The Crime Scene - To Serve and Inform

Posted at 4:24 PM ET, 02/10/2011

Md. girl, 16, dies in accident

By Allison Klein
Allison Klein

A 16-year-old was killed on an icy road in La Plata Wednesday night when her car smashed into a tree, Charles County police said.

Katherine Kristen Murray lost control of the Honda she was driving at 10:40 p.m. in the 7300 block of Olivers Shop Road, according to police.

Murray, who was wearing a seat belt, died on the scene, police said.

Police believe icy road conditions contributed to the accident.

By Allison Klein  | February 10, 2011; 4:24 PM ET
Categories:  Allison Klein, Charles, Traffic Accidents
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Granddad Bandit' pleads guilty
Next: Shooting during possible robbery attempt

Comments

Sorry for her parents and family loss, but 16 and driving is way to young.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | February 10, 2011 5:42 PM | Report abuse

How sad to lose a child! Knowing how deeply this loss will be felt, I too know how cruel it is for the public to leave thoughtless comments on news articles about the loss of a precious child.

First, driving at 16 is not "too young" to drive. I do know driving experience is what makes better drivers at any age. I have been drving since 15 and 9 months and nearly 30 years later, I am still grateful for the priviledge to drive.

Icy conditions for any aged driver is a challenge. Cars were not designed to conquer driving on ice. There will be plenty of time to ponder the particulars of this tragedy. Right now, the readers who will be family and friends seeking more information on the accident, need our condolences. I wholeheartedly pray for Murray family.

Posted by: Ross65 | February 10, 2011 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Most sixteen-year-olds may drive competently but certainly not skillfully. While the mean age onset of puberty steadily decreases every decade (an alarming trend), adolescent brain development is just not making up for this acceleration into adulthood. This unfortunate teen was probably too inexperienced to handle the iced-over road, which would be hazardous to anybody.

Posted by: FedUpInMoCo | February 11, 2011 7:34 AM | Report abuse

7300 Block of Oliver Shoppe Road is in Hughesville, Md....not LaPlata...

If your going to write on someone losing their life at least have the decency to get all the facts right...

My condolences go out to her friends and family.

Posted by: CMiller0529 | February 11, 2011 7:52 AM | Report abuse

My son went to school with this girl. While I did not know her personally, my heart hurts for her family right now. The school is devastated. So unexpected and tragic. May God bless and comfort them.

Posted by: AmyS1 | February 11, 2011 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I got my license at 16, but was NOT allowed to drive alone nor at night. What is a 16 year old doing out after 10pm on a week day(nite). 16 year olds should be doing homework, playing vid game or some other activity AT HOME that time of night. Tragic. Parents still haven't figured it out. Just because your teen insists that they be allowed to drive and "have a life", YOU are the parent. BE ONE!! I didn't even let my teens get a license until they were in college. Drive my car? Not without me in it. Today, they are all alive, driving and thank me (us) for being in charge. They didn't understand when they were 16, got pissed but got over it. Now they are in their late 20's and tell us all the time that they didn't realize how hard it was to be a parent. One is a social worker and she sees all the "bad" parenting results. So to you all out there trying to be your child's BFF - YOU AIN'T!!! You're the parent, BE ONE!!! Trust me, they will thank you later.

Posted by: SumHaveSaid | February 11, 2011 10:17 AM | Report abuse

My deepest condolences to the family and friends of this young person.

@CMiller0529:

If you're going to criticize someone's fact-checking, please have the decency to check the grammar of your criticism. "Your" and "you're" are not interchangeable.

Posted by: Irato | February 11, 2011 12:37 PM | Report abuse

My deepest condolences to the family and friends of this young person.

@CMiller0529:

Posted by: Irato | February 11, 2011 12:37 PM | Report abuse

@SumHaveSaid:

Very well-stated. Kids can have many friends, but they need parents.

Posted by: Irato | February 11, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@SumhaveSaid: That is one of the stupidest comments I've ever had the displeasure of reading. @Irato: you had me with the grammar comment but lost me when you cheered SumHaveSaid.

It was 10:40pm, well within the curfew limits. She was 16. It was icy. She was wearing her seatbelt. Other than that, not much to go on. How do you know that she wasn't coming home from work? Or visiting a sick relative in the hospital? How can anybody jump to conclusions as to what she was doing out? How can anyone jump to conclusions and blame the parents for being bad parents? How do you know she wasn't swerving to avoid a deer, another car, or maybe somebody walking on the side of the road? OMG, people!! Things happen....tragic accidents happen. Sometimes it's NOBODY'S FAULT!!

Don't be ignorant when commenting about deaths, especially if it's a child. The families don't need to hear it.

My thoughts and prayers to the family.

Posted by: aktotlykrzy | February 11, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Please remove the comment by slipuvalad@1:40.

Posted by: mcaicedo | February 11, 2011 2:03 PM | Report abuse

@aktotlykrzy: Maybe I should've qualified my statement better. I only agreed with the comment regarding parents trying to be friends instead of filling the role of parents; not necessarily in this context, though.

Posted by: Irato | February 11, 2011 2:11 PM | Report abuse

As a father of two boys who are just on the cusp of learning to drive, a child dying this way is a parent's nightmare no matter what time of day or night, no matter the road conditions, no matter if you're a friend or a parent to that child.

Condolences to family and friends.

Posted by: mcaicedo | February 11, 2011 3:17 PM | Report abuse

THE COMMENT "SUMHAVESAID" POSTED ABOUT WHY IS A 16 YEAR OLD OUT AFTER 10 PM, WELL I CAN TELL U THE REASON. MY GIRLFRIEND ACTUALLY WORKED WITH KATHERINE. THEY BOTH DIDNT GET OFF OF WORK TILL AFTER 10PM THAT NIGHT. SO THERE IS YOUR ANSWER. SHE HAD A JOB, SHE WAS BEING A RESPONSIBLE YOUNG KID.

Posted by: SCORPION32384 | February 12, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse