A stunt or a really drunk man in Arlington?

Allison Klein

Saturday night has to go down as one of the most bizarre at Arlington's Mexicali Blues restaurant in the 2900 block of Wilson Boulevard.

Customers were enjoying margaritas and fish tacos at 8:20 p.m. when a man in a puffy green costume appeared out of nowhere and slammed himself into a plate-glass window, shattering it to pieces.

One customer received minor cuts from the flying glass.
The large, puffy green man, apparently on a bar crawl, ran off, police said.

Witnesses could not figure out the man's costume.

"Conflicting reports of a green superhero or huge green beer bottle costume," said Arlington Detective Crystal Nosal, a police spokeswoman.

Investigators are looking for the man. Understandable. After all, there probably are not a lot of people dressed as puffy green beer bottle-superheroes running around the county.

By Allison Klein  |  February 18, 2010; 4:15 PM ET
Categories:  Allison Klein , Arlington
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Loudoun man sentenced to life
Next: 2 arrested in Northeast D.C. slaying

Comments

"... puffy green beer bottle-superheroes..."

Allison, you are 2 silly. You think if I roll around Arlington this weekend wearing my Oscar the Grouch costume (sans trash can) that I might get arrested?

P.S. I'm trying to think of possible costumes that would look like a combination of beer bottle and superhero, but the only thing I can think of is Gumby, and I'm pretty sure someone would have recognized that.

Posted by: steampunk | February 19, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

You call 30 stitches minor? You call blood all over half an eaten fajita meal minor? What kind of reporting is this? Alison you wouldn't know minor if it was wearing green incredible hulk outfit and jumped through a plate glass window at you. And just for your record, they other dude was beer bottle. Have you ever thought about checking your facts before writing your stories?

Posted by: tims_junk_account | February 19, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

The story might sound funny, but the cuts (lacerations actually) required 30 stitches. The victims' dinner partner wound up with a egg sized bump on her head. The idiot that did this ran away, and no one who was with the jerk has bothered to come forward. There are medical bills, not to mention lost sleep, missed work and real injuries.

Posted by: donoterp | February 19, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Had Allison's intel included the fact that the victim suffered "lacerations" and 30 stitches as opposed to "minor cuts", I'm sure she would've included it in this article.

tim and dono, where did you find this info?

Posted by: steampunk | February 19, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Give her a break, this incident isn't worthy of a Pulitzer-caliber investigative report; she's just repeating what the police told her.

Posted by: Ramuisagod | February 19, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

steampunk, I am the victim's father.

Posted by: donoterp | February 19, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Oh, snap! This might be too personal of a question, but did your son/daughter pay entirely out-of-pocket for the medical bills? I guess there's no insurance for this sort of thing.

Well dono, you should really be thanking Allison for reporting this, considering an article in the Washington Post will only increase the chances of finding this idiot and making him pay for the damage he caused. Hopefully she edits her article to make it sound a bit more serious. From what I can tell, whoever Allison got her info from made it out to be a comical tale, as opposed to a serious police matter.

Posted by: steampunk | February 19, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I have my methods.

Posted by: tims_junk_account | February 19, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

tim, I'm not impressed and neither is Shania Twain.

Posted by: steampunk | February 19, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I saw that annoyingly rowdy costumed crew walking around wilson/clarendon blvds as I was headed back to my apt after a walk in the snow. I totally crossed the street to avoid them. Interesting that my "spider sense" was right. From what I remember they were leaving clarendon ballroom (or near where the short lived mama quans was).

Posted by: wordup1 | February 19, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

A few comments to set the record straight. Stitches - 18. One cut was very close to an eye. But imagine for a moment that you're out on a date having a meal at a restaurant with plans to see a movie on valentines weekend when some jerk dressed in an Incredible Hulk costume decides to chest bump himself in the window. He crashes through injuring you and ruining your date.

Second, regarding payment. Why does it matter who pays? The real answer is that the victim had out-of-pocket expenses. We all probably would. Most insurance plans have either a co-pay or require meeting a deductible before kicking in. Besides, why should the insurer pay? Neither the insurer nor the victim caused the injuries.

Third, the restaurant had expenses. Lost revenue, window replacement and damages.

Fourth, not one of the upstanding citizens that was part of the bar crawl has come forward. I guess it's OK nowadays to destroy property and injure people and just go on your merry way.

Finally, and we don't know yet, but there may be surgeries to get rid of scars left by the lacerations in his head.

I'm sorry, but it just is not funny.

Posted by: donoterp | February 20, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Tim, did you witness this? If so, have you talked with the police?

Posted by: donoterp | February 20, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse