The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Va. seminary fire ruled accidental

The fire that caused $2.5 million in estimated damages to the Immanuel Chapel at the Virginia Theological Seminary last week was ruled accidental.

The National Response Team from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, completed an investigation of the Oct. 22 fire off of Seminary Road and Quaker Lane.

Investigators said the fire started in a trash can in the sacristy of the chapel, said Robert Rodriguez, Alexandria's fire marshal and spokesman. A sacristy is a room where sacred vessels and vestments are kept.

The fire department was called shortly before 4 p.m. on Oct. 22 in response to a fire at the chapel built nearly 130 years ago. Messages from the seminary's board of trustees and dean state they will rebuild the chapel.

-- Christy Goodman

By Washington Post Editors  | October 28, 2010; 3:07 PM ET
Categories:  Alexandria, Fires & Fire Safety, Updates  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Authorities link third shooting at U.S. military building
Next: More police testimony at Levy trial

No comments have been posted to this entry.

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.




characters remaining

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company