and policy and educating herself about the nation and the world.

If by chance she wins the popular vote, I hope that it is nullified by the Electoral College. This nation cannot be allowed to go down the tubes because of the ignorance and irresponsibility of the rubes.

Posted by: Handsome19781 | November 23, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I will take Runeer1987 advice. This will be the last item I peruse about Alaska's village
scholar.

Posted by: captainhookaustin | November 23, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

jfv123, I didn't want to believe you, but your artful use of ALL CAPS to make points seem MORE CORRECT by EMBIGGENING them is very effective.

Sarah Palin has been a tireless public servant for years in the state of Alaska, enjoying many successes and a few HORRIBLE FAILURES. She is the proud mother of a happy family which was drawn closer together by the UNEXPECTED PREGNANCY of her UNWED DAUGHTER. She enjoyed over 80% approval ratings as governor before RESIGNING ABRUPTLY from office halfway through her term as a result of allegations of WIDESPREAD ABUSE OF POWER. Now she tours the country in a PRIVATE JET talking to regular folks about how she's regular folks, right before CASHING HER CHECK which I believe is a standard $50,000 per appearance. That kind of money means she has a lot of appeal, but so did CHAIRMAN MAO. Her daughter is now independently famous for performing well on a televised dance competition, while her other daughter defends her family's honor by THROWING AROUND SLURS at her "friends" on the internet.

Libtards are shaking in their boots that she might be elected, because she would then have the ability to START A GLOBAL NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST, have circles run around her by CORPORATE INTERESTS, and embarrass the USA regularly by being IGNORANT of international issues, domestic issues, tax issues, free trade issues, constitutional rights issues, to the point that for all we know she might endorse MANDATORY KITTEN-STRANGLING as a form of school prayer.

Posted by: purpledrank | November 23, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Who are the 10% in this poll, I can't beleive the mispelled FOX.com and somehow got Washingtonpost.com or maybe the poll should have been; yes,no,independent not undecided.

Posted by: J1107 | November 23, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Ms. Petri (dish),

You are so typical of the liberal, Politically Correct crowd; you can't fathom a woman doing a man's job although your feminist leanings say a woman can do a man's job. "stunning" a fish is part of the job, and true to form, Mrs. Palin isn't afraid of the demands.

So unlike the many young women who take on men's jobs like police, firefighters, construction, and combat, and demand that the rules be changed to accommodate them.

Mrs. Palin went out on a limb in her demonsntration of what fleet fishermen do every day.

And true to form in the drive-by media, you take it and make a political statement.

Just remember, the old GOP farts also are against Mrs. Palin and the younger GOP generation. They are just as guilty as the Post and NY Times in badmouthing and harassing the Palins.

I guess you're in good company! Ha ha ha we will have the last laugh in 2012.

Posted by: ImNotaWitch | November 23, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Whether or not she's unstoppable is debatable. But she sure has played her favorite whipping boy, the lamestream MSM, to her advantage. It seems the MSM are addicted to $arah Palin.

Posted by: lddoyle2002 | November 23, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Unstoppable is accurate. Sarah Palin stands for several strightforward ideas--lower taxes, no gay marriage, no abortion, guns, small government, no illegal immigrants, and "the constitution", etc. Every single Tea Party person stands for the same exact things with no variation whatsoever. There would not be one Tea Partier who would say, "I agree with her on this issue, but not that one." Palin has given them the power and the public voice to publicly taunt and thumb their noses at "liberals". 100% of the Tea Party is behind her 100%. Energized, 100% of them will get out and vote the exact way she dictates. Not one will sit at home.

Democrats have their own ideas and philosophies that they love to discuss and fine tune. Unlike the Tea Party people, they agree with one candidate on one thing and see a competitor's point on another. Some, just to show their independence, will vote for a Republican or Green Party candidate. Some get disillusioned over a candidate not living up to their ideals and don't vote at all.

In the case of Bristol Palin, Democrats would really take a look at her dancing. Some would educate themselves on ballroom dancing and vote for someone else. Others would vote for Bristol as an underdog. Some would refuse to watch or vote.

