The 'runners' in Virginia's identity theft ring

Police are still trying to crack the case of the identity theft ring that has targeted Northern and Central Virginia -- and reached as far as Spain. The savvy thieves recently stole about $8,500 in checks from three women after breaking into their cars outside an Alexandria gym. They attempted to get another $13,000 but were stopped by the banks.

Here are a few pictures of the thieves in the act. They were snapped at banks in Baltimore, and are the alleged "runners" -- the thieves who resemble the victims, go to banks and cash checks.

The pictures are fuzzy so it's hard to make them out. But if you recognize any of these women, or have any other information about the case, police ask you to call Alexandria Detective Sean Casey at 703-838-4079 or Sean.Casey@alexandriava.gov.

By Allison Klein  |  February 2, 2010; 3:00 PM ET
Categories:  Alexandria , Allison Klein
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mother, son found slain in Prince William County
Next: Pr. George's firefighters rescue two in separate incidents

Comments

I wish banks, grocery stores and Post Office's would stop being cheap and get better camera equipment. I mean how do you think the public is to help with these type photos?

Posted by: ENJOYA | February 2, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

ENJOYA: I'm not sure what the stats are now, but the banks make a good chunk of change off of victims. I'm not sure if laws have changed to protect consumers involved in these things. I'm planning on closing my credit card with BOA to prevent this. Between the interest and the scams, It's not worth it.

Posted by: FiatBooks | February 3, 2010 6:13 AM | Report abuse

They look black or Latino, that is why we have to profile.

Posted by: nativeva1 | February 3, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Great insight, nativevasmallmindeddork.

Posted by: mike8 | February 3, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Third photo's cell phone conversation:

- "Yeeeah, I'm just at the bank, stealin' a couple thousand bucks from some dope at the gym."

- "Wow, cool!"

- "Yeah I know, I'm pretty awesome."

Posted by: steampunk | February 3, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse