2 men in custody after reports of kidnapping in Bethesda

Police, with dogs and a helicopter, flooded into the area around Walter Johnson High School in Bethesda on Friday afternoon, creating a flurry of excitement, after authorities received a report of a kidnapping, the Montgomery County police said.

According to police, two men were taken into custody in connection with the incident. Reports of the alleged abduction in the vicinity of a school, and the sights and sounds of the ensuing search generated high tension in the busy area, near the intersection of Old Georgetown Road and Democracy Boulevard.

Matters began around 5 p.m. when police received a telephone call, apparently made from a service station near the intersection, according to police spokeswoman Lucile Baur.

She said the man said he had been kidnapped by an assailant who had fled on foot. The report touched off the search, and ultimately a man was taken into custody at a Giant Food store near the school.

Baur said that police believed that both the man who claimed he was abducted and the man picked up at the store may have participated in a robbery earlier in the day.
Few additional details were available late Friday.

--Megan Greenwell

By Terri Rupar  |  January 15, 2010; 8:21 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gilbert Arenas: A man with a golden gun
Next: A punching match over a pizza pie

Comments

The story we heard in the neighborhood was these fellows were actually trying to apply for WJ Football & Basketball Coaching positions.

Posted by: RFC121 | January 16, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

If this incident occurred in PGC, near a school within PGCPS, it would have made front page news. But becaused it occurred in MoCo, it's burried in the education section online.

So criminal activities around MoCo public schools actually DO OCCUR in Mathews highly acclaimed and very transparent support of MoCo public schools??

Interesting.

Posted by: PGCResident1 | January 16, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

PGCR1 - True ..but at least you have a Playbook

Posted by: RFC121 | January 16, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Not "having a Playbook" but well aware of "The Game"

Posted by: PGCResident1 | January 16, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

criminals are getting away with alot of stuff these days.I just had my Id stolen from my house and the police are refusing to give me a report because they said I was under the influenze and their not sure whether my id was stolen or I missplaced it. I tried to explain that someone entered my home and asked to see my Id this person is and ex boyfriend of mines...so I thought nothing of showing him my id.Now that its missing I dont know what he may be doing with it...I feel like a sitting duck...this person could be out commiting crimes or opening up credit in my name.It also doesn't help that its a holiday weekend and I can't get anybody on the phone to help... what should I do? if you have any suggestion please comment

Posted by: msidntko | January 18, 2010 3:57 AM | Report abuse