So, unlike Democrats, Sarah Palin can count on every one of her enthusiastic supporters unconditionally. No wonder she has so much energy!

Posted by: foxtrot1 | November 23, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

...hey, let's just listen to Palin and the failed GOP, and go back to cut taxes / cut govt that we tried for the 3 decades of the Reagan/Bush era. In fact, let's get ANOTHER big tax cut to the wealthiest as we did in 1981 and 2001.

I mean, that worked SO well to deliver Trickle Down prosperity. Almost nobody is unemployed now. And the banks and oil drillers and health insurers, heck - they POLICED THEMSELVES!!! Get government out of the WAY by golly!

Abe Lincoln would have said;
"You can fool some of the people, ALL of the time"... ;^)

- Balkingpoints / www

Posted by: RField7 | November 23, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

ImNotaWitch, Palin's program IS a political statement. She is crafting an image of herself to run on. It's fair game.

Also, people don't oppose Palin because of sexism. They oppose her because she is a dangerously powerful idiot.

Posted by: purpledrank | November 23, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

You can feel Petri's hatred oozing out of this piece. Note to Petri: The "I hate Palin" rant has been repeated in the Post hundreds of times (and there are even several in today's paper). Find new material, because this line of "thinking" has been beaten like a dead halibut.

Posted by: diehardlib | November 23, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

You can't vote for Justin Bieber. Like me, he was born in Canada and is ineligible to run for president.

We can, however, see Sarah Palin from our houses.

Posted by: CapitalCat | November 23, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I hate to make this a "Black and White" issue, however...its particularly sad and even more troubling that a large segment of white america would support this ill - informed, apparently racist,celebrity hound
for office of the President of these United
States! After witnessing the return to "mob action" by the republican party and
the so called "Tea Party", and after watching the sheer and total lack of respect for the office of the president and the man occupying it by those who are always the first ones to either wave the flag or quote from the constitution...I've
come to the conclusion that white people in
this country have lost their minds! And if
having a black man occupy the white house does this...imagine how much horrible it will be when "Pablo" is president! lol

Posted by: NHITEVIZION | November 23, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Her son Trig would be a better choice.

Posted by: tommytunes | November 23, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

'Unstoppable force'? more like unstoppable farce.
And, yes, her supporters did get past the fourth grade but only because the teacher knew it was hopeless.
you know it's true!

Posted by: michael5 | November 23, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

No teabagger/Repub has pointed out 1 freedom they have "lost" since O was elected. Nor can they, because there are none.

Palin will run, divide the country even more than it already is, and then lose. Just like Angle in Nevada.

I can't wait.

Posted by: nyskinsdiehard | November 23, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I said:

"Well Petri, you should invest in a tire re-tread company..."

==
Then chris76543 said:

"More nonsensical noise from a Palin maroon. I'd like to see anything mature from that sector ... libtards and lamestream ... did any of these people get past the 4th grade?"
=====
So I say:

"Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process."
— E. B. White

I think you meant to insult me by calling me a "Palin maroon." But I googled "maroon" and came up with, "The color between Barack Obama and Sitting Bull."

Or maybe you meant the alternate definition: "A term of derision often uttered by Bugs Bunny." So I'll take it as a compliment, Bugs.

In my post that you refer to, I was poking fun at Petri for re-using (re-treading) Sarin Palin and TSA in several recent columns.

And I may be a "maroon", but not the Palin variety. I'm a lamestream-loving, wee-wee'd up, leftist, libtard maroon to the core. But I WILL admit that my sense of humor never got past 4th grade.

For the record, Sarah Palin's voice makes my ears bleed, but I still like to see her in her jogging shorts with the sound turned off.

So at the risk of clubbing a dead frog to death: Petri, I LOVE your Sarah Palin columns. More, more, MORE!

Posted by: divtune | November 23, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Who cam up with this "libtard" phrase. Why is okay to call libertarians ret@rds? Disgusting. Can't you keep your socail intercourse decent?

