Fire, explosion displaces Capitol Hill family
A Sunday night fire on Capitol Hill that caused a bay window explosion displaced a neighboring family of four.
The fire started in the 800 block of 10th Street NE when a plumbing renovation project caused piping to catch fire in a home in the middle of the block about 9:45 p.m., said Pete Piringer, a spokesman for the D.C. Fire/EMS department.
A passerby saw flames and called 911. After firefighters arrived, the second-floor bay window in a house next door exploded and collapsed onto a porch below.
Neither home was occupied and there were no injuries. But another house on the block took on smoke and water damage, displacing a family with two children, Piringer said.
The total damage was estimated at $600,000.
| December 27, 2010; 9:16 AM ET
Categories: Allison Klein, Fires & Fire Safety, The District
Save & Share: Previous: Anne Arundel woman dies in crash
Next: Don't put gift boxes on curb: Police