Posted by: tommytunes | November 23, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Of course Palin is qualified to run for President. And Obama has proven again, as he did in 2008, that he isn't. And yes, Miss Smarm (Alexandra)--Palin is an unstoppable force, not because of the marvelous American that she is, but because of the many, many millions of intelligent Americans who support her
because they know the facts, and are not taken in by your weak attempts at humor. By the way, I'd rather have someone around who can catch a fish, not in the supermarket, but out in deep water, kill it (do you eat your halibut live, Alexandra?) clean it, filet it and cook it...than someone who has to bribe a lobbyist to take him to a free political dinner.

Posted by: kypriotis | November 23, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin is the proverbial free spirit. She's going to do her own thing no matter what. She will never deny herself simply to appease others. If you have a problem with a woman who doesn't mind being filmed clubbing a halibut to death, Sarah's definitely not your cup of tea.

On the other is you love controversy, she's just the ticket. What you see is what you get, and the critics can go sit on their thumbs. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Posted by: kenger1 | November 23, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I hope she runs with sissors

Posted by: tommytunes | November 23, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Not a Palin fan. However, the media geniuses claimed Obama was qualified. Under that standard, anybody is.

Posted by: zippyspeed | November 23, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

When Sarah was running for VP they said she was 48 years old (meaning she would be about 50 now) She claims to be 46 in her new book. Which is it? Would it be out of line to ask her to produce her birth certficate?

Posted by: tommytunes | November 23, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Why does anyone pay any attention to this person?

Posted by: chicagostanford | November 23, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes I feel bad that I haven't accomplished more in life, but then I think "well, at least I'm not a mouth-breather who thinks Sarah Palin is a straight-talkin', everyman-bein', g-droppin' pal."

Old P.T. Barnum was right...but he may have been a bit low in assessing the rate of suckers born/minute.

Posted by: purpledrank | November 23, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jjlj
------------------------------

jjlj - you are a stupid buttt plug. The only people that would vote for her are the ones even stupider than she is, and I don't think that is enough to elect her.

Personally, I'd like to see her have a guest segment on her show - may hunting with Dick Head Cheney ... and jjlj could go too!

Posted by: xconservative | November 23, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

If you are all so tired of hearing and reading about her, why don't you stop talking about it!!! the same people that despise her so are the ones making her the headlines of all the media you run and feed from. If she is such a looser, why are you so worried about it and/or hate her so much? I'll tell you why: she must be a threat of some sort. Reconcile that with your statements, and the logic does not hold.

Posted by: meds | November 23, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Even though we know Palin is not a viable candidate for President, she thinks so because she was a real-life candidate for Vice President on the Republican ticket (vetted and all).

Posted by: gordonj1 | November 23, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Palin/Gingrich as Presidential Timber?

Doesn't say much for the intellectual level of the "common" man.

Presidential Timber? More like poison oak.

Posted by: lufrank1 | November 23, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

"I hope she runs and wins. Watching all the libtards heads explode will be most entertaining."

I hope she runs and wins the republican nomination too. All sensible democrats hope she wins the republican nomination. Because she cannot win the general election. Because she in unelectable. So, here's to Sarah. Run, Sarah, run.

Posted by: underhill | November 23, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

xconservative wrote:
"jjlj - you are a stupid butt plug."
===
ROFLMAOLOLSTUBUTPLG!

BUT, I wish someone would give me a PLUG like that!

Posted by: divtune | November 23, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I kept looking for the option on the poll that said, "Are you kidding me?"

Posted by: natelevin | November 23, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

"America, is this your way of saying you'd like to elect Mitt Romney?"

No, there needs to be a different question. How about,

"America how can I write a holy litany in your silly mood?"

Posted by: Mark_Regan | November 23, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

"Stick that in your pipe and smoke it."

Already have, thanks. but I still don't understand why the ability to club a fish, admirable as it is, makes about ten percent of the population of the US conclude that this is the woman who should be president. When I see someone clubbing a fish, that isn't the first thing that occurs to me.

Posted by: underhill | November 23, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Like Gingrich, Palin learned that you can first fool, and then make a ton of money from by pandering to the fears of only 1% of the American electorate. (This is the money tree that Bachmann, O'Donnell, and Angle are all trying to shake.) Unlike Gingrich, Palin's own ego may blind her to the reality that the money tree stops giving fruit once you become a formal candidate. I think she's running.

Posted by: BBear1 | November 23, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Have you all forgotten George Bush? Do you not pay, attention to Obama. Could she be worse? OK maybe a little. At least with Palin we would have someone who looked good and today that is where it's at. How would Putin deal with her? Laugh himself to death? Think of dealing with the Muslims. How could they possibly cope? Diplomacy through disbelief. An idea we could live with.

Posted by: AlG1 | November 23, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Once upon a time in America people aspired to be better than their lesser natures. They wanted to be able to understand issues. They worked hard to send their children to school so they could read learned writings. Once upon a time we valued knowledge.

Now we want to drag everyone down to the level of ignorance. There's not a thing wrong with clubbing a halibut. All that frozen fish in the grocery started out this way. It's wrong to think clubbing a halibut means anything other than that you can club a fish.

I can club a fish. You can club a fish. I can gut a deer. So can you. If the Walking Dead comes to reality those of us with these skills might come in handy but it has nothing whatsoever to do with trying to grasp international issues, nuclear policy, the federal reserve, or any other real life issue.

Clubbing fish is engaging and easy for the average viewer to understand. Nuclear policy not so much. Let's elect someone with the right skills and the desire to be educated and knowledegable.

W

Posted by: arancia12 | November 23, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Petri clearly believes O is a genius. I find it shocking that anyone can think O is qualified to to anything at all. Just what, I ask you, does he know about anything? I know a thousand people infinitely more qualified to be POTUS than him but they don't offer themselves because they have to face the wall of cretins like you, Petri, and you sir are not worth saving.

Posted by: jimcoulter8 | November 23, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

She's certainly more qualified than Oboobma, although that bar is being lowered by the minute.

Posted by: thebump | November 23, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

She can run and she can win.
We lowered the bar with Obama.
Now I'm afraid anybody can go over it.

We need to get back to selecting Presidents who have actually Done something measurable.

I am hoping that the 2012 election pits Romney Versus Hillary.
That way, no matter which way it goes, there will be some competency.

Posted by: hfelknor | November 23, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I didn't think she would run, because being President is approximately one million times the responsibility she has now, 24/7, without break, at one millionth the pay she gets now.

But now I think she will, if for no other reason than that the media machine must always be fed new content. The moment she says "I'm not running" her stock begins to fade.

She has no choice. The show must go on.

Posted by: xcrunner771 | November 23, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

My point here would be that Obama comes across as though America had gone to Zimbabwe, Burma, Venuzuela, Cuba, and Communist China and asked for a citizen of their country to represent Americans.

This is most likely what will kill him in the next election.

Regardless of what liberals in the democratic and republican party think of Palin, Obama has performed VERY, VERY, VERY POORLY. I would vote for almost anyone who is NOT Obama, and quite frankly she would never do the damage to this country that Obama has already done.

Posted by: Bornin1947 | November 23, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

She's George Walker Bush in lip gloss and as I recall people voted for him.

Oh well there goes the neighborhood... again.

Posted by: whocares666 | November 23, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

We would never survive as a nation state if this first class, idiotic, moronic, ignorant, beehive headed (remember that first hair back in '08) jackass of a media wh*re gets to within one mile of the oval office. Which in the off chance this actually does happen, I shall observe from a very, very safe and distant place; far from the shores of this Republic.

Posted by: toxicsalami | November 23, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Sarah was being conservative with Bristol on the show. When I started out makeing my 1st million 32 yrs. ago in Alaska the new guys had to eat the heart while it was still beating from the first fish that came aboard.

Posted by: Sockeye2 | November 24, